JA Tam

"I do" becomes "no you don't"

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

When I saw this news story in the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, I knew I had to share it:

'I do' becomes 'no you don't' in feds' probe of marriages

Sarah Langbein

Sentinel Staff Writer

August 30, 2007

Vladimir Danilov's wife never stepped inside his home, even after they married.

After all, the 40-year-old Danilov was living there with a girlfriend half his age.

Malkhaz Kapanadze's bride would have needed to board a plane to see him. He was living in Brooklyn with his other wife and their child.

These Volusia County marriages -- and many others, investigators say -- were more like business transactions than stories of happily ever after.

They were at the heart of a federal investigation into a Central Florida couple accused of arranging marriages between U.S. citizens and immigrants who wanted the fast -- and fraudulent -- path to citizenship.

Ten thousand dollars bought a spouse and a shotgun wedding, records show. The citizenship suitors were discovered at Narcotics Anonymous meetings. Prostitutes and day laborers were bought off for $1,000 up front and $300 a month until a green card came for the strangers they wedded.

At least five men, from Israel, Uzbekistan and Georgia, have been prosecuted for illegal entry into the country based on the marriage scams. They've been sentenced to time served and given unsupervised probation, provided they leave the United States.

The couple suspected of arranging the scams, Larry and Natalia Humm, are now divorced. Larry Humm, a former Volusia County deputy sheriff, has struck a deal with federal authorities to cooperate in the prosecution of others -- including his wife, according to court filings earlier this month.

Larry Humm remains free, while Natalia Humm, his Russian-born ex, is behind bars. Neither could be reached for comment.

Security worries

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has established specific task forces that target this type of activity. Barbara Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for the agency's Southern office, said these marriages "pose a severe threat" to public safety and security.

A five-year probe in California resulted in "Operation Newlywed Game," in which more than 50 people were indicted on suspicion of arranging sham marriages for Chinese and Vietnamese nationals. It is thought to be the largest marriage-fraud bust in the United States.

"At the end of the day, they're trying to circumvent the law," Gonzalez said.

It also happens to be the fastest way to get a green card, said Carl Shusterman, a Los Angeles immigration attorney who used to work for the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The process can take up to 20 years in other cases, he said.

It's unclear from court documents how this alleged scheme began, but it appears the Humms made their money from word-of-mouth advertising -- both here and abroad.

Soon-to-be couples were introduced in Natalia Humm's Daytona Beach office, Power of Attorney Inc., according to court records. There was no courting, no wooing and typically little time to make each other's acquaintance. They'd travel to the Volusia County Courthouse to obtain their marriage certificates and return to the office for a sparsely attended wedding ceremony, in which Natalia Humm officiated in her role as a notary public, court records show.

After the I-dos, the newlyweds posed for pictures that they would later use as proof to immigration officials of their commitment. The women were instructed to take their husbands' last names for purposes of Social Security cards and change their drivers license addresses to those of their spouses.

To further make the marriage look real, they were told to leave clothing and personal belongings at each other's homes and to set up a joint bank account, according to federal court documents.

Money was exchanged the day of the ceremony. Typically, the bride would receive $1,000. A recruiter would usually be paid a $500 finder's fee. Sometimes the money came in a brown envelope. In one case, a bride was given a 1999 Dodge Intrepid in return for her continued participation in the scam, according to court records.

For every month forward, the foreigners would pay their citizen spouses $300, a marriage rent of sorts. The payments would end once a green card was issued.

In the meantime, the husband and wife rarely saw each other, unless it was for a meeting with government officials, documents show.

An end to the ruse

When immigration officials arrived at the home of Danilov's wife on Sept. 14, 2006, it had been a while since she had spoken to her supposed husband. The special agents knew that, but they didn't let on.

The woman said she and her husband were going through some "rough times" and that they were living apart, court records show. She told them Danilov was at work and she had talked to him earlier that day.

Problem was, Danilov had been in jail since the night before on an outstanding warrant for grand theft.

When she was confronted with that information, the woman confessed.

She told them of the fake marriage and monthly payments, and she showed them a single sheet of notebook paper with information she was supposed to memorize, according to court documents.

Written across the top was Danilov's name. It was a list of basic biographical information -- birth date, son's name and birthplace -- and likes and dislikes -- his favorite color is white and he hates seafood.

"I recognize my mistake," Danilov said in federal court last year at his arraignment. "I get married to a U.S. citizen to be legally in the U.S."

Eleven days later, federal search warrants were executed on the Humms' office and home. Natalia Humm told authorities about "her involvement in marriage fraud and the fact that she knew that what she was doing was against the law," according to court documents.

Investigators estimate the couple had ties to more than 25 but fewer than 99 fraudulent marriages, according to Larry Humm's plea agreement. In one case, the couple divorced before a green card was issued because they feared getting into legal trouble.

It didn't help. The husband, Israeli citizen Erez Alul, was prosecuted and sentenced to three years' unsupervised probation -- provided he left the country and didn't return.

Sarah Langbein can be reached at slangbein@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5020.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko::blink:

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

do you ever wonder how many fraudulent people have passed through VJ? Just makes you wonder.....hmmmmmmm

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
do you ever wonder how many fraudulent people have passed through VJ? Just makes you wonder.....hmmmmmmm

Yes, I do!

I also see many which makes me think 'that poor USC doesn't know what's gonna hit em'

yeah.... creeps! :angry:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

I doubt that many. The people organizing these marriages know the system inside and out already. And the people participating in the sham marriage just sign where they're told to sign and pose for the photos.

It's why we can't have nice things. :angry:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just wonder how it is that they can get through everything,when you look at what we have to go through to prove to USICS the our relationships are for real how can the frauds get through without being detected and not only that but the time it takes to get it done hummm!

Gotta love our countries, we are all ligit here ( at least I think and hope) we all want to go home!!!

So come on USICS push us through the way it looks like you did with the frauds!!! :whistle:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I doubt that many. The people organizing these marriages know the system inside and out already. And the people participating in the sham marriage just sign where they're told to sign and pose for the photos.

It's why we can't have nice things. :angry:

Yes, but using a VJ account could be just another one of their ruses to appear legit...know what I mean?

You're right though...things like this are IMHO just one of the reasons it's tough on the ones doing it the right way. *sigh*

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I just wonder how it is that they can get through everything,when you look at what we have to go through to prove to USICS the our relationships are for real how can the frauds get through without being detected and not only that but the time it takes to get it done hummm!

Gotta love our countries, we are all ligit here ( at least I think and hope) we all want to go home!!!

So come on USICS push us through the way it looks like you did with the frauds!!! :whistle:

I am pretty sure that the USCs in most VJ relationships are probably legit, but you have to wonder sometimes.... well, just look at the Effects of Major Family changes section...

But in any case the process isn't really all that thorough. Prove you've met in person once and have a continuing relationship, which can be met by a pretty low bar.... sometimes you have to have met in person three times. If it's a really tough consulate.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

About 30% according to some stats I've seen somewhere.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Wow, that's a pretty high percentage. :wacko:

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wow, that's a pretty high percentage. :wacko:

Well I think the stats included couples who actually wanted to be together, but wouldn't

have gotten married otherwise. Not exactly what you'd call "fraudulent", but immigration

did play a role.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

:angry::ranting::girlwerewolf2xn: Don't even get me started on those things. I get so upset when I hear about stuff like. I think there should be a straight line that the only way you can marry a foreigner is by either applying for a K1 / K3/CR-1. Everything else should be made illegal without any exceptions. I personally do not believe in 'spontaneous' weddings while a non-USC is in the US on some sort of tourist or student visa.

That sure raised my usually low blood pressure now.

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
:angry::ranting::girlwerewolf2xn: Don't even get me started on those things. I get so upset when I hear about stuff like. I think there should be a straight line that the only way you can marry a foreigner is by either applying for a K1 / K3/CR-1. Everything else should be made illegal without any exceptions. I personally do not believe in 'spontaneous' weddings while a non-USC is in the US on some sort of tourist or student visa.

That sure raised my usually low blood pressure now.

Well thank God the law doesn't yet agree with this brand of ignorance.

"I do not believe in spontanteous weddings while a non USC is in the US on some sort of tourist or student visa" - isn't that like saying you don't believe the sky is blue? Doesn't change the fact that the sky IS blue.

(And do you honestly think that even if AOS from within the country was outlawed, that people would defaud on K1s or K3s or CR/IR-1s? No, the fraud on those would just skyrocket.)

I get upset when I heard about this stuff, too. It doesn't mean that every single person who marries and adjusts status is trying to defraud the government.

Edited by athena_ny

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.