Med Ali

M-1 Visa Application Questions and Possible Alternatives

11 posts in this topic

Timeline
Greetings,

I'm looking for assistance with my M-1 visa application to attend a US aviation technical school for around 4 weeks, possibly a bit longer, through their accelerated program.
Although the school provided me with a visa letter, it currently lacks SEVIS accreditation, hindering the issuance of the required I-20 form for the M-1 Visa application.

I'm asking for help to explore potential solutions. Could the school provide an alternative to the I-20 form? Alternatively, is it possible for them to pursue a prompt SEVIS accreditation to facilitate the quick issuance of the required document?

If obtaining the M-1 Visa proves challenging, are there alternative visa options that don't necessitate an I-20 form and that will allow me to pursue the accelerated course at the aviation school? Perhaps I could pