Zil

Appointment Processing Consulate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi Everybody,

Can someone who is not from an English speaking country help me clarify the translation requirements for documents need to be sent to NVC with DS-230? I did not have receive Packet 3, yet but it is likely that it will be generated tomorrow. I would like to get everything prepared before it arrives in the mail.

Quote from NVC's website: " Note: All documents not in English or in the official language of the country in which the interview takes place MUST be accompanied by a certified translation into English"

Is there any instructions in packet 3 received from NVC regarding the translation? All of my documents are in the official language of the country in which the interview will take place.

Thanks in advance,

Zil

Packet 3 or the Instruction Agent Packet will ask you to go to a link and will eventually take you to your specific consulate. On that site, it will tell you to translate any documents not in English and attach it with your ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED TRUE COPIES. This is true statement for everyone.

IR-1

Immigration Process

2007-02-22 **I-130 Sent to VSC

2007-07-02 **I-130 APPROVED at USCIS- CSC

2007-10-10 **CASE COMPLETED at NVC

2007-11-15 **INTERVIEW DATE. APPROVED at USEM!!!

USA

2007-12-02 **Arrival from MNL to JFK (NYC)

2007-12-10 **Visit to SSA

.png

Claudeth had to get her German police clearance translated

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Thanks Guys,

I actually know the link. The quote is from there.

After I choose my consulate I get here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

This link is common for all Appointment Processing consulates. If I click on the links that deal with documents all have the same note I quoted:

"All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations. "

But I keep reading here that people are sending in (or requested to send in) translated copies to NVC with their application.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
Can someone who is not from an English speaking country help me clarify the translation requirements for documents need to be sent to NVC with DS-230? I did not have receive Packet 3, yet but it is likely that it will be generated tomorrow. I would like to get everything prepared before it arrives in the mail.

My general advice: Translation should be certified by a disinterested party competent in both languages.

That doesn't mean the third party has to necessarily prepare the translation, though most professionals would insist that they do the translation so they know exactly what they are certifying (translation errors can be hard to spot). However, the third party can just review the translation and then certify it. The translation can be attached to a photocopy of the original document, but NVC will still want to receive the original document to compare the copy to the original in that case. I have not tried submitting certified copies of the original.

The third-party and certification does not have to be in the U.S. Ideally, the certification should be in an affidavit format at the bottom or the back of the translation or attached to it, executed before a notary. The affidavit statement I've been using, taken from professional translations done for me in the past (I haven't received a decision from NVC accepting this yet):

Affidavit of Translation Accuracy

STATE OF _________ )

COUNTY OF _________ )ss.:

I, __________________, residing at ________________________ U.S.A. hereby certify under the penalties of perjury that I am competent in __________ and in English and that the above is a true and faithful translation of the attached document in _______________ language.

Signature

Sworn to before me this

______ day of _____________, 2007.

Notary Public

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline

My general advice: Translation should be certified by a disinterested party competent in both languages.

That doesn't mean the third party has to necessarily prepare the translation, though most professionals would insist that they do the translation so they know exactly what they are certifying (translation errors can be hard to spot). However, the third party can just review the translation and then certify it. The translation can be attached to a photocopy of the original document, but NVC will still want to receive the original document to compare the copy to the original in that case. I have not tried submitting certified copies of the original.

The third-party and certification does not have to be in the U.S. Ideally, the certification should be in an affidavit format at the bottom or the back of the translation or attached to it, executed before a notary. The affidavit statement I've been using, taken from professional translations done for me in the past (I haven't received a decision from NVC accepting this yet):

Affidavit of Translation Accuracy

STATE OF _________ )

COUNTY OF _________ )ss.:

I, __________________, residing at ________________________ U.S.A. hereby certify under the penalties of perjury that I am competent in __________ and in English and that the above is a true and faithful translation of the attached document in _______________ language.

Signature

Sworn to before me this

______ day of _____________, 2007.

Notary Public

Thanks Chris for the detailed information. My original question meant to find out the actual policy of NVC regarding document that are on the official language of the country where the interview takes place. The website indicates that it is NOT necessary to do a translation.

Was any of you instructed by the NVC (in a form of an RFE or verbally) to provide an English translation of such documents?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
Thanks Chris for the detailed information. My original question meant to find out the actual policy of NVC regarding document that are on the official language of the country where the interview takes place. The website indicates that it is NOT necessary to do a translation.

Was any of you instructed by the NVC (in a form of an RFE or verbally) to provide an English translation of such documents?

NVC is a bunch of contractors in New Hampshire charged with collecting and reviewing documents in advance of submitting the case file to an embassy abroad. The official language in New Hampshire is English, so I think a document in any other language will need a certified translation or else NVC will not be able review it.

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Hi Everybody,

Quote from NVC's website: " Note: All documents not in English or in the official language of the country in which the interview takes place MUST be accompanied by a certified translation into English"

Is there any instructions in packet 3 received from NVC regarding the translation? All of my documents are in the official language of the country in which the interview will take place.

Thanks in advance,

Zil

Verbatim instructions from DS-230:

RE: Translations

Translations

Applicants must obtain English language translations of any documents that are written in another language.

The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

Translation is accurate, and Translator is competent to translate.

RE: Certified Copies

Please obtain the original documents or certified copies from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity)

* This means if you get a copy of a document, IT MUST BE CERTIFIED BY THE SAME DEPARTMENT WHERE YOU GOT THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT.

Edited by Nutty

Timeline

NVC is a bunch of contractors in New Hampshire charged with collecting and reviewing documents in advance of submitting the case file to an embassy abroad. The official language in New Hampshire is English, so I think a document in any other language will need a certified translation or else NVC will not be able review it.

Thanks Chris,

I called NVC today because they processed my choice of agent form incorrectly. Althouh it was a no-brainer they managed to do so.

I also asked the person about the translation requirements. She insisted on English translation of the documents although she could not tell me why the website informs applicants differently. I may send an email asking them to fix the problem.

Zil

Timeline
Hi Everybody,

Thanks in advance,

Zil

Verbatim instructions from DS-230:

RE: Translations

Translations

Applicants must obtain English language translations of any documents that are written in another language.

The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

Translation is accurate, and Translator is competent to translate.

RE: Certified Copies

Please obtain the original documents or certified copies from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity)

* This means if you get a copy of a document, IT MUST BE CERTIFIED BY THE SAME DEPARTMENT WHERE YOU GOT THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT.

Thanks, Nutty!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.