Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,238 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Undefinedornull said:

If the consulate requests the passport, does this mean that administrative processing has been completed? My friend sent their passport back a month ago, and since then, there has been no change—still the same refused status. Medical exams are about to expire soon, causing a bit of anxiety. The main applicant has already received the passport back with the visa and an issued status, but the other one is still waiting. If consulate requested their passports on the same day, it's odd that only one was processed. Anyone experienced something like that? EB-x

How long was your friend in AP? Were they asked for a DS5535? 

Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has requested their passport back from the consulate while they were under AP.

The embassy has held onto my passport since Jan,22 and I can't imagine myself being away from my husband any longer, especially if it may take months before my visa is issued. 😢😔

Is it possible to request the return of my passport during AP? Would this impact the overall process and potentially extend the waiting time?

Also, does anyone have the link to the Fox News video someone shared regarding AP? It seems to be private or blocked in Canada... ;-/

thanks

2 hours ago, TeamSariff said:

Also, does anyone have the link to the Fox News video someone shared regarding AP? It seems to be private or blocked in Canada... ;-/

thanks

Search “Cutting the line us immigration” on YouTube for Fox News Video

Edited by Leo The Great

Timeline
3 hours ago, TeamSariff said:

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has requested their passport back from the consulate while they were under AP.

The embassy has held onto my passport since Jan,22 and I can't imagine myself being away from my husband any longer, especially if it may take months before my visa is issued. 😢😔

Is it possible to request the return of my passport during AP? Would this impact the overall process and potentially extend the waiting time?

thanks

I requested my passport back after waiting 4 months with no change in my status..Unfortunately i do need my passport for work. No issues travelling(via Road and Flight) to USA and back with Nexus only.  

Hoping to see any updates to re-send my passport again, but not holding my breath for it.

15 hours ago, Undefinedornull said:

If the consulate requests the passport, does this mean that administrative processing has been completed? My friend sent their passport back a month ago, and since then, there has been no change—still the same refused status. Medical exams are about to expire soon, causing a bit of anxiety. The main applicant has already received the passport back with the visa and an issued status, but the other one is still waiting. If consulate requested their passports on the same day, it's odd that only one was processed. Anyone experienced something like that? EB-x

my husbands took 5 weeks to be issued. 

So what happens if you are in AP and asked to fill out a DS5355 and you traveled to a couple of more countries while in AP for over a year? Do you have to resubmit or update the countries that you've traveled to again? Since the DS5355  essentially asks you for the countries you've visited in the last 15 years. Should someone just stay put for over a year and not travel while in AP to avoid any more delays?

19 minutes ago, dj222 said:

So what happens if you are in AP and asked to fill out a DS5355 and you traveled to a couple of more countries while in AP for over a year? Do you have to resubmit or update the countries that you've traveled to again? Since the DS5355  essentially asks you for the countries you've visited in the last 15 years. Should someone just stay put for over a year and not travel while in AP to avoid any more delays?

You need to submit DS-5535 once unless it is lost by consulate.  You do not need to update post DS-5535 travel history unless consulate ask you for new DS-5535 form and that is very unlikely.

Edited by Leo The Great

On 3/11/2024 at 7:43 AM, Superluminal said:

Did they contact you at some point recently to send your 2nd medical and passport back to them?

No news at all. They updated my case on the CEAC website after I send an email asking for an update. Just curious about the timeframe for sending passport and medicals back.

Not Montreal, but applied for a L1 visa from within Canada. Was approved on on the spot but then was given a DS5535 a few days later. Waiting since September 2023. I've written a few times to the Consulate to confirm if they need anything additional from me but they have always replied with the response that the application is under admin processing and they do not need anything additional from me. Meanwhile there has not a single date change update on CAEC, not even when the consulate has replied to my email. Is this normal to not get any change on the last updated date? Thank you. 

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten any success with asking their passport back?

I was told to email canada.visas@gdit.css (or some email like so, can't remember off the top of my head) and all they sent me as a response were my pickup location before the interview happened and instructions on how to change that to get it mailed to my address. I don't actually know if this means I'll get it back. Anyone have success with this or know what I should do instead?

Sharing my details in case anyone's in a similar boat:

F31 class visa (Married son or daughter of U.S. citizen). My grandparent sponsored my parent sometime between 2006-2010. I'm the only derivative applicant on the case. I'm nearing 30 years old now. Parent and I are Canadian citizens. 

Lots happened between then and now; our case creation date is July 2021. We got DQ'd in Aug 2023 and had our interview in Nov 20 2023. At the end of the interview, we were given back our passports along with the DS-5535. Just needed to complete the form asking for 15 years of travel history, etc, which we submitted 2 days later. 

Our case has been updated once since then about 40 days ago and otherwise haven't heard anything else back since. Still showing refused. From seeing estimates here and the examples on the spreadsheet, I'm not expecting anything remotely positive or quick. I know I've seen those from May 2023 interviews still waiting to hear back. Just curious if anyone has any guesses what the impact of our visa class will be on this if anything? I'd imagine being such a low priority class doesn't help, but curious if anyone has any anecdotal experience with this class. 

Edited by f31fromhell

51 minutes ago, f31fromhell said:

Sharing my details in case anyone's in a similar boat:

F31 class visa (Married son or daughter of U.S. citizen). My grandparent sponsored my parent sometime between 2006-2010. I'm the only derivative applicant on the case. I'm nearing 30 years old now. Parent and I are Canadian citizens. 

Lots happened between then and now; our case creation date is July 2021. We got DQ'd in Aug 2023 and had our interview in Nov 20 2023. At the end of the interview, we were given back our passports along with the DS-5535. Just needed to complete the form asking for 15 years of travel history, etc, which we submitted 2 days later. 

Our case has been updated once since then about 40 days ago and otherwise haven't heard anything else back since. Still showing refused. From seeing estimates here and the examples on the spreadsheet, I'm not expecting anything remotely positive or quick. I know I've seen those from May 2023 interviews still waiting to hear back. Just curious if anyone has any guesses what the impact of our visa class will be on this if anything? I'd imagine being such a low priority class doesn't help, but curious if anyone has any anecdotal experience with this class. 

What is your consulate?  Once you had an interview and severed with DS-5535, priority of your case does not matter. Your DS-5535 will resolved just like any other cases (CR1/IR1 etc.) by DC office. 

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

What is your consulate?  Once you had an interview and severed with DS-5535, priority of your case does not matter. Your DS-5535 will resolved just like any other cases (CR1/IR1 etc.) by DC office. 

I thought for some other cases they were solved at a faster pace like F1/J1 vs K1/CR-1.

38 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

I also heard it was nationality dependent for the quickness of completion

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.