30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Yes he is Filipino, and they had a baby togetther, she had been with her BF the whole time my son was here working long hours to send her money and pay for all the fee's and get her paper work done, and she was pregunant with the BF baby girl. even when they chat with web cam she was hideing the belly...sad because my son was hurt, and now he has a new love "Filipina" and he still has to spend money for an annulment and cant even start the process, how long is an annulment and how much does it cost? Im just thankful he is not hurting any more and he has a smile on his face again with this new Love she is very nice and HUmble ,

So your son had a child with this woman, she got pregnant again with her BF, but she was still married to your son? Now he wants a divorce or annulment, but he has already found and fallen in love with another Filipino woman?

Wow...

NO he dont have a child with her, while he was working on getting her papers, it took a year she was in the Philippines and he was in the US and she was Cheating on him and had a baby with a guy their in the Philippines, and when it was time to come here to the US ha had already paid all her fee's and it was time for her interview, and she dident go because she was fixing to have the other guys baby, they were married in Nov 05 and papers was done and time for interview in Dec 2006, and he meet this other filipina 7 months later, and he is thinking if it works out with her how can he bring her here if their is no divorce in the Philippines, he is asking about an annulment? WOW...She commited adultry and and got caught..got Preg.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

That was a little high, I had a friend there that was going to set her up with a less expensive lawyer but she picked this one. Where would the annulment take place? In what city I mean. If she is near Makati I can set you up with a good friend that works in the courthouse that can help you out. That lawyer wanted 4000. Who would file for the annulment?

So he met this other lady 7 months after Dec/06 - ie: July of this year, ie last month and wants to be free to marry her ??

If that were my son, I'd be worried about his deperation in finding a "bride" and his poor judgement in looking to make a lifetime commitment with A> someone he hardly knows and B> who lives so far away that there is no real chance to date and get to know one another in person.

There, that's my preaching for the day. I'm sure your son has his reasons, but maybe he needs to slow down on finding a wife, especially after his last marriage seemed to never really get off the ground.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

The U.S. citizen can divorce a Filipino citizen and the government will recognize the divorce but not visa versa. We were given these instructions at the L.A. consulate when Claudeth renewed her passport.

I have seen situations like this many times including it occurring to a friend of mine who was living there and his wife was cheating on him.

Well Good news we talked with a Attorney in Manila he said my son can divorce here and dident have to have an annulment so im so thankful , i was hoping he could just get the divorce, and move on with his life...

So he met this other lady 7 months after Dec/06 - ie: July of this year, ie last month and wants to be free to marry her ??

If that were my son, I'd be worried about his deperation in finding a "bride" and his poor judgement in looking to make a lifetime commitment with A> someone he hardly knows and B> who lives so far away that there is no real chance to date and get to know one another in person.

There, that's my preaching for the day. I'm sure your son has his reasons, but maybe he needs to slow down on finding a wife, especially after his last marriage seemed to never really get off the ground.

He dont plan to marry now, he is working on his divorce, he has not seen his wife in 2 years, he is just writing to this other girl now, he is going over their next june, nothing soon...he knows better! he is leaving everything in GODs hands..

He dont plan to marry now, he is working on his divorce, he has not seen his wife in 2 years, he is just writing to this other girl now, he is going over their next june, nothing soon...he knows better! he is leaving everything in GODs hands..

It's very sad your son had to go through this experience. I hope he'll have a brighter future with his new found love. MAy God bless him.

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry

Filed: Other Timeline
The U.S. citizen can divorce a Filipino citizen and the government will recognize the divorce but not visa versa. We were given these instructions at the L.A. consulate when Claudeth renewed her passport.

I have seen situations like this many times including it occurring to a friend of mine who was living there and his wife was cheating on him.

Well Good news we talked with a Attorney in Manila he said my son can divorce here and dident have to have an annulment so im so thankful , i was hoping he could just get the divorce, and move on with his life...

He can? And marry another woman from that country?

How weird are the laws there?

You're such a cool dad :thumbs:

If you dont mine me asking how old is your son?

p1010202qr6.jpg

-------

CR1-CR2

06/22/07 - Sent I-130

12/04/07 - Approved

06/26/08 - Interview

07/04/08 - Visa on hand

08/08/08 - Arrived in US

08/21/08 - SSN and GC in mail

Removing Conditions

06/15/10 - Mailed I-751 packet via USPS

06/17/10 - Delivered to CSC

06/22/10 - Check was cashed

06/24/10 - Received NOA letter (Dated 6/17/10)

07/03/10 - Received biometric letter (Biometric Appointment dated 07/23/10)

07/20/10 - Early biometric done

08/13/10 - APPROVED

He can? And marry another woman from that country?

