Fandango

OP says 'Please Close This Thread'

125 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I've not done it, but its been done to me. For example, on that thread about Iwo Jima being renamed.

which turned into a flamefest.......

When the flames were stoked, and not across the board. Plenty of points made that could have been addressed otherwise.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a thread gets out of control, then fine...mods, lock it! But for any OP to have ultimate say on what goes on in the thread....so long as it doesn't violate TOS, I don't understand the control aspect that an OP has on any of his/her threads.

Its quite possible you'll never understand why someone would request it to be closed in that situation. Unless someone who has actually done it will come in and explain it (and even at that, you may still not 'understand' their reasoning).

Just one of those things that makes us all different, I suppose!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I've not done it, but its been done to me. For example, on that thread about Iwo Jima being renamed.

which turned into a flamefest.......

When the flames were stoked, and not across the board. Plenty of points made that could have been addressed otherwise.

i got tired real quick of being attacked. so it was locked. live with it.

got an ax to grind by any chance?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You weren't attacked. You were oversensitive.

it's all perspective. and i say attacked. live with that too ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Oh. Obviously I missed the fact that this was all directed at ONE person. I thought it was a serious question.

Sorry - please carry on.

SA4userbar.jpg

same here...i thought it was a general statement ...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Perspectives often get distorted, especially when people get angry. Not least when a person considers a comment made about a specific remark they made to be an attack on them personally.

As to "living with it" - well... I have. It is an example of what we're talking about. We could talk about generalities all day without once making reference to a single, specific example.

Edited by Number 6

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I personally have no problem with locking a thread if the OP requests it. I can honestly say that there aren't THAT many of them where the OP requests this; maybe a couple a week maximum? I can sometimes get none for a couple of weeks, so I personally don't have an issue with it.

That's me though, others feel differently I guess.

I think that, if people here have a problem with a thread being locked, in the future that they should just PM the OP and ask them directly why.

Oh and that goes for any other ongoing "issues", please take it to PM, don't clutter this thread, or I'll have to use VJ Troll's "STFU" suggestion! ;)

Edited by Mags

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

#######....did I miss summat again???

Number 1 best response so far.... especially for the use of the word "neener" :content:

I wonder why some people feel the need to criticise others all the time for being too sensitive. Is it just an ego-boost? "I let everything just roll off my back! Neener!"

Imagine that - some people are more sensitive, others not so much. Wow!

Number 2 best response so far

Its quite possible you'll never understand why someone would request it to be closed in that situation. Unless someone who has actually done it will come in and explain it (and even at that, you may still not 'understand' their reasoning).

ok...carry on....

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
OTHER THAN a thread gone horribly wrong ie wayy tmi for the OP which causes embarrassment, I don't see why the OP of any thread 'gets the power' so to speak to shut down an entire convo. I've said this before, so this is nowt new, but it does irritate me with 'I think I'll lock this soon' and 'please close this thread' when there's NO APPARANT REASON.

Your thoughts?

It's just in your mind! :D Maybe that's just an early sign of having "AIDS" ( Acquired Irritability Due to Singleness) :lol:

"Our life & material possesions are just lent to us. We are all passers by. We bring nothing when we die,but leave behind the LOVE we have given & the goodness we have done."

Filed: Timeline

It was a general statement....I've seen it more than once here where there's nothing directed at anyone, and then the thread is 'closed at the request of the OP'

Had I not started a thread about the very same thing months earlier, maybe you all could easily believe it to be a witch hunt directed at just one person. Then again, people will believe what they want.

;)

It's just in your mind! :D Maybe that's just an early sign of having "AIDS" ( Acquired Irritability Due to Singleness) :lol:

I'm not single, hon :no:

If a thread gets out of control, then fine...mods, lock it! But for any OP to have ultimate say on what goes on in the thread....so long as it doesn't violate TOS, I don't understand the control aspect that an OP has on any of his/her threads.

Yeah of course ppl's motivations are their own, but the policy of the OP always having the 'ultimate say' in a thread seems silly to me. Which was really the point of this thread.

Yeah of course ppl's motivations are their own, but the policy of the OP always having the 'ultimate say' in a thread seems silly to me. Which was really the point of this thread.

Then I suppose only Ewok can speak as to the site's 'policy' on the subject.

The rest of us can really only speculate (or argue about it).

SA4userbar.jpg