Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,220 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Pending DS5535 said:

Our last 2 date updates were on Feb 02, and Feb 05, like your case date updates and we have not sent any email so I do not think that the concept of getting dates updates is due to emails is true. 

Well it is true that when they reply to your email the date updates (presumably because they "open" your file to see). 

Ugh.

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Visa category seems to have an impact on timeline for DS-5535 processing. Some EB visas seem to process faster, I suspect because of economic interests. This doesn't apply to everyone with an EB application though.

Yes I am EB and am at 8 months waiting.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Pending DS5535 said:

We also had our interview on Jan 24 in Montreal and were handed over this form DS-5535 and resume and research publication docs as well, Visa Category IR5, and we submitted everything on Jan 25. I hardly see any IR5 in the Excel sheet of ds-5535. But there was a lady ahead of us, she also got this form, and she told us outside the embassy that her daughter and son both also got this form, but they got their visa in 58 days. Hard to believe. 

So far, we got 3 date updates on ceac website.

Their ds5535 got cleared in 58 days??

44 minutes ago, AP_since_May2023 said:

Can you share the name of the FB group? Don't post link as that is against the rules of this forum.

I was asked for my CV only (without DS-5535) and I've been waiting for 9 months now. 

It’s called 
“US Embassy Administrative Processing and Form DS-5535” Has 1.4K followers

17 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Well it is true that when they reply to your email the date updates (presumably because they "open" your file to see). 

Ugh.

Just as another data point: they didn't update mine, and responded with an even more generic text than many responses quoted here. Often a response confirms "The case is currently pending a review by a consular officer", or "Your case is currently under administrative processing" (which seem to be two very different states of AP, the first one can expect an update much faster). The response they gave me didn't even clearly mention that. I suspect they responded without checking my case.

11 minutes ago, dmitrych said:

Just as another data point: they didn't update mine, and responded with an even more generic text than many responses quoted here. Often a response confirms "The case is currently pending a review by a consular officer", or "Your case is currently under administrative processing" (which seem to be two very different states of AP, the first one can expect an update much faster). The response they gave me didn't even clearly mention that. I suspect they responded without checking my case.

It's interesting because we used to get the second update where it's just under AP, but recently (as of Jan) had them say pending review (or in the queue basically). 

I wonder if the wording really does mean anything. Those stuck for many many months, do they ever get an email saying pending review or is it always generic? 

Curious if we can extrapolate a rough timeline from when a reply says pending review to approval. 

1 hour ago, Pending DS5535 said:

We also had our interview on Jan 24 in Montreal and were handed over this form DS-5535 and resume and research publication docs as well, Visa Category IR5, and we submitted everything on Jan 25. I hardly see any IR5 in the Excel sheet of ds-5535. But there was a lady ahead of us, she also got this form, and she told us outside the embassy that her daughter and son both also got this form, but they got their visa in 58 days. Hard to believe. 

So far, we got 3 date updates on ceac website.

We also got DS-5535 and Resume request for IR5 category(Oct 2023). Consulate issued a visa to mom but served 221g to dad. Hoping other visa will be issued by end of this year.

4 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

It's interesting because we used to get the second update where it's just under AP, but recently (as of Jan) had them say pending review (or in the queue basically). 

I wonder if the wording really does mean anything. Those stuck for many many months, do they ever get an email saying pending review or is it always generic? 

Curious if we can extrapolate a rough timeline from when a reply says pending review to approval. 

I read the whole 3 parts of this thread (more than 400 pages), and from what I've seen, my theory is that "pending a review by a consular officer" means the next action has to be done by the officer *in* the consulate, rather than the consulate waiting for a response from other agencies. It might not mean the case is definitely going to get approved soon (in 1-2 months maybe), but the likelihood is higher.

3 minutes ago, dmitrych said:

I read the whole 3 parts of this thread (more than 400 pages), and from what I've seen, my theory is that "pending a review by a consular officer" means the next action has to be done by the officer *in* the consulate, rather than the consulate waiting for a response from other agencies. It might not mean the case is definitely going to get approved soon (in 1-2 months maybe), but the likelihood is higher.

