DeadPoolX

Online Conversion

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been using a website called ONLINE CONVERSION for some time now (I first found it while taking a physics class) and as far converting units of measurement go, it's really cool! To make a long story short, you can convert any unit of measurement that exists into a different one.

For most people, this feature probably won't be all that helpful. However, for us, it might prove useful. After all, one member in our relationship is a U.S. citizen and one is a Canadian citizen -- that means one of us is used to using the Imperial system of measurement and the other, the Metric system of measurement. These are quite different and it can be somewhat confusing when you have to go back and forth between the two.

So if you can convert miles to kilometers or Fahrenheit to Celsius (or whatever) in a move as easy as pushing a button or two, why not? It's a lot simpler than doing it all in your head! I'd recommend that too, but if you're online, you might as well take advantage of the resources the Internet offers us.

I hope this helps anyone who's been have difficulty with the two systems. :)

Its always good to understand what 43 pesos per liter relates to in the gallons world :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I've been using this site for a few years DeadPool. Thanks for the link for others! I mainly just use it now when I'm sending email to my friends back in Canada. When I was going to school, could it have been 6th grade? They changed the system to metric. One of the things my school anyway enforced, was NO CONVERSION. You just had to simply start using the new system, and get used to it. :lol: All in all, it worked. Before long it was the only thing I knew. I remember when Gene and I were chatting, or emailing, and I'd quickly look up the temperature he was quoting, and converting it. Now that I'm here, I figured I just had to use the "new system", and have since stopped "converting" back to metric to make it understandable. Just like when I was a kid, I don't convert anymore. I just use the system here in the US. That's my choice though. I"m finding it really helpful. It helps confirm to me that you can teach an old dog new tricks as well! haha

I still use it for my co-horts back in Canada though!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been using that site ever since I met my husband since he doesn't know celcius and I don't know fahrenheit! :P I use it for other measurements too like gallons and ounces, etc.

For weather, I go to http://www.weather.com/ and you can view the temperatures in "English" or metric.

Canada is a little funny though as it's not purely metric (can't remember when things were switched over). It's a mishmash of imperial and metric but most items in Canada (food, paper, etc.) have both measurements on it. I know my weight in pounds, but I don't know it in kilograms. I'm more familiar with inches than I am with centimetres. I know celcius, but I don't know fahrenheit, etc.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

I've been using that site ever since I met my husband since he doesn't know celcius and I don't know fahrenheit! :P I use it for other measurements too like gallons and ounces, etc.

For weather, I go to http://www.weather.com/ and you can view the temperatures in "English" or metric.

Canada is a little funny though as it's not purely metric (can't remember when things were switched over). It's a mishmash of imperial and metric but most items in Canada (food, paper, etc.) have both measurements on it. I know my weight in pounds, but I don't know it in kilograms. I'm more familiar with inches than I am with centimetres. I know celcius, but I don't know fahrenheit, etc.

Hey I do the same Misa!!! Except that I must have been blonde for a while cause in the beginning I was checking the temp in Farenheit and then I was doing the conversion on another website... :blush: Until I saw my husband checking the temp in Celsius and I asked him how he did that.....never saw that metric thing before :whistle::lol:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I know exactly what you mean. My fiancee does everything in Metric except her height and weight. It's the same with her sister and brother-in-law too.

My fiancee's parents, on the other hand, tend to think in Imperial measurements. Her father, for instance, will use feet, yards, inches, etc. He knows Metric, but I think he prefers the "old way" of doing things. Not that I mind. It's nice that someone understands me when I say something like, "Yeah, that place was 40 miles away." He'll know exactly what I mean, whereas my fiancee will a vague idea, but won't really understand it unless I convert it into kilometers.

I usually do that for her anyway. I've learned the whole MPH to KM/H thing, just by looking at my car's speedometer. Naturally, I still know MPH much, much better, but I can gauge KM/H fairly well now too.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I use this site too. I too use both systems. Lived in NZ for several years which has metric and I was quite comfortable with it, after going to an American school and basically growing up with imperial.

Then back to Canada and metric. Since all measurements for produce, meat etc at the store are still basically in imperial (on the signs if not on the packaging) - I'm back to that again.

My Husband is Australian and periodically I find myself looking at him saying something like, how many cm in an inch? He generally just gives me a blank stare. :blink:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think I have had any problems with conversions. I know once Mel and a few friends were trying to figure out something in milliliters- one of his friends found the answer poking around the net on his blackberry. I wasn't really paying attention to what they were doing at the time but I later said- "why didn't you just ask me?"

With converting Celsius to Fahrenheit my father taught me a simple trick- take the number in Celsius, times by 2 and add 30.

So if it is 25C then it would be 80F. I don't know how precise this method is, but if it at least gives me a rough idea, then it is good enough for me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I don't think I have had any problems with conversions. I know once Mel and a few friends were trying to figure out something in milliliters- one of his friends found the answer poking around the net on his blackberry. I wasn't really paying attention to what they were doing at the time but I later said- "why didn't you just ask me?"

With converting Celsius to Fahrenheit my father taught me a simple trick- take the number in Celsius, times by 2 and add 30.

So if it is 25C then it would be 80F. I don't know how precise this method is, but if it at least gives me a rough idea, then it is good enough for me.

it's good for a ballpark figure. although the method i learned was x2 add 32.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

it's good for a ballpark figure. although the method i learned was x2 add 32.

That's what I do too! :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.