4 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I just filled out Form I-134 for my fiancée and wanted to make sure I got some things right:

• I'm supporting both my fiancée and her minor daughter. When reading the instructions at first it sounded like I need to fill out 2 forms, one for each of them, but then I realized her daughter was listed in the Part 2 #13 as a dependent, so it seems like just 1 form is necessary for my fiancée as the main beneficiary. Anybody know if this is correct, or do I need to fill out another one for my future step daughter as well?
  • In Part 2 #13 I listed both my fiancée and her daughter. Under Total Number of Dependents I put 1 - i.e. my fiancée has 1 dependent. Correct? Or should it be 2, because there are two names on the form?
  • In Part 3 #14 I put that I have 0 dependents, as I currently don't have any dependents living with me in the United States (i.e. my fiancée and her daughter are not my dependents yet). Plus, it says don't include individuals named in part 2. Is this correct?
  • In Part 3 #21 where it asks to explain the contributions you will make to the beneficiary, I just wrote "All expenses for (fiancée's name) and (step daughter's name)." Is this sufficient?
  • Attached to the form, I'll give my fiancée a copy of my US passport, letter from my employer stating my income, and my 2023 tax transcripts

Just as extra backup in case anything comes up, I also plan top bring all of my tax transcripts, W2s and 1040s going back 3 years, and all of my paystubs for this year. I know that may be a little hardcore, but I would feel better being over prepared.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 3/17/2024 at 1:49 PM, Maitremathieu said:

Hi everybody,

I just filled out Form I-134 for my fiancée and wanted to make sure I got some things right:

• I'm supporting both my fiancée and her minor daughter. When reading the instructions at first it sounded like I need to fill out 2 forms, one for each of them, but then I realized her daughter was listed in the Part 2 #13 as a dependent, so it seems like just 1 form is necessary for my fiancée as the main beneficiary. Anybody know if this is correct, or do I need to fill out another one for my future step daughter as well?
  • In Part 2 #13 I listed both my fiancée and her daughter. Under Total Number of Dependents I put 1 - i.e. my fiancée has 1 dependent. Correct? Or should it be 2, because there are two names on the form?
  • In Part 3 #14 I put that I have 0 dependents, as I currently don't have any dependents living with me in the United States (i.e. my fiancée and her daughter are not my dependents yet). Plus, it says don't include individuals named in part 2. Is this correct?
  • In Part 3 #21 where it asks to explain the contributions you will make to the beneficiary, I just wrote "All expenses for (fiancée's name) and (step daughter's name)." Is this sufficient?
  • Attached to the form, I'll give my fiancée a copy of my US passport, letter from my employer stating my income, and my 2023 tax transcripts

Just as extra backup in case anything comes up, I also plan top bring all of my tax transcripts, W2s and 1040s going back 3 years, and all of my paystubs for this year. I know that may be a little hardcore, but I would feel better being over prepared.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

1. You will need to fill out a separate I-134 for each of them if they are both applying for a visa through you.

2. Correct, she has 1 dependent.

3.correct, 0 dependents for you.

4. Yes. I was a bit more detailed putting “provide housing, food, health insurance, and any living expenses”

5. It’s always better to be over prepared than underprepared. If you’re income is well over the minimum requirement you should be good with the tax transcripts and a few months pay stubs though. I took everything to the interview to be safe and let them decide what they actually needed at document submission.

I recommend taking 3 years tax transcript from IRS website, 3-6 months pay stubs, and a letter from work stating your salary. If you take W2s probably just the most recent year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.