apgk

DS156 - online form - some questions

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp

1. Item # 7 - First and Middle name as in passport

Fiancee has middle name written only in Russian letters on her passport. How should this middle name be filled up on this online DS156 form?

2. Item #26 - How long do you intend to stay in US?

How is this question answered?

3. Item #27 - What is the purpose of your trip?

We plan to write "Marriage to my fiance" - any other good suggestions?

4. item #28 - Who will pay for your trip?

we plan to write "Self, Fiance" - any other good suggestions here?

5. item #32 - Do you intend to work in the US?

We plan to write "No. There are no immediate plans for work but I wish to work sometime in future after I settle down and after getting proper authorization for work" - any other good suggestions here?

6. Do you intend to study in US?

We plan to write "No. There are no immediate plans for study but sometime in near future I wish to study english language further" - any other good suggestions here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most of your questions are answered HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-DS-156.pdf

1. Can you use first initial for middle name?

2. SEE Example.

3. SEE Example

4. SEE Example

5. SEE Example

6. SEE Example

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Fiancee has middle name written only in Russian letters on her passport. How should this middle name be filled up on this online DS156 form?

How is this question answered?

We plan to write "Marriage to my fiance" - any other good suggestions?

we plan to write "Self, Fiance" - any other good suggestions here?

We plan to write "No. There are no immediate plans for work but I wish to work sometime in future after I settle down and after getting proper authorization for work" - any other good suggestions here?

We plan to write "No. There are no immediate plans for study but sometime in near future I wish to study english language further" - any other good suggestions here?

1. I'm putting down the same we used on Fiance app. - defer to others though

2. Permanently after AOS (what a book suggest)

3. Get married, apply for adjustment of status (what a book suggest)

4. answering the same as you (Self & Fiance)

5. Yes - After receipt of work permit - no employer yet. (what a book suggest if you wish to work maybe in future)

6. Cant help with - My Fiance already has a degree.

Edited by Scott2007

K1 - Timeline

03-26-07 I-129F sent to Texas Service Center

03-27-07 NOA1 recieved date

04-04-07 notice date on NOA1 - (Case at California Service Center)

04-06-07 recieved hardcopy NOA1 in mail

04-06-07 Check cashed

04-09-07 touched

06-25-07 touched

06-26-07 NOA2 email approval at 12:30 AM

06-26-07 touched

06-27-07 touched

06-30-07 NOA2 rec'd hardcopy in mail

07-16-07 NVC rec'd case

07-18-07 NVC sent case to Moscow

07-26-07 Moscow sent out packet 3/4

10-01-07 Interview

waiting............

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

How is this question answered?I wrote i am going to have a family with alex and live in the USA

We plan to write "Marriage to my fiance" - any other good suggestions?I wrote i am going to marry alex and have family with him

we plan to write "Self, Fiance" - any other good suggestions here?I wrote my fiance,since otherwise needed to show your bank account or booked ticket i suppose,not sure though

I would write No,because some people use k visas instead of working ones,since working visas are hard to get.

We plan to write "No. There are no immediate plans for study but sometime in near future I wish to study english language further" - any other good suggestions here?I wrote no,but if your english is not so good its not such a bad idea

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Be sure it's not her patronymic, as this is not a middle name.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Timeline

Is there anything that prevents you from using one as a middle name?

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

It is her patronymic and it is written (in russian alphabets) on her passport under 'Middle Name'

For I-129F, I wrote this as her middle name on the application but in English alphabets.

The problem with DS156 is that is says write 'as in passport' - well the passport has it in russian alphabets

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

apqk,

Your solution to the middle name puzzle is the same one that we're trying.

If you want, you could email the embassy and ask them. They'll probably reply in a few days.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline

I question moving this discussion to the Foreign Embassy forum.

The key question apqk asks is how to deal with his fiance's Patronymic, which is written in Russian but not in English on her passport. I rather doubt that general readers will have any relevant insight into that question.

On the other hand, were it left in the Russia forum, where it belongs, one with experience is more likely to see it and respond. I request that Administrator move this post back to where it started, and where it belongs.

