1,203 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Sandra G. said:

They will not answer if they updated your change of address.

They do when you file AR-11 online, you get instant confirmation that can be saved / printed for future proof.

This is why I don't trust updating address over the phone, and you just confirmed you don't get any proof.

I would strongly discourage using this method. At least you can show confirmation for AR-11 filed online if USCIS claims you never did it...

Edited by OldUser

6 hours ago, Sandra G. said:

There is the 5 year rule about getting remarried as a green card holder. I had one client that he dated someone 4 years .He got an RFE to explain why he got married "so soon", yes they asked about this.I was able to explain and his wife got the GC.

The law says the visa petition may not be approved if the marriage occurred within 5 years that you became a green card holder.

A visa petition filed on behalf of an alien by a lawful permanent resident spouse may not be approved if the marriage occurred within five years of the petitioner being accorded the status of lawful permanent resident based upon a prior marriage to a United States citizen or alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, unless:

(1) The petitioner establishes by clear and convincing evidence that the marriage through which the petitioner gained permanent residence was not entered into for the purposes of evading the immigration laws; or

(2) The marriage through which the petitioner obtained permanent residence was terminated through death.”

Thank you @Sandra G. Now, what if I get my citizenship first? I am already eligible, as i obtained my GC in January 2021 through vawa. Will that make a difference? 

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, Sandra G. said:

You can ask to expedite I-765 and  I-131,but you need to submit some documents listed below.They don't expedite I360/I485.

• Severe financial loss to a company or person, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure to timely file the benefit request or to timely respond to any requests for evidence;
  • Emergencies or urgent humanitarian situations;
  • Nonprofit organization (as designated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)) whose request is in furtherance of the cultural or social interests of the United States;
  • Government interests, including cases identified by the government as urgent because they involve the public interest, public safety, national interest, or national security interests; and
  • Clear USCIS error.

You can ask to expedite I-765 and  I-131,but you need to submit some documents listed below.They don't expedite I360/I485.

• Severe financial loss to a company or person, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner’s or applicant’s failure to timely file the benefit request or to timely respond to any requests for evidence;
  • Nonprofit organization (as designated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)) whose request is in furtherance of the cultural or social interests of the United States;
  • Government interests, including cases identified by the government as urgent because they involve the public interest, public safety, national interest, or national security interests; and
  • Clear USCIS error.

• Clear USCIS error.

Thanks Sandra, I think number 2 ( Emergencies) is my point because It's Emergency for me to attend the funereal of my father who died on March 22, 2024.   

What I have now as supporting documents is Burial arrangement flyer.   What else do I need to add to the application to expedite the process ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

To relieve some stress, here now is our Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke (actually, a collection):

=============================================================
DUMB JOKES

What did the pirate say on his 80th birthday?

"Aye, Matey."

A vulture boarded a plane carrying two dead raccoons.

The stewardess said, "I'm sorry, but we allow each passenger only one carrion."

My grandfather had the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the New York City zoo.

What was a more important invention than the first telephone?

The second one.

Why can't dinosaurs applaud?

Because they're dead.

Did you hear about the thief who stole a calendar?

He got 12 months.

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

A carrot.

Have you heard the rumor going around about butter?

Never mind... I shouldn't be spreading it.

What did the janitor say when he jumped out of the closet?

"Supplies!"

My friend recently got crushed by a pile of books.

He's only got his shelf to blame.

What did one plate say to the other?

"Dinner's on me!"

How does NASA organize a party?

They planet.

I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

What did one elevator say to the other elevator?

"I think I'm coming down with something."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

15 hours ago, Kely said:

Thank you @Sandra G. Now, what if I get my citizenship first? I am already eligible, as i obtained my GC in January 2021 through vawa. Will that make a difference? 

The 5 year rule for sponsoring a spouse after you got your green card via marriage is only applicable to permanent residents. If you naturalize then it's no longer applicable and you would be able to sponsor your new spouse without any additional requirements.

Moreover the act of naturalization would move the spouse from F2A to IR. F2A is currently backlogged, IR has no numerical limitations. Be mindful of any stepchildren, any unmarried under 21 would get to tag along on their parent's F2A petition, after naturalization any that were under 18 when you married would need their own I-130, if there's any that were over 18 when you married but are still under 21 then K-1 visa would be a better option to let them tag along.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

13 hours ago, ogbeni sifu said:

Vawa got approved online, received a prima facie instead of approval notice. It's been 3 months now, still not approval notice, and no C31 EAD. What are my options? is this normal? I-360 filed in 2021. 

Can you contact your Congress person maybe they can make enquiries about the issue. Those officers are prone to error. I disnt recieve any interview letter in my name but 3 letters were address to my minor child with misspelled name. 

Hi friends,

Need some urgent advice on AOS Interview.

Thank you so much for your advice last time. USCIS has scheduled my AOS interview for May 2024 in the previous city that I lived in. I have moved to a new State a few months ago and I have filed the AR11 right after the move to update the new address in the USCIS system.
Can you please advise me what should I do at this point? Should I still go to the AOS interview in the previous state I lived in or should I get the interview rescheduled?
Will getting the interview rescheduled further delay my case?

Thanks for all the advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, Risen said:

Today is my birthday and I went for an interview I got approved immediately, before I got home a new card is been produce.

Yee-HAAAAA!  :dance: 

[Note to T-B.'s self:  Jokes worked again... jokes worked again... :P ]

And happy birthday!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 4/17/2024 at 4:21 PM, Kely said:

Yes it will make a difference if you sponsor him when you become a U.S Citizen.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dreamer7 said:

Vawa got approved feb 2024, there is no info if they have transferred my case to local field, my lawyer asked officer to hold my i485 3.5 years ago. Should I try to reach them and get info about my previous i485 or just wait without doing anything. Please help! Thank you

If your attorney never received a denial letter regarding your l485 then it means your l485 can still be used to adjust status,  and you don’t have to contact them to inquire about this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.