How weird are the laws there?

Very. In fact, if he is a citizen of the Philippines, he can divorce her in the U.S. and he can remarry in the U.S., but the divorce would not be recognized in the Philippines. He would not be able to marry anyone in the Philippines again and she will be forever ineligible to remarry in her country unless she seeks and is granted an annulment. She would also be ineligible for a fiancee visa to the U.S. since she is still considered married in her country. If he were not a citizen of the Philippines, the divorce would be recognized there and they would both be free to remarry--even in the Philippines.

Have I confused you yet? :blink:

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

sorry to hear about your son's situation.

Maybe he should consider the K1-path (which means the Fiancee Visa) to avoid the same situation.

Best Wishes for Your Son.

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
As long as "abroad" doesn't include the Philippines, sure. A divorce in the US is a valid divorce countries that recognize divorce. With a certified copy of a divorce decree he can prove he is free to marry in nearly all countries. If he wants to seek his next spouse in the PI, he'll need an annullment.

Hi, sorry to hear about that. there is no divorce law in the philippines however there is annullment of marriage. it means legal separation. he could marry again after the annullment of thier marriage. the only thing about it is it cost a lot and longer. Good luck and God bless

Hello my son married a woman in the Philippines, and after months of fees, support, and waiting to get her here, she decided that she didn't want to leave her family. We later found out through a family member that she had gotten back with her boyfriend and she had already had a babywith him. The whole time my son was sending her money to support her over there, she was pregnant by another man and decieving him. He hired a attorney here to help him file for a divorce. Does anyone know if this divorce is considered valid if he ever wants to find love again abroad. It has been a month since the attorney mailed certified papers for her to sign, and the letter hasn't been sign for containing the papers. What is the best way to go! I really appreciate all input and advice because I need to hear from people who know about this kind of thing. Thanks!!!!

Only if he wants to get married in the Philippines.. if he met a lady for the Philippines, he can get a K-1. That is what I did.

Yogi

• 2 weeks later...

The annulment in the Phils will take at least 10 months and may even count 2-3 years. I knew someone that it took about 125K in Phil pesos ($2,700++) and the process took about 10months, but this was a non-contested annulment. If your son files for annulment, he might be asked to come back to the Philippines for the court proceedings and may also be met with a psychologist. All cases are different, but that's just how far I know.

IR-1

Immigration Process

2007-02-22 **I-130 Sent to VSC

2007-07-02 **I-130 APPROVED at USCIS- CSC

2007-10-10 **CASE COMPLETED at NVC

2007-11-15 **INTERVIEW DATE. APPROVED at USEM!!!

USA

2007-12-02 **Arrival from MNL to JFK (NYC)

2007-12-10 **Visit to SSA

.png

He can? And marry another woman from that country? How weird are the laws there?

The lawyer is right, your son can file for divorce in the US and need not file an annulment in the Philippines. The divorce obtained in the US (by the US citizen spouse) will be recognized in the Philippines. The Filipino spouse shall then have the capacity to remarry.

Divorce obtained by a Filipino citizen in the US, however, will not be recognized in the Philippines.

Rebeccajo, the link below will help to understand our law.

http://jlp-law.com/blog/effects-of-foreign...ilipino-spouse/

On 17 July 1987, shortly after the signing of Executive Order No. 209 (Family Code), Executive Order No. 227 was also signed into law, amending, inter alia, Article 26 of the Family Code. As so amended, it now states:

ART. 26. All marriages solemnized outside the Philippines in accordance with the laws in force in the country where they were solemnized, and valid there as such, shall also be valid in this country, except those prohibited under Articles 35(1), (4), (5) and (6), 36, 37 and 38.

Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law. (Italics supplied)

Article 26, par. 2, is an important innovation belatedly introduced by the Aquino Government, which is intended to extricate the Filipino spouse from an absurd and unjust situation in which he or she is married to someone who is not married to him or her. This provision applies only to cases where at the time of celebration of marriage, the parties are a Filipino citizen and a foreigner. In effect, this provision introduces divorce in our country, much less extends some degree of recognition to foreign divorce, although in exceptional cases.

Significantly, Article 26, par.2 now includes cases involving parties who, at the time of the celebration of the marriage were Filipino citizens, but later on, one of them becomes naturalized as a foreign citizen and obtains a divorce decree capacitating him or her to remarry. The Filipino spouse should likewise be permitted to remarry as if the other party were an alien at the time of solemnization of the marriage (Republic vs. Orbecido, GR 154380, 5 October 2005).

Edited by PatientlyWaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.