JULIAFERNO

Passport style photo requirements - confused!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I remember reading a post where the petitioner recieved an RFE, and one of the reasons was because their passport style photos were not 2" x 2". I am reading over the I-129F Instructions, and it currently states:

"Give USCIS a passport-style color photograph of yourself and a passport-style color photograph of your fiance, with both photos taken within 30 days of the date of filing this petition. The photos must have a white background, be glossy, un-retouched and not mounted. The dimension of the full frontal facial image of you and your fiance in separate photos should be about one inch from your chin to the top of your hair. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print the name (and Alien Registration Number, if known) on the back of each photograph."

Now, that doesn't say anything about 2" x 2". My fiance has his photo taken and the dimensions are approximately 4.5cm x 6cm (5.1 cm = 1 inch). He told them he need a passport-style photograph and this is what they gave. Is this appropriate?

Also, what does "not mounted" mean? There is a small white trim around his photo - is this "mounted"?

I know these seem like minute details, but to USCIS it seems they can make the difference between an RFE or not, and of course I'd like to avoid that!

Thanks again!

shoes-1.jpg

tt3083899fltt.gif

AOS Timeline:

- 06/30/2009: Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

- 07/02/2009: AOS packet received

- 07/08/2009: Check cashed

- 07/10/2009: Received all 3 NOA1s

- 07/14/2009: Received biometrics appt.

- 07/29/2009: Case transferred to CSC

- 08/01/2009: Advanced Parole Documents Issued

- 08/06/2009: Biometrics appointment completed

- 08/11/2009: EAD issued (received 8/14)

- 11/12/2009: AOS approved

- 11/20/2009: Green Card in hand!

* Complete timeline in profile under "Signature and Story"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I got mine done in Canada- I had to specify 2x2 photos. Our passport photos in Canada are a different size than 2x2. The guy who took mine had previously worked in the US and knew exactly what I needed.

Not mounted generally means not attached to anything.

I remember reading a post where the petitioner recieved an RFE, and one of the reasons was because their passport style photos were not 2" x 2". I am reading over the I-129F Instructions, and it currently states:

"Give USCIS a passport-style color photograph of yourself and a passport-style color photograph of your fiance, with both photos taken within 30 days of the date of filing this petition. The photos must have a white background, be glossy, un-retouched and not mounted. The dimension of the full frontal facial image of you and your fiance in separate photos should be about one inch from your chin to the top of your hair. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print the name (and Alien Registration Number, if known) on the back of each photograph."

Now, that doesn't say anything about 2" x 2". My fiance has his photo taken and the dimensions are approximately 4.5cm x 6cm (5.1 cm = 1 inch). He told them he need a passport-style photograph and this is what they gave. Is this appropriate?

Also, what does "not mounted" mean? There is a small white trim around his photo - is this "mounted"?

I know these seem like minute details, but to USCIS it seems they can make the difference between an RFE or not, and of course I'd like to avoid that!

Thanks again!

US Passport Photo requirements are (of course) not exactly the same as the rest of the world - you can't just get a passport style photo in another country and expect it to 'fly.' (Even though many have done this and it has been smooth sailing.) The photos need to be 51 mm x 51 mm. See HERE for more information than you'll ever want to know about passport style photos. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In Colombia passport style photos are also different from the US, then when we explained to the guy at the photo place what we needed them for he said "Oh, you need US visa photos". And that was that, they were the correct size.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Timeline

"I know these seem like minute details, but to USCIS it seems they can make the difference between an RFE or not, and of course I'd like to avoid that!"

In some regard, it depends on the officer adjudicating the petition.

Too small will get rejected before too large, but really, just go with the 2x2.

Make sure the background is white or neutral- that generates more refusal of photos than size.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is from Morocco and his passport pic was smaller...we had no problems but we decided to take our chances and got lucky i guess! good luck

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.