4 posts in this topic

There's lately been an increasing trend of new petitioners who have been worrying about the "proof of ongoing relationship" that they've been sending with their initial I-129F package. I've looked at the K1 guides and wondered whether it's possible to clear up the "documentary proof" section, as it currently gives off the impression that proof of an ongoing relationship absolutely has to be sent with the petition (and not proof of having met within 2 years).

While we're on it, I suggest that we clarify the difference between primary and secondary evidence of having seen each other last within two years.

For example (some stuff copied and pasted from the guides):

Documentary Proof of having met within the last two years

*Provide a reasonable amount of proof. Use as many of these items as possible. There is no minimum, but the more you can provide to prove that you have met within the last two years, the less likely you are that you will receive an RFE.

*Two to four of each type is usually sufficient. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. As you will be proving a bonafide and genuine relationship at your consulate interview, you may wish to save the bulk of your evidence for that time.

*You may want to highlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies, so that adjudication is easier for the person that is reviewing your file.

*Make copies of all originals as you will usually not receive the contents of your original package back from USCIS.

Primary evidence: Copies of all airline boarding passes, train passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, passport stamps (make sure you can read the dates on the stamps), and other documentary evidence that you have met or visited each other within the last two years.

Secondary evidence (typically this does not prove by itself that you have met within the last two years, but may supplement primary evidence): Photos of you and your fiancé(e), copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

Thoughts, concerns?

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Sounds like a great idea to improve the clarity of things :). As you said there are the USCIS requirements "per the letter" and then the recommended extras. If someone can recommend a way to state things that makes the guide more clear I would be happy to make the edits! :)

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Documentary Proof of having met within the last two years

Secondary evidence (typically this does not prove by itself that you have met within the last two years, but may supplement primary evidence): Photos of you and your fiancé(e), copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

My concern is that if you look at the text of some of the recent RFE's received by members, what you are indicating as secondary evidence the USCIS is indicating that this is the type of information they DO NOT want to see because it is not evidence at all so it cannot even supplement....

LAST MEETING: the petitioner and the beneficiary must have met in person between October 17, 2004 and October 16, 2006. Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petition. The primary evidence may include copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military orders, letters from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the Service to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the two years. The secondary evidence may be airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day and year), ATM and credit card transactions, flight itinerary on airline/travel agency letterhead, etc. NOTE: secondary evidence is used to support any primary evidence that has been submitted. The following DOES NOT constitute evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.
Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline

Don't get carried away with this.

It USED to be held on VJ that SOME evidence supporting an ongoing relationship is helpful. While it may not be necessary for approval of the I-129F, some evidence gives the consular officer a glimpse into the relationship prior to the interview. This evidence can be particulary useful at high-fraud consulates.