Daher.Diane

location of the wedding..

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello, I have a question, does it matter where our wedding is taking place? We might have our wedding in a 3rd country would that be a problem? my parents live in that country for over 20 years, and I've lived there in the past. Just woundering what are the disadvantages to this action.

Thanks for the opinions in advanced.

DD.MM.YYYY

12.02.2008 - Married In Court In Amman.

16.02.2008 - Wedding Party.

12.03.2008 - I-130 Mailed.

19.03.2008 - I-130 Check Cashed.

21.03.2008 - I-130 NOA-1 Recieved In Mail.

13.06.2008 - I-130 Approved.

24.06.2008 - NVC Case No. Assigned.

01.07.2008 - NVC AOS Bill Generated.

30.07.2008 - NVC Case Complete.

21.10.2008 - Interview.

23.10.2008 - Visa.

29.10.2008 - US Entry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Usually, third party countries have specific rules for non-citizens getting married in their country. So first look online if the country you want to get married in makes it easy or not.

Secondly, make sure that the visa you apply for allows your husband to be processed in the country where he lives - or - where the marriage took place.

Hello, I have a question, does it matter where our wedding is taking place? We might have our wedding in a 3rd country would that be a problem? my parents live in that country for over 20 years, and I've lived there in the past. Just woundering what are the disadvantages to this action.

Thanks for the opinions in advanced.

Where exactly are you from? As long as there is an American Embassy or a Consulate in your area and they process visas, I don't see any problems that might arise. And you would have to go through a K3 visa path like I did.

Timeline

I live in Jordan. and my parents are asking if I could do the marriage where they live, and its the United Arab Emerites, and I'm sure it has a US embassy.. I'll try to see what kind of laws they have about two forigners getting married there.. thats important I guess..

DD.MM.YYYY

21.10.2008 - Interview.

23.10.2008 - Visa.

29.10.2008 - US Entry.

Filed: Other Timeline

If you get married there and petition for the K3, the interview for the K3 will be there, rather than in the beneficiary's home country. That's about the only draw-back, unless the consulat in the third country where you intend to marry does not process K3s, or if they are slower than the consulate in the beneficiary's home country.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

If you get married there and petition for the K3, the interview for the K3 will be there, rather than in the beneficiary's home country. That's about the only draw-back, unless the consulat in the third country where you intend to marry does not process K3s, or if they are slower than the consulate in the beneficiary's home country.

I'm confused by this answer, how does the country you are marrying in have any bearing on the country the spouse is living in? This person has not indicated that they will be staying in that country permanently after marrying. It seems like a temporary visit purely to fulfill the request of their parents. The forms you complete ask only for the full current address of the benificary and the place that you got married in. You would never put a "holiday" address on there.

Edited by C and J

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Wow, unbelievably the country of marriage does make a difference. I honestly thought that it couldn't be right to have such a stupid (sorry if it makes sense to some, but it certainly doesn't to me) stipulation in place :blink: That means if my husband and I had chosen to travel to Australia for our wedding, I would have had to travel there again to obtain the visa :wacko: Thankfully, we married in the USA so I can pick up my visa in merry old England.

Thanks for this new (to me) piece of information Reba :)

USA K-3 visas:

The second method for spouse immigration to the US is to apply for a K-3 visa or US spouse visa, designed specifically for the purpose of bringing a spouse to the United States. The process of applying for a US visa for immigration of this kind is begun outside the United States but completed within the country. Applications must be made in the country where the marriage took place and in addition, must fulfil the following requirements:

Parties must be legally married. Unmarried cohabitation is not included in this category and unmarried partners may not sponsor USA visas

The sponsoring party must be over 18 years of age in order to sign an affidavit or support.

In addition, a selection of documentation will be required including the applicant's passport, medical examinations and police clearances, proof of the petitioner's (sponsor's) citizenship, marriage certificate and where applicable documentary evidence of the termination of any previous marriages.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Wow, unbelievably the country of marriage does make a difference. I honestly thought that it couldn't be right to have such a stupid (sorry if it makes sense to some, but it certainly doesn't to me) stipulation in place :blink: That means if my husband and I had chosen to travel to Australia for our wedding, I would have had to travel there again to obtain the visa :wacko: Thankfully, we married in the USA so I can pick up my visa in merry old England.

Thanks for this new (to me) piece of information Reba :)

USA K-3 visas:

The second method for spouse immigration to the US is to apply for a K-3 visa or US spouse visa, designed specifically for the purpose of bringing a spouse to the United States. The process of applying for a US visa for immigration of this kind is begun outside the United States but completed within the country. Applications must be made in the country where the marriage took place and in addition, must fulfil the following requirements:

Parties must be legally married. Unmarried cohabitation is not included in this category and unmarried partners may not sponsor USA visas

The sponsoring party must be over 18 years of age in order to sign an affidavit or support.

In addition, a selection of documentation will be required including the applicant's passport, medical examinations and police clearances, proof of the petitioner's (sponsor's) citizenship, marriage certificate and where applicable documentary evidence of the termination of any previous marriages.

That is correct. K3 visas are issued at a Consulate in the country the marriage took place. CR1 or IR1 can be issued in the country of residence. The OP needs to look into all their options very carefully in order to select the one that best matches their needs. Starting with looking into the marriage to foreigner requirements in the intended country of marriage is an excellent idea. China for instance would not allow two non-citizens to register a marriage. One must be a Chinese citizen. Other countries may have similar laws.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Wow, this community is awesome! Thanks for all the info, I think this answers our question…sorry parents, you’re coming to Jordan!

DD.MM.YYYY

21.10.2008 - Interview.

23.10.2008 - Visa.

29.10.2008 - US Entry.

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm confused by this answer, how does the country you are marrying in have any bearing on the country the spouse is living in? This person has not indicated that they will be staying in that country permanently after marrying. It seems like a temporary visit purely to fulfill the request of their parents. The forms you complete ask only for the full current address of the benificary and the place that you got married in. You would never put a "holiday" address on there.

Hey, not my rule, I'm just the messenger! And you don't put the "holiday" address on the forms, but you DO put the city and country of where the marriage took place, and that will automatically have the package sent to that country, NOT your home country. This is of course only for the K3, not for the CR1. Which I agree, is a stupid rule, but I'm sure USCIS have their reasons for it.

I've been here at VJ quite a long time, and I've seen more than one couple get caught by this stupid rule, and its not fun either having to travel back to that third country for the K3 interview, or to haggle with USCIS to have your file transfered to your home country. Its just easier to get married in the beneficiary's home country or the US, and if you have to later, have a "wedding" anywhere else to satisfy family requirements.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hey, not my rule, I'm just the messenger! And you don't put the "holiday" address on the forms, but you DO put the city and country of where the marriage took place, and that will automatically have the package sent to that country, NOT your home country. This is of course only for the K3, not for the CR1. Which I agree, is a stupid rule, but I'm sure USCIS have their reasons for it.

I've been here at VJ quite a long time, and I've seen more than one couple get caught by this stupid rule, and its not fun either having to travel back to that third country for the K3 interview, or to haggle with USCIS to have your file transfered to your home country. Its just easier to get married in the beneficiary's home country or the US, and if you have to later, have a "wedding" anywhere else to satisfy family requirements.

As with nearly all rules, people do actually use this one to their advantage. Plenty of China folks used to get married in Hong Kong, so their K3's would process much faster through the Embassy there than at the Consulate in Guangzhou.

The reason for the rule has to do with its original intent. It was assumed the process would be fast, so if the marriage took place in a country, that's where the people or foreign spouse was currently living, working etc.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.