Edited by novotul

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

Timeline
I question moving this discussion to the Foreign Embassy forum.

The key question apqk asks is how to deal with his fiance's Patronymic, which is written in Russian but not in English on her passport. I rather doubt that general readers will have any relevant insight into that question.

On the other hand, were it left in the Russia forum, where it belongs, one with experience is more likely to see it and respond. I request that Administrator move this post back to where it started, and where it belongs.

I agree - I dont know how these posts are moved..is it automated or someone does it manually.

Its being done without much thought.

I propose a middle ground solution - instead of moving the post to another "seemingly appropirate forum as viewed

by the admin" just make a copy of the post and move that copy to another forum.

I am posting here to get specific insights from people who are applying to the same embassy where we intend

to apply - I get most relevent answers here.

Timeline

A moderated moved it. I went to the Site Related forum and asked what to do. Someone answers,

" ask another moderator to move the post back..

or wait.. I can move it too....

woops! forgot for a sec~!"

and -- viola -- this thread thread stays in the wrong place.

Now, back to our scheduled discussion: What should one write for a middle name in Q7 of DS-156? The Patronymic, transliterated into English script? Or leave it blank?

We transliterated. She respects her father. Why should my country take her father out of her name? But am I wrong?

Edited by novotul

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

I can't believe this is such a big deal.

Patronymic vs. Middle Name = DOES NOT MATTER!!!

The folks at the embassy can read both English and Russian and will have a copy of both her DS-156 and passport. They can plainly see her middle name is her patronymic and/or her patronymic is her middle name. It doesn't really matter if you list it as the middle name or leave it blank or whatever.

The main thing is that all your paperwork lines up. If you listed her middle name on the K-1 (I-129F) as her patronymic, do it on the DS-156 as well. Or, since this is "HER" form, let her fill it out how she wants. If she wishes to use it as her middle name, use it. If not, no biggy as she probably doesn't have a "true" middle name anyway.

For ease of the visa process..... list her patronymic (in English.... sound it out, Petrovna, Sergeyevna, etc. will do just fine) as her middle name. There's a big debate about the patronymic being a middle name for those from FSU/Eastern Bloc countries and also the maternal last name being added or dropped for those from Spanish-speaking/Latin American countries. Think about it from the American C/Os perspective. Everyone they know back home has a first, middle and last name. Now that they're in Krakozhia, they understand Krakozhians have a first name, a last name, and a name that comes from their father that's not really they're middle name but could be used as one. Make it simple for them, list it as her middle name.

As for the other questions.... let her fill them out the way she sees fit. She's going to be at the interview without you, and when they ask her aloud "Who will be paying for your trip to the U.S.?" instead of trying to remember what the two of you agreed on, she'll answer truthfully who's really paying for her trip to the U.S. and that will be exactly what she has written down on her form. You're saying "we're thinking about puting this down on our form" and things like that. The DS-156 is "her" form. Let her fill it out. WITHOUT YOU!!! (Help, but don't help to the point where it's you filling it out.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Nothing, except it sounds absurd and stupid.

There's no penalty for not having a middle name. I don't have one. I always leave the "middle name" section blank on all forms, and no one ever questioned it.

I respect my father too, but I would never agree to have something like "Andreevna" as my middle name. This just isn't a name, and it sounds utterly ridiculous. Sure, I can accept the fact that others may like the sound of it and prefer to keep it as their middle name.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
Nothing, except it sounds absurd and stupid.

There's no penalty for not having a middle name. I don't have one. I always leave the "middle name" section blank on all forms, and no one ever questioned it.

Well, this isn't unique to Russia. It is normal for Pakistani (and other Arabic) surnames to be a Father's first name. This tradition often disapears in the west, where the father's surname is taken by children (even though it isn't a surname in its traditional sense anymore).

As for it being "absurd and stupid," some cultures lack last names entirely. There is really no choice in this case, as a patrynomic will be your surname in the US. In Iceland, you are stuck with your patrynomic being your last name. I believe that declinable, Icelandic names are required by law there.

In the US - you are pretty much free to take whatever name you like.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.