4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sooo sorry they are being that way :(

not cool at all.

Keep your chin up and keep living :D:thumbs:

Ramos

My uncle asked me on facebook today...

"So you gave up free healthcare eh? Oh I'd just like to know what you are planning to do when you and your son get sick and you have to pay to see a doctor"

People must think I am stupid. Yea I totally didn't think of this when I decided to move down here in the first place.

I will get health care through my soon to be husbands work...it was one of his deciding factors when taking the job. The fact that it had a plan for the three of us.

And I didn't give up free health care in Canada, I gave up extreme taxing.

Yes I loved our health care in Canada, and I loved having a system that didn't discriminate but it was hardly "free". I would love a universal system down here but I don't think it is ever going to happen.

I am just annoyed that people treat me like I am an idiot and didn't take these important things into consideration.

Oh and my family has a divorce pool going. Isn't that nice? I have never been married before, and I have been with my fiance for over 4 years.

They're being complete ####### - pardon my language.

da thread killa

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I will get health care through my soon to be husbands work...it was one of his deciding factors when taking the job. The fact that it had a plan for the three of us.

Yes I loved our health care in Canada, and I loved having a system that didn't discriminate but it was hardly "free". I would love a universal system down here but I don't think it is ever going to happen.

I am just annoyed that people treat me like I am an idiot and didn't take these important things into consideration.

Oh and my family has a divorce pool going. Isn't that nice? I have never been married before, and I have been with my fiance for over 4 years.

Now THIS is a vent. Yes, I also left the triple taxation country. I got sick of paying 16% on goods and then paying 40% taxes every year for HORRIBLY subpar healthcare. I only have been to the hospital twice, but if it was life threatening I have no questions that I'd be dead. God forbid I ever needed an organ transplant.

As for the divorce pool, that is actually SICK and abusive. You poor thing.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

That is really atrocious of them!

My mom is being so annoying (although in a different way than that) that I'm considering telling her the wedding is off and not telling the truth until our 10th anniversary. She can't wait until we are married and can't we do something to make the process go faster---but she has not yet met my fiance and she hasn't really even asked me all that much about him as a person. It's like she just wants that MRS in front of my name for its own sake, which peeves me to no end. She also wants me to change my name, which I don't plan to do.

Non family-related peeve: A few people on here were very helpful giving me information on the stupidly long line-ups at the BC/Washington State border. There were two issues about this. One was we thought Westjet would offer him much lower fare to Vancouver than Horizon would to Seattle (my parents live in Bellingham, Washington). As it turns out, we will both fly to Sea Tac. The other issue (and here is my vent) is that a good friend of mine from Vancouver has recently returned from living overseas and I have not seen him in over two years, so I wanted to figure out when the border lineups would be least ridiculous so either we could go there to meet him for dinner or he could go to Bellingham to meet us. Turns out he's going to theGalapagos Islands and won't even be hom! Okay, that's the trip of a lifetime and it is expensive enough that you have to go when you can get a good deal, but FFS he knew I was coming. Would it have killed him to have told me he was going to be out of town? If he complains about being the last person in my circle of friends to meet my fiance, I will absolutely scream!

And CSC still hasn't cashed my check.

Dang, I sound like a really negative person, don't I?

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Timeline

My mother already told me she isn't going to come to the wedding. Nor is the rest of my family.

For a long time I was really upset, but now I just need to get on with my life. My son will give me away, my wedding day is going to happen with or without them. And I am not going to let it get me down. I've accepted it. It isn't my problem anymore, it's theirs.

I am sure later on they'll regret it....especially since the food is going to be realllly good.

And Sonoran: You don't sound negative at all. I'd be upset if my friend couldn't set at least an hour of time aside for me especially if I hadn't seen them in two years.

Donne moi une poptart!

The F***?! :wacko:

Granted, the other day my mother said to me, "Don't change your last name. Don't do it. Just wait until you know he's the right one." Me: "...........um, thanks for the input." -_-

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

I am pretty tired of people making all these rules and opinions about people just because they live across an IMAGINARY LINE that means absolutely nothing.

Argh.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

I am pretty tired of people making all these rules and opinions about people just because they live across an IMAGINARY LINE that means absolutely nothing.

Argh.

I guess that is one big advantage we have as the child and grandchild of immigrants who crossed an ocean to get (respectively) to Canada and the US.

You don't sound negative at all. I'd be upset if my friend couldn't set at least an hour of time aside for me especially if I hadn't seen them in two years.

Thank you, Sprailenes. I can't fault him for going to Ecuador, it's just that it might have been nice of him to let me know this. Basically, it came up sort of tangentially as an "I'm-going-to-Ecuador-in-5-weeks" kind of thing. Um, hello?

