Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,216 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Maussanais said:

After my interview, I followed the officer's instructions and sent my Canadian passport to the consulate. And after exchanging several emails, the consulate confirmed receipt of my passport by email. It has now been 4 months since the interview, and I need to travel for work and have an upcoming vacation.

I'm worried that requesting my passport might further delay the process.

Do you think I should apply for a temporary Canadian passport?

What are your thoughts?

sorry to say this but I think you may be part of this club. I wouldn’t try to apply for a new temporary passport as this might further delay the security clearance. 

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

11 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

Yep - had my interview in Feb 2023. To make matters even worse, I have not even had a case update since November 2023 (almost 4 months ago).

I sent another email today (my previous 3 received zero response), so I'm not expecting a response, but all I can do is hope at least one decent person looks at it and is kind enough to look into my file.

Honestly I've never felt so hopeless this entire process. From everything we've seen on here it seems like processing times are getting slower and nothing I have seen or read gives me any hope this process will speed up any time soon.

Man, I can't imagine how you and other folks who've been waiting since Feb/March 2023 are feeling. My fiancé and I have been waiting since May 2023, and it's been rough. Luckily he works remotely so he gets to visit me here in the U.S. often. Really hoping people like you and @Daft_Cat hear something soon. Hang in there. We are all pulling for you. 

12 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

Yep - had my interview in Feb 2023. To make matters even worse, I have not even had a case update since November 2023 (almost 4 months ago).

I sent another email today (my previous 3 received zero response), so I'm not expecting a response, but all I can do is hope at least one decent person looks at it and is kind enough to look into my file.

Honestly I've never felt so hopeless this entire process. From everything we've seen on here it seems like processing times are getting slower and nothing I have seen or read gives me any hope this process will speed up any time soon.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you hear good news soon. Do you know why you were put under AP?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sisa24 said:

Sorry to hear that. I hope you hear good news soon. Do you know why you were put under AP?

Our only thoughts are it could be my travel history (I've lived in a few different countries besides Canada and traveled to quite a few more) or the fact I hold dual citizenship (Canadian born and raised but also have British through my Dad).

Seems a lot of people who get placed into this holding pattern have one of those (or both) as well, but I was never explicitly told why.

Edit: I also don't think it's always the CO's call...many people on here think the system generates it based on some level of variables/chance.

Edited by Canucklehead

Timeline
12 hours ago, AP_since_May2023 said:

After my interview, I followed the officer's instructions and sent my Canadian passport to the consulate. And after exchanging several emails, the consulate

Q: Did you not take your Canadian passport with you to the interview?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Canucklehead said:

Edit: I also don't think it's always the CO's call...many people on here think the system generates it based on some level of variables/chance.

image.thumb.jpeg.cd2d5b081d0c1d651fa94b97b1cb1e44.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***A few off-topic comments removed***

-VJ Moderation

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

11 hours ago, cpricerun said:

Man, I can't imagine how you and other folks who've been waiting since Feb/March 2023 are feeling. My fiancé and I have been waiting since May 2023, and it's been rough. Luckily he works remotely so he gets to visit me here in the U.S. often. Really hoping people like you and @Daft_Cat hear something soon. Hang in there. We are all pulling for you. 

Kepe me posted if you hear anything. I am also May 2023.

9 hours ago, CarmenD said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cd2d5b081d0c1d651fa94b97b1cb1e44.jpeg

May I know where is this from? When I spoke to the CO, it is my impression that her hands are tied, and it was outside of her decision to put our case in AP. She even gave us verbal approval, and collected passport after the interview.

37 minutes ago, AP_since_May2023 said:

May I know where is this from? When I spoke to the CO, it is my impression that her hands are tied, and it was outside of her decision to put our case in AP. She even gave us verbal approval, and collected passport after the interview.

Security Advisory Opinion - Wikipedia

You can also read original declaration of Carson Wu from redeaglelaw.com blog

18. Consular officers are also required to request SAOs for reasons other than a systems
lookout. During the interview, consular officers also pursue case-relevant inquiries pertaining to
the applicant’s identity, qualifications for the particular visa category in question, prior visa
applications or travel to the United States, and any information pertaining to possible grounds of
visa ineligibilities, including security-related grounds of ineligibility under INA section 212(a)(3).

Edited by Leo The Great

On 3/5/2024 at 1:27 PM, Maussanais said:

After my interview, I followed the officer's instructions and sent my Canadian passport to the consulate. And after exchanging several emails, the consulate confirmed receipt of my passport by email. It has now been 4 months since the interview, and I need to travel for work and have an upcoming vacation.

I'm worried that requesting my passport might further delay the process.

Do you think I should apply for a temporary Canadian passport?

What are your thoughts?

If you sent to Montreal can you please tell me how you sent it regular canada post or courier or something nd did you put any case number or any other info along with passport 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Bhandal said:

If you sent to Montreal can you please tell me how you sent it regular canada post or courier or something nd did you put any case number or any other info along with passport 

I followed the instructions the officer gave via Canada Post.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

****Unrelated comment removed.  Please post political comments and topics in the CEHST forum area***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Posted (edited)

~~Posts related to the DS5535 for another Consulate/Embassy/Country has been removed. This thread is for Montreal only. Members here cannot give any advice on how things would work anywhere other than Montreal.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.