K1 Petitioner

Prior SSN and applying for green card

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

It's for confirming identity and not confirming eligibility to drive?

Nope, they know who i am. Just a check list item. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Never heard of that.

Yes, we weren't expecting it either! He was able to open the bank account using his SSN, and they asked that he bring in a copy of a physical card at a later date. 🤷‍♀️

It seems like he can apply for a replacement card only once he has a work permit. Or, the Social Security website seems like they can only issue a replacement card without a work permit if a "federal law requires for a particular benefit or service." 

Timeline
Posted (edited)

Are you sure it was not the GC?

I recently opened an account nothing was asked

I also have had 2 visits to the SS Office and they did not ask.

From memory it is just a piece of brown card no security features

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Nope, they know who i am. Just a check list item. 

SSN number needed for drivers license or walkers ID in accordance with real ID requirements, now only 1 year away from becoming the law of the land 

Timeline

Well I renewed my DL earlier this year, not required.

Concealed Carry Permit not required.

Now the card not the number. The number or the last 4 digits I get asked for.

I know SSN is used as a defacto national ID but the card itself could easily be forged.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well I renewed my DL earlier this year, not required.

Concealed Carry Permit not required.

Now the card not the number. The number or the last 4 digits I get asked for.

I know SSN is used as a defacto national ID but the card itself could easily be forged.

That's why you can't laminate the card. All states need your social security number as proof of identity. A new immigrant definitely needs it 

Timeline
1 minute ago, wildbug100420 said:

That's why you can't laminate the card. All states need your social security number as proof of identity. A new immigrant definitely needs it 

As I have said as an immigrant I have never shown it to anyone, I think I filed it when I got it so maybe able to find it.

I do remember being unimpressed, a small brown card that I could have easily duplicated. Certainly not ID, I would have more success with my Costco card.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

As I have said as an immigrant I have never shown it to anyone, I think I filed it when I got it so maybe able to find it.

I do remember being unimpressed, a small brown card that I could have easily duplicated. Certainly not ID, I would have more success with my Costco card.

It's definitely changed since you have entered the US. Not sure how long you have been here. The present day cards are blue and white with security features paper 

Timeline
3 hours ago, K1 Petitioner said:

Hi! My fiancé (beneficiary) has just arrived in the U.S. with his K1 visa, and we are starting to prepare the paperwork for our green card application as we are getting married next week.

My fiancé previously worked in the U.S. through a J-1 visa, and therefore already received a SSN. While he no longer has the physical card, he still remembers his SSN which is what we have entered on our paperwork throughout the K1 process.

When filling out the i-485, it seems like a new SSN card can be mailed to my fiancé. Would there be any benefit of my fiancé going to the Social Security Office to apply for a new SSN card before submitting the i-485, instead?

Just go to the office and apply for a replacement. Do not laminate the card once received. 

Timeline

The card on which an SSN is issued is still not suitable for primary identification as it has no photograph, no physical description, and no birth date. All it does is confirm that a particular number has been issued to a particular name. Instead, a driver's license or state ID card is used as an identification for adults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number

Thinking about it I am not going to swear to the colour, could be blue, OK I need to try and find it.

0*JEsQTo0KQrcw6F8k.jpg

I am a few editions back but I think this is more like it, wonder what was brown.

I assume my Employer uses E Verify, now I did not when I was doing I9s.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

u have to go to SS office to apply for a replacement

u do not do this thru USCIS/they process request for new #'s only

your SS # from previous US stay is a "forever" #

I have always had to show employer SS card as this is # they use to pay into SS benefits from your witholdings on pay stubs

I believe new versions of the I-485 can issue a new (replacement) SSN card even with an existing card. I did no when I did my AOS, but later realized that saying yes and providing SSN is good since SSA will potentially send a card without any annotations. This can save a trip to the SSA office. Otherwise, requesting a replacement card after getting the green card would be best since it won't count against the lifetime replacement limit? 

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Some banks / employers insist on seeing the physical card.

You may be OK with long credit history, but bank policies could have changed for worse in the last few decades.

Many banks will want to see the card, particularly in scenarios where credit/banking history is limited, information not matching the database, and cases requiring additional vetting. 

Local banks will have the stricter requirements, but some national banks may be more lenient as they are already international-friendly. 

Timeline

There are only a handful of national banks left that have physicial presence/branches, out of those Chase is horrible with their ID verification  for new migrants, but the country cowboy themed one from West Coast is pretty good, and does accept SSN as one form of ID, they require two total. 

Chiming in to underscore wildbug100420's observation about Real ID. A state that has implemented the Real ID will require the physical SSN card (not a copy, has to be the card itself) for issuing a driver's license. (If your state has not implemented Real ID, it may differ.)

The requirement for the SSN card does not change whether you are a U.S. "natural born" citizen or an immigrant.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.