This is also about my third rant of the day. I wrote a diatribe about AT&T billing me for calls to Canada at the "basic overseas" rate on another board (a loooooong diatribe) and ranted to my coworker earlier about how hard it is to find jeans that fit. That's why I feel like I am being kind of negative. I mean really, it is a beautiful fall day out and (whenever USCIS gets around to adjuticating our petition) I'm marrying a wonderful man who adores me. What do I really have to complain about?

K1

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

Removing Conditions

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
This is also about my third rant of the day. I wrote a diatribe about AT&T billing me for calls to Canada at the "basic overseas" rate on another board (a loooooong diatribe) and ranted to my coworker earlier about how hard it is to find jeans that fit. That's why I feel like I am being kind of negative. I mean really, it is a beautiful fall day out and (whenever USCIS gets around to adjuticating our petition) I'm marrying a wonderful man who adores me. What do I really have to complain about?

Well, I think if you vent then you are able to move on to those sunnier thoughts. :thumbs: (see you are doing it already!)

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sprailenes...I SO understand you! My brother thought I was going to pay for everyone in my family to come down for my wedding! What does he think I am, made of money? My mom and dad worked their butts off building a basement so that my siblings could have money, like 8000 dollars apiece, there's two of them, for school. I never got any help for school, and am STILL paying off student loans!

Not only that, but now Mom says that they're not coming for the wedding because they just can't afford it! HellO?!?!? It's my wedding! Whatever, I will probably have a better time without her anyway!

Oh yeah, and while I'm talking about my mother, when Andrew was here in August he proposed. My family happened to be here that weekend also. My mom pestered him SO much that he had to phone her (when I was in the bathroom) to tell her to F**K off or she'd ruin the surprise! I'm sure he said it in nicer words than those, but still...that was the idea. THEN when he didn't propose in this little dingy restaurant while she was there, she was pissed! He proposed to me later that evening when the family had left and we were by ourselves. When I phoned to tell her about it she was SO MAD! She couldn't even PRETEND to be happy for us. I couldn't believe the gall she had, SERIOUSLY!

Okay, so I'm mad at my mom...but man that felt good!

And what's with people getting approvals, or NOA1's in my case, before others?! Like they file in October and get their NOA1 in 5 days and I've been waiting three weeks since September and still don't have anything?! How is that fair? I mean come on! OH! And what's with the ever changing estimated approval dates?! At this rate, maybe I'll get to have an October wedding! ARGHHHHHHHHHH! Another year! That's ridiculous!

Oh my, well, this is supposed to be the place to vent. Sorry!

Edited by TheATeam

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm also stuck at home with the flu, and T-minus fifteen hours until the courthouse wedding.

How exciting! Obviously not about the flu part...

Vitamin C overdose time.

I'd be careful there, if I were you. Too much Vitamin C can cause diarrhea. That's rarely a fun addition to anyone's weekend. :P

My uncle asked me on facebook today...

"So you gave up free healthcare eh? Oh I'd just like to know what you are planning to do when you and your son get sick and you have to pay to see a doctor"

People must think I am stupid. Yea I totally didn't think of this when I decided to move down here in the first place.

It seems some people just don't understand that there's no such thing as "free healthcare." I suppose the reason many believe it's "free" is because they end up paying with high taxes and not having to pay at other times, so they don't readily notice the money draining. The funds have to come from somewhere, so there's no way it could be "free" and remain operational.

As for the "divorce poo," well... that's just sick. You'd like to believe that your family would want you to have a long and happy marriage; not taking bets on when and how you'll divorce! If they ever decide to quote statistics, which state that 50% of all marriage fail, make sure to point out that the numbers also mean that 50% of all marriages survive as well. That little fact gets glossed over, for some reason or another.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Liz, you have NO idea! I can't wait to move just for that fact alone! It can be so difficult sometimes. It's crazy, like my mom can't wait for me to move, but at the same time is like why couldn't you have fallen for someone closer to home? So strange.

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

If my fiance had proposed to me in front of my mother, that would have been a deal breaker.

The only proposal I can imagine being less romantic is the guy on "Overheard in New York" who apparently proposed to his girlfriend over the cell phone --- from a public restroom. With "biological sounds" in the background, including his own. Eeeeeeww! That one could only be worse if Larry Craig were in the next stall.

K1

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

Removing Conditions

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

If my fiance had proposed to me in front of my mother, that would have been a deal breaker.

The only proposal I can imagine being less romantic is the guy on "Overheard in New York" who apparently proposed to his girlfriend over the cell phone --- from a public restroom. With "biological sounds" in the background, including his own. Eeeeeeww! That one could only be worse if Larry Craig were in the next stall.

HAHAHA thanks for my laugh for the day!! :lol::lol::lol:

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.