et2024

221g Montreal IR1 Canada Post expedited vs pre-paid + Timeline

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so my wife had her interview done in the Montreal Embassy recently. She was told that we needed to send additional documents. She was given 221g and another page of instructions on how to send the documents. 

From my understanding, they have a pre-paid courier authorization certificate via Canada Post but we can only use in specific Canada Post locations. But in the instructions we were told that we can also send it ourselves (paying for our own postage) if we deem necessary. 

I have half a mind to still send it via Canada Post but pay for expedited shipping with tracking. Anyone has any experience with this? Would using the free pre-paid one be the same? Or do you guys think I should just pay for my own shipping so they can potentially get it faster? Will it make a difference? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to share their timeline from the 221g to getting their visa, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have many members with the DS5535 Canada, there is a long thread and you may wish to join them.

Which way you send it I doubt would be significant in the bigger picture.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What additional documents you need to send them? If missing civil documents then you need to send passport with those missing documents and it may takes 4-6 weeks to issue visa once documents are received.

If the consulate gave a link in the 221g print out to submit the online form with 15 years travel, work histories etc. then they served you DS-5535. In that case there is no  use of sending passport at this point. The DS-5535 clearance takes 6 months to more than a year. Consulate need your passport to stamp visa. In that case passport can be mailed once the clearance is received.

You may read this thread as mentioned above to get some idea about processing times.

Edited by Leo The Great

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

We have many members with the DS5535 Canada, there is a long thread and you may wish to join them.

Which way you send it I doubt would be significant in the bigger picture.

Thank you for replying but thankfully we were not under this DS5535 we just needed to send civil documents. 

16 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

What additional documents you need to send them? If missing civil documents then you need to send passport with those missing documents and it may takes 4-6 weeks to issue visa once documents are received.

If the consulate gave a link in the 221g print out to submit the online form with 15 years travel, work histories etc. then they served you DS-5535. In that case there is no  use of sending passport at this point. The DS-5535 clearance takes 6 months to more than a year. Consulate need your passport to stamp visa. In that case passport can be mailed once the clearance is received.

You may read this thread as mentioned above to get some idea about processing times.

We were just given a 221g and needed to submit additional civil documents along with her passport. So hopefully we will get her visa in 6-8 weeks as you mention. Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

FedEx seems to work well in the US, you need recorded delivery.

So whatever is the same in Canada.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 3/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, Dhrasti Patel said:

My husband had to send in civil documents as well. Interview on Jan 25. Documents delivered on Feb 8. Still haven't heard anything.

Oh wow, it’s been a while. Our documents were just received.
I hope we both hear back soon! 🤞🏼

Patience is the only remedy for this process. Stay calm and collective.

took me a year and too months got visa issued last month and got to the U.S. yesterday as a permanent resident and straight to the social security office to get everything taken care of.

keep your heads up and be patient.

Good luck folks🙏🙏🇨🇦🇺🇸

5 hours ago, Bestbest7 said:

Patience is the only remedy for this process. Stay calm and collective.

took me a year and too months got visa issued last month and got to the U.S. yesterday as a permanent resident and straight to the social security office to get everything taken care of.

keep your heads up and be patient.

Good luck folks🙏🙏🇨🇦🇺🇸

Do you mean it took a year and 2 months after you sent in the required documents or for the whole process in general? Either way, congratulations! 

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.