CodeRed

My son is under R2.how can I show them the citizenship document

13 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

I have his ssn number.i was assuming they will send him a document for proof of citizenship after he get here in the u.s before 18 years old.hes been here for 7 months..but I don't get any form of document yet.do I have to file something? 

IR2 not R2.

Well you'd want to take active steps to 1. apply for his passport using your naturalization certificate and 2. apply for his N-600 certificate of citizenship. These things need your action as his parent through whom he obtained citizenship. 

Did you not figure out what steps to take after visa issuance for all this? 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

3 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Well you'd want to take active steps to 1. apply for his passport using your naturalization certificate and 2. apply for his N-600 certificate of citizenship. These things need your action as his parent through whom he obtained citizenship. 

Did you not figure out what steps to take after visa issuance for all this? 

After his visa insuance ,.theres no more step shown after i log in till now.thats why im confused.

Anyway

Where can I get the naturalization certificate..

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

After his visa insuance ,.theres no more step shown after i log in till now.thats why im confused.

Anyway

Where can I get the naturalization certificate..

To get passport - follow instructions on travel.state.gov to get the child's passport - you will need YOUR naturalization certificate AND child's passport with the immigrant visa that was issued to your child in addition to the documents for passport (birth certificate, passport photo, fees) - both parents have to attend with the child for passport appointment. 

To get certificate of citizenship: https://www.uscis.gov/n-600 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

4 minutes ago, milimelo said:

To get passport - follow instructions on travel.state.gov to get the child's passport - you will need YOUR naturalization certificate AND child's passport with the immigrant visa that was issued to your child in addition to the documents for passport (birth certificate, passport photo, fees) - both parents have to attend with the child for passport appointment. 

To get certificate of citizenship: https://www.uscis.gov/n-600 

Ok.ty soo much ...God bless u.

4 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CodeRed said:

I have his ssn number.i was assuming they will send him a document for proof of citizenship after he get here in the u.s before 18 years old.hes been here for 7 months..but I don't get any form of document yet.do I have to file something? 

So few questions:

How did you become a US Citizen?

Is he a biological son, adopted son, or a stepson?

Is he residing in your legal and physical custody?

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Posted (edited)

@CodeRed If I were you, I would apply for the citizenship certificate for the child first before applying for a passport. You need to file form N-600 for his certificate. I’ve seen instances where kids who got the passport without the certificate were denied certain privileges or even couldn’t renew their passports because they couldn’t show proof of citizenship after they became adults.

Edited by Moda25

15 hours ago, Demise said:

So few questions:

How did you become a US Citizen?

Is he a biological son, adopted son, or a stepson?

Is he residing in your legal and physical custody?

1.through naturalization 

2.biological son

3.hes living with me.

14 hours ago, Moda25 said:

@CodeRed If I were you, I would apply for the citizenship certificate for the child first before applying for a passport. You need to file form N-600 for his certificate. I’ve seen instances where kids who got the passport without the certificate were denied certain privileges or even couldn’t renew their passports because they couldn’t show proof of citizenship after they became adults.

Ty soo much for this information,.I will do that instead.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

1.through naturalization 

2.biological son

3.hes living with me.

Then just file N-600 for him. Passport is another option with the caveats Moda25 pointed out.

You will need the following:

Your naturalization certificate (showing naturalization date when he was under 18)

Your son's green card (showing that we was an LPR while under 18)

Your son's birth certificate (with translation if not in English) listing you as a parent

Then you will need stuff to establish custody, stuff like medical records, school records, if you're divorced and court gave you primary custody then that order also works (w/ translation if that's not in English).

With N-600 with USCIS you send copies, with the passport with Dept of State you send in originals, which will be returned to you sometime after the passport.

If son is over 16 he will need to attend an interview where he'll be sworn in as a citizen.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.