samwatts

Expidited Cases/ Wedding Dates etc etc :)

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
No offense to the I-129F vets here (well, not much anyway) but I think its bullsh*t that people make up dates to push their interviews through. All that happens is that honest people who wait in line and don't LIE on their paperwork get pushed further down the que. I mean, ####### people??

I have my visa in hand now so most of the stress is over, but I waited a good three or four weeks longer than many people with similar timelines to get my interview scheduled. Thats because I wrote the TRUTH on my correspondence to the embassy (thats what you sign to say you have given) - that I hadn't scheduled a wedding date (remember being told not to schedule a date??). And you know what? I could've done with those extra few weeks so that I wouldn't have had to sit on my now unemployed ### for an extra month.

I hope the embassy turns round and asks one of you people for some evidence to back up your date claim - it might pursuade some people to be a little more honest.

I think you need to climb off your high horse. If memory serves me correctly the question doesn't ask you if you have hard and fast travel plans, in fact the Embassy advises very strongly against making plans until you have the visa to hand, it asks when you plan to travel. To answer that question with an approximate date you hope to travel bearing in mind the advice the Embassy has given is quite sensible and is doing what they ask.

Most of us had dates by which we hoped to be on our way pray tell what is wrong with giving the Embassy that information, especially as they ask for it. If the Embassy only expected people to reply to that question when they had concrete plans in place having told people not to do just that I doubt they would even include that question in the first place.

By the way please point to one post in which anyone has said you should lie to the Embassy when answering that question.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me correctly the question doesn't ask you if you have hard and fast travel plans, in fact the Embassy advises very strongly against making plans until you have the visa to hand, it asks when you plan to travel. To answer that question with an approximate date you hope to travel bearing in mind the advice the Embassy has given is quite sensible and is doing what they ask.

The only time I was asked when I intended to travel was on the interview day. I'm sure it asks somewhere on the Packet 3 receipt when your intended wedding date is (I remember being surprised by this). I told the truth and said it was not yet scheduled. Any more recent interviewees remember this?

By the way please point to one post in which anyone has said you should lie to the Embassy when answering that question.

Making up a date IS lying - and there are plenty of people who have done it and posted about it. Its called making a false declaration.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Timeline
I wasn't specifically replying to you (hence no quotes) and I appreciate that your situation isn't as simple as just making up a date. However this idea of making up a date to push through an interview is a recurring theme in this and other, previous threads.

Just an opinion I needed to air. After all, I don't think a website such as VJ should be - to an extent - condoning such activity.

ok but we are all here to figure our way through this and we are a community

What about James' short cuts which I used and which saved me two months ? I suppose I didn't push anyone back by doing that but I 'gamed' the system nevertheless.

I dislike queue jumpers myself but if x % are not that bothered about an early date because they are finishing a college course for instance, then why shouldn't someone who feels more urgent, press for an earlier date using whatever they have ..

Lying about an intended wedding date ? I am a bit argumentative and instinctively I would like to argue, but I suppose you are right - drat.

Yes you are.

But anything short of that I would push my case and put it in it's most advantageous way (yes to the disadvantage of someone else - obviously) ... It's not fair that stupid people get rejected at job interviews - or people with venereal disease through no fault of their own have an immigration rejection added to their problems, but thats the way it is.

I once stepped back and let a lot of mothers and elderly people board a plane in front of me and when I got on (yes I was actually on) they decided they had handed out too many boarding cards - I was told to get off as I was last on. Makes you think. Ethics eh ? difficult.

Ok you are absolutely right - and the truth is the truth - but there can be a bit of fuzz around the edges here, where pushing an otherwise weak case by exaggerating things doesn't amount to a bare faced lie...

We all know where the line is deep down inside...

moresheep400100.jpg

I wasn't specifically replying to you (hence no quotes) and I appreciate that your situation isn't as simple as just making up a date. However this idea of making up a date to push through an interview is a recurring theme in this and other, previous threads.

Just an opinion I needed to air. After all, I don't think a website such as VJ should be - to an extent - condoning such activity.

ok but we are all here to figure our way through this and we are a community

What about James' short cuts which I used and which saved me two months ? I suppose I didn't push anyone back by doing that but I 'gamed' the system nevertheless.

I dislike queue jumpers myself but if x % are not that bothered about an early date because they are finishing a college course for instance, then why shouldn't someone who feels more urgent, press for an earlier date using whatever they have ..

Lying about an intended wedding date ? I am a bit argumentative and instinctively I would like to argue, but I suppose you are right - drat.

Yes you are.