That actually makes sense....

It would track since they're saying it just needs like a "sign off" from the officer.

What's strange though is they've told us that on Jan 23 (and case updated that day), and since there's been a couple unsolicited updates, but no email. 

You would think when they review it, they'd do it all in one shot, to just finish it. I guess not.

This whole process is beyond illogical. No order, no reasoning, no transparency.  

1 hour ago, Pending DS5535 said:

Our last 2 date updates were on Feb 02, and Feb 05, like your case date updates and we have not sent any email so I do not think that the concept of getting dates updates is due to emails is true. 

We got 6 updates in 14 days after we submitted DS-5535 and resume (No emails from our end). After that radio silent and we got one update this month same day when consulate replied our email.

Edited by Leo The Great

8 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

That actually makes sense....

It would track since they're saying it just needs like a "sign off" from the officer.

What's strange though is they've told us that on Jan 23 (and case updated that day), and since there's been a couple unsolicited updates, but no email. 

You would think when they review it, they'd do it all in one shot, to just finish it. I guess not.

This whole process is beyond illogical. No order, no reasoning, no transparency.  

I think your case is a bit unusual because they only requested the resume without the DS-5535 form. I can't tell if they're going to decide that a closer more thorough look is needed by another agency, or if they will approve it as is. Both of these outcomes were seen in the past.

3 minutes ago, dmitrych said:

I think your case is a bit unusual because they only requested the resume without the DS-5535 form. I can't tell if they're going to decide that a closer more thorough look is needed by another agency, or if they will approve it as is. Both of these outcomes were seen in the past.

I think @tas005 has a similar situation to us, so it's not totally unusual.

I think in our cases it's a TAL hit and they need SAO (Mantis Visa) clearance, or that's my best guess.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/6/2024 at 3:10 PM, MRJ9987 said:

Has anyone tried doing FOIA?  Who would I send it to?  I was suggested to query USCIS with FOIA but my understanding is that it wouldn't be them (USCIS already approved me)?

the IV cases stuck in Consulate (include MTL) cannot been released until closed. Usually if got visa issued, few people request FOIA to see why the VO rejected to issue visa in interview day and following process. 

for IV FOIA ,send to DOS. Not USCIS.

3 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

Interviewed Feb 1, 2023. My last update remains November 13, 2023 and I am pretty sure that's just because they gave me a canned response that day replying to an email I'd sent asking for an update.

For all those who recently got put into same process, my suggestions are:

Don't plan on getting your green card any time in the next year at the very least (not being harsh, just being realistic).

You can still visit your spouse so long as your true intention is solely to visit and you do not overstay. I.e. Have a return flight booked, don't fly with 3 cases of luggage for a 2 week trip.

Writing to politicians accomplishes nothing

Filing a WOM does nothing (save your money and use it for trips instead)

Don't be afraid to talk to friends and family about your situation. I was ashamed for a while to talk about it, but really this has nothing to do with you messing up and everything to do with bureaucratic processes. Their support and empathy can help.

Do try to make trips to visit each other if possible. I realize this can be hard as many people have jobs/children. However having a trip to look forward to so that you can see your loved ones can really help mental health.

Work on yourself in the meantime. Eat healthier, workout, learn a new skill. Don't let yourself become stagnant just because your application becomes stagnant.

Hope this helps!

This is a great post.

Also, as it so happens, we interviewed within a couple days of each other. I had also been experiencing radio silence until a few weeks back when I sent my first “friendly reminder” email since last summer. While I received no response, I did get a case update on Jan 31st (which wasn’t necessarily surprising) and then got another unsolicited update on Feb 5th.

Could be something, could be nothing… but I did stress in my email that I’ve now been waiting a year. Part of me wonders if the officer reviewing my email put it in a priority pile based on the amount of time I’ve been waiting.

I know it’s usually a fools errand, but might be worth reaching out to them again if my experience is at all indicative.

Edited by Daft_Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.