10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just curious... do you think they prefer family members or friends to write the affidavit letters to prove our marriage? I was thinking of using my mother inlaw and husbands step mom since they know us the best since even before we got married. We just have 1 friend in common, but we hardly see each other because of distance and we dont get out too much. any advice would be much appreciated.

Rob and Jessica

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have no idea which they prefer, however we hedged our bets and included some of each: 1 from hubby's parents, 1 from my old boss who knows us both, and 1 from a mutual friend. We don't see any of these people on a day-to-day basis as we live in different states, however I'm still confident our letters will adequately support our application as each letter included 2-5 examples of times we have seen these people in the 21 months since we got married.

Mike (Connecticut, USA) and Rosemary (Blue Mountains, Australia)

NATURALISATION UPDATE:

Nov 5 2008 - sent in N400 to CSC

Nov 13 2008 - check cashed

Nov 19 2008 - received NOA dated Nov 13, says application transferred to Nat'l Benefits Center

Dec 4 2008 - Biometrics done

Feb 9 2009 - Received letter saying interview on Mar 18 2009.

Mar 18 2009 - Interview - in and out in 8 minutes!

Mar 23 2009 - Received oath letter for ceremony April 10. Doh!! I'll be travelling. Sent letter requesting later ceremony date.

May 29 2009 - OATH CEREMONY, Reno. I am now a US citizen!

I-751 UPDATE:

May 2007 - Moved to Reno NV, and so we file at CSC instead of NSC - yay!!!

July 23, 2007 - I-751 mailed

July 25, 2007, 10.47am - envelope delivered to CSC

August 2, 2007 - Check cashed

August 6, 2007 - NOA 1 received

Sept 10, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Sept 21, 2007 - Received 10yGC approval letter dated 9/18 - wow, speedy, and no interview!

Sept 29, 2007 - 10yr GC arrives

OUR HISTORY:

Oct 1 2005 - AUSTRALIAN WEDDING!!

Oct 4 - DCF Sydney Interview, Visa in Hand!

Oct 18 - WE FLY BACK TO UTAH TOGETHER!!!!!! POE LAX

Nov 1 2005 - Received Green Card by Mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Did the same....I used my mother and a close mutual friend. they sent very nice truthful letters and I am hoping for the best. That's the key hope for for best.

:whistle::thumbs:

Yahshua provides!

Feb 11, 2005 130 NOA

K3 Been at this since March 11, 2005

June 15, 2005 - got info 129 F approved

June 23, 2005 - received NVC number

June 24, 200g - after 11pm received info the case would be going to Jamaica soon

June 27, 2005 Case left fot Jamaica

YAHSHUA DOES PROVIDE!!

SEPTEMBER 21, 2005 INTERVIEW OK WILL GET VISA

TOMORROW

Setember 22 Received Visa!!!

now count down to point of entry!!!

PEACE OUT EVERYONE

ok here we go!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I am including only one affidavit not notarized, which is from my wife’s employer, and three thank you notes from a neighbor, friend and a relative addressed to both of us. I feel I have enough evidence and I’m not relying on these but including them.

"Knowledge comes from reading the small print. Experience comes from not reading it."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Stop the insanity! There is no such thing as an "affidavit letter," and "an affidavit not notarized" is not an affidavit.

The instructions recommend not one, but two "sworn affidavits" -- not letters. Affidavits are notarized legal documents in which one has sworn that the contents are true -- and one commits perjury if what ones lies in such a document.

Obviously, none of what has been mentioned in this thread meets what USCIS has asked for in the instructions. I posted an example of an affidavit in the pinned thread. The other thing one needs with the affidavits, which I did not mention in the pinned thread or the example, is supporting documentation (see the last line in the instructions regarding affidavits).

Meh

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

we lacked much evidence of our lives together so we brought affidavits. three from friends, one of whom attended our civil ceremony, and one from my brother. our officer seemed to put more stress on the one from my brother. so based on my sole experience- i would include at least one from a family member. i think it is most important when you need help to prove a bona-fide marriage and are lacking on other evidence.

james- you are completely right. an affidavit IS notarized. has to be in order to be an affidavit. otherwise, it's just a letter. i don't not think a letter proving your employment has to be notarized, but i would definitely notarize ANY letter that is to stand as evidence of your marriage. it's a legal, binding way to say "i, the undersigned, am speaking the truth."

Filed: Timeline
Stop the insanity! There is no such thing as an "affidavit letter," and "an affidavit not notarized" is not an affidavit.

The instructions recommend not one, but two "sworn affidavits" -- not letters. Affidavits are notarized legal documents in which one has sworn that the contents are true -- and one commits perjury if what ones lies in such a document.

Obviously, none of what has been mentioned in this thread meets what USCIS has asked for in the instructions. I posted an example of an affidavit in the pinned thread. The other thing one needs with the affidavits, which I did not mention in the pinned thread or the example, is supporting documentation (see the last line in the instructions regarding affidavits).

James you are not required to send any sworn affidavits or letters, the list that in on the USCIS website are just examples of evidence that you could send.... and as far as USCIS is concerned they place no diffrence between a sworn affidavit and a notarized letter.... nether of them prove anything about your marriage.... If people wish to include a letter of support from family and friends then they can.... it they wish to do it in the form of an affidavit then they can, if the just have it notarized then thats ok too... so there is nothing insane about anything that has been discussed in this post or any other where people are asking about letters, affidavits or any other sort od evidence...

Kez

Filed: Timeline
we lacked much evidence of our lives together so we brought affidavits. three from friends, one of whom attended our civil ceremony, and one from my brother. our officer seemed to put more stress on the one from my brother. so based on my sole experience- i would include at least one from a family member. i think it is most important when you need help to prove a bona-fide marriage and are lacking on other evidence.

james- you are completely right. an affidavit IS notarized. has to be in order to be an affidavit. otherwise, it's just a letter. i don't not think a letter proving your employment has to be notarized, but i would definitely notarize ANY letter that is to stand as evidence of your marriage. it's a legal, binding way to say "i, the undersigned, am speaking the truth."

Notarizing a document is not saying anything about the content of the letter it only confirms that the Notary witnessed the persons signature.... nothing more.. the content of the document could be total rubbish... an affidavit is a statement that declares that to the best of your knowledge the content of the document is true...

Kez

Edited by Niagaenola

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

James you are not required to send any sworn affidavits or letters, the list that in on the USCIS website are just examples of evidence that you could send.... and as far as USCIS is concerned they place no diffrence between a sworn affidavit and a notarized letter.... nether of them prove anything about your marriage.... If people wish to include a letter of support from family and friends then they can.... it they wish to do it in the form of an affidavit then they can, if the just have it notarized then thats ok too... so there is nothing insane about anything that has been discussed in this post or any other where people are asking about letters, affidavits or any other sort od evidence...

Kez

I agree 100% very well said, Kez Thanks,

Well I'll correct myself, what I thought was an affidavit is really a letter from my wife's employer (boss) not verifying employment but as a personal friend. And who cares and why make a big deal about some affidavits or letters notarized or not they don't have that much weight on the bearings on the outcome from what most claim. The thank you notes just show that people took the time to acknowledge something they enjoy, being a good neighbor, or friend etc? This is not the evidence I what them to base their decision on, I have plenty of that but as I previous stated just something to include showing we have a life together.

Edited by Wild Wind

"Knowledge comes from reading the small print. Experience comes from not reading it."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.