But anything short of that I would push my case and put it in it's most advantageous way (yes to the disadvantage of someone else - obviously) ... It's not fair that stupid people get rejected at job interviews - or people with venereal disease through no fault of their own have an immigration rejection added to their problems, but thats the way it is.

I once stepped back and let a lot of mothers and elderly people board a plane in front of me and when I got on (yes I was actually on) they decided they had handed out too many boarding cards - I was told to get off as I was last on. Makes you think. Ethics eh ? difficult.

Ok you are absolutely right - and the truth is the truth - but there can be a bit of fuzz around the edges here, where pushing an otherwise weak case by exaggerating things doesn't amount to a bare faced lie...

We all know where the line is deep down inside...

Do we?

I can appreciate that people will try to push their case - after all, as you say, we're all trying to get through this and we've all got to do what we've got to do..

..and, I wasn't trying to point an individual finger. I don't want a VJ slagging match.

But the fact remains that there have been many instances of people on these boards having admitted to "inventing" wedding dates to try and push their case along. And I'm afraid that is just "not cricket" and is a false declaration. Come on? Have I experienced some kind of Total Recall thing or has that not happened?

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

Timeline

The specific question is

When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.?

(Provide specific date if known)

I returned my packet 3 end of September. My wife really wanted to be home in time for Thanksgiving, and we had told the people buying our house if all went to plan we would be gone before end of November and hopefully sooner. I was leaving work 8th November.

We had no hard and fast travel plans, but in answer to that question I said we intended to travel on 12th November. It was the earliest date we intended to travel, if all things worked out. How is that lying I stated my intent and being mindful of the Embassy advice refrained from making hard and fast travel arrangements until the visa was delivered. We were help up a week by our buyer and that problem didn't arise until after I had the visa and said pick your completion date after 8th November. They picked the 20th.

As you have now decided we have advised people to make up dates where has that been said. All we have said is put a date.

Many people have tentative plans they are trying to following, to give some indication of your intent when specifically asked for it is not lying it is common sense. To be blunt if you didn't comprehend the question don't come blaming us because you think you were disadvantaged by not answering it. If indeed someone isn't in the least bit concerned about when they travel I agree leave it blank but that I would suggest would be a very small minority of people on VJ indeed. The other 99.9% need to advise the Embassy when they intend to travel to stick to tentative hopes and plans.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline
[And I'm afraid that is just "not cricket"

Now you are going to have to forget all about that concept. Americans have no idea at all what it means or have an equivalent. :innocent:

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

The specific question is

When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.?

(Provide specific date if known)

Yes, I've seen that questio . There is also a reference to a proposed wedding date. Perhaps this is given on more recent paperwork..?

As you have now decided we have advised people to make up dates where has that been said. All we have said is put a date.

No, that isn't what I said. I said I didn't think it was something we should be condoning to the clear detrement of other VJers. To be clear - I'm not talking about giving the embassy an intended travel date. Of course this is fine as they do ask for this. I'm talking about making up a wedding date to try and push your case through when all the advice says "do not fix a wedding date". Look on pages 16/17 (and beyond) of this thread for evidence of people doing just that!

To be blunt if you didn't comprehend the question don't come blaming us because you think you were disadvantaged by not answering it.

I have several pieces of headed paper saying I'm intelligent. Please stop presuming I can't read.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

I think you are misunderstanding each other - Ruby is a K-1 applicant and referring specifically to the intended wedding date, which evidence suggests the embassy DOES accomodate when scheduling interviews. There were a few about a few months back who stirring up a hornet's nest about it.

I do see his point.

Though I think if you are "cricket" about your case you won't be able to help yourself getting a little upset at some of the stuff you read.

90day.jpg

Timeline

No, that isn't what I said. I said I didn't think it was something we should be condoning to the clear detrement of other VJers. To be clear - I'm not talking about giving the embassy an intended travel date. Of course this is fine as they do ask for this. I'm talking about making up a wedding date to try and push your case through when all the advice says "do not fix a wedding date". Look on pages 16/17 (and beyond) of this thread for evidence of people doing just that!

There is no where I could see in this thread where people have advocated making up dates or said they have done so. Certainly on the pages you mention people have put down intended travel dates and intended wedding dates so what, that is what they have tentatively planned so why shouldn't they put down dates. The Embassy advice is not to make plans you cannot easily change not to make any plans at all.

I don't believe anyone on here is condoning lying to the Embassy and it is disingenuous of you to suggest that we are. We are trying to make sure people are not inconvenienced by having to wait for interviews because they didn't give the Embassy sufficient information. If you think otherwise you are entitled to do so, I shall continue advising people to make sure they put a travel date on that form.

