GuyHangingAround

Work visa and relocating to the US?

8 posts in this topic

Hi. Im new to the forums, and have some questions as a complete beginner.

I have an associate's degree in programming. But my resume is not that full and inviting. So I can do anything.

How can I find a job that gives a sponsorship for me? I mean, Im looking for any entry level job, if not in tech field. What are my options to find work that gives me the opportunity to relocate?

17 minutes ago, GuyHangingAround said:

I have an associate's degree in programming. But my resume is not that full and inviting. So I can do anything.

How can I find a job that gives a sponsorship for me? I mean, Im looking for any entry level job, if not in tech field. What are my options to find work that gives me the opportunity to relocate?

Honestly, pretty much no chance from what you’ve said. I can’t see an employer being prepared to spend thousands of dollars, wait months and go through all the hassle to sponsor your visa when they could probably hire an American instead. 

But all you can do is try. Apply for jobs, and make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date and set to open to work in the US. 99% if the headhunters that contacted me about jobs in the US came via LinkedIn. 

And if you don’t have any success, look at it as a long term plan and work towards it. Get more experience, work your way up (ideally in a multi-national company - a transfer is more likely) and maybe look at increasing your education. I don’t know about the tech field but certainly in mine you’d need a masters really to be considered. 

Good luck. 

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey,

Three years ago, I decided to relocate from my country and chose IT as my career path.

Firstly, I found an entry-level IT job in my city and began gaining experience. I discovered a specialization that interested me and started learning the required technologies. Later, I secured an internship at a major IT company, and after six months, I received my first offer from an international IT company. Subsequently, I requested a transfer to one of the European countries, then to Jamaica, and as a result, the company decided to relocate me to the US as an intra-company transferee.

That's my story. Everything is possible you just need to set the goal, keep working and dreaming.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:10 PM, GuyHangingAround said:

You will need a bachelor's degree.

You can also look into internship programmes (there's very few), which often mean coming on temporary J-1. If you do well, employer can sponsor you for H-1B. 

Another option is to get bachelors degree at a US university, work on OPT and see if an employer is willing to sponsor you then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Posted (edited)

From my experience, join a company in your home country that has a branch in the US. Work in your home country for that company for at least a couple of years and then see about an intra-office transfer. It will be much easier than finding a US employer willing to then sponsor you. I have people working for me that do not have a bachelor’s degree but are here on a L1 based on length of service for the sponsoring company prior to coming here and their experience gained. 

good luck. I remember 30 years ago writing to companies all over the world looking to relocate before joining a UK based company and being transferred to many countries before coming here 

Edited by PVR Bound

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.