All advice given on here is available to all VJs to take or ignore as they wish. The only people who might be disadvantaged are those that don't use this board.

As an aside the person who told me to make sure I put a date on my form is a very close friend and was a professional colleague as well as being a senior Consular Officer at the United States Embassy in London.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline
I think you are misunderstanding each other - Ruby is a K-1 applicant and referring specifically to the intended wedding date, which evidence suggests the embassy DOES accomodate when scheduling interviews. There were a few about a few months back who stirring up a hornet's nest about it.

I do see his point.

Though I think if you are "cricket" about your case you won't be able to help yourself getting a little upset at some of the stuff you read.

Hey there is nothing like having a discussion where both people are right, that is always a good outcome among friends. :thumbs:

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Making up a date IS lying - and there are plenty of people who have done it and posted about it. Its called making a false declaration.

This has always annoyed me, too. Esp. when people who put bogus dates (or otherwise push for an 'early' interview') get interviews before people who may have legit reasons for needing an earlier date (sick relative, losing their housing or job, etc).

We are SO lucky to be going through London. Its one of the fastest consulates, and one of the most consistant when it comes to helping people make dates that they need to make. To otherwise push them to get you in and out faster than they already will - esp. if you have no definite need for it - seems selfish to me.

Not having a go at anyone in particular - just making a general observation about things I've seen over my time at VJ. (Which is a looong time, to be sure :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

A genuine question here - has anyone made up dates when contacting the Embassy? I know everyone has different circumstances and London IS very good at working around your dates, but there are suggestions that people fabricate dates and admit to it, and I don't remember seeing that?!?

As I said, just posing a genuine question.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

This has always annoyed me, too. Esp. when people who put bogus dates (or otherwise push for an 'early' interview') get interviews before people who may have legit reasons for needing an earlier date (sick relative, losing their housing or job, etc).

We are SO lucky to be going through London. Its one of the fastest consulates, and one of the most consistant when it comes to helping people make dates that they need to make. To otherwise push them to get you in and out faster than they already will - esp. if you have no definite need for it - seems selfish to me.

Not having a go at anyone in particular - just making a general observation about things I've seen over my time at VJ. (Which is a looong time, to be sure :lol:

Tracy u 'ole timer u' :lol::P

When i sent my P3 back never gave them any dates yet i still got a quick interview date...got P4 one week and my interview was like 6 days later....so i think it just depends on how busy they are.........i think :whistle:

Separated!!

Timeline

So I should miss my medicare date at age 65 because some air head fiance got pregnant and wants to get settled in and hang pink wallaper in the nursery ? Bit extreme I suppose but what is important and justified to someone else might not be important to me - its all too subjective.

As long as nobody is lying, then putting your 'reasons' in the best possible light is just part of our 'market' economy. Anyone who is laid back enough to wait for whatever date comes along can't be all that motivated.

It's like buying beer in an English pub - if you don't push through to the bar then you are not going to get served.

It's like a single gal going out for the night and putting lipstick on

What do I put on the form 'I am feeling really good and all my relatives are healthy so make sure you put me at the end of the queue otherwise I will feel horribly guilty'

This 'holier than thou' thing is one American trait that does annoy me and I reckon it came over with the pilgrims.

One minute it's 'I cannot tell a lie' and the next minute it is 'Baghdad is full of WMD's'

Nuclear

Chemical

Biological

jeez

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
A genuine question here - has anyone made up dates when contacting the Embassy? I know everyone has different circumstances and London IS very good at working around your dates, but there are suggestions that people fabricate dates and admit to it, and I don't remember seeing that?!?

As I said, just posing a genuine question.....

I haven't seen it either so it's hypocrasy and envy in equal measures that is stalking these streets.

When I did K1, Carolyn did have a reason to have medical tests and was down about it and worried and I blew it up as much as I could on the covering letter and got a 1 month date when everyone else was 6 weeks.

I didn't lie but I emphasised the issue to see if they would recognize that and give us an earlier date... So there we are - a public confession !

Does that make me an immigration cheat and a liar ? Should I have my current petition cancelled ? Should I be extradited and given 10 years in jail in one of those big cages listening to people being sizzled on death row ?

This President has lied and caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Americans

The last President 'did not have sex with that woman'

Compare that to my heavily emphasizing a genuine medical problem of a woman living alone in a cabin in the snow in Wisconsin !

Jeez unreal man! what a set of hypocritical puritan prigs.

Come on and get your pristine white halos off and get real... we are the little people fighting for our little place in the world while every American President since tricky dicky nixon is burgling/bonking and killing with no criticism from the schoolmarmish mother superiors who play mind games with us and tell us how flawed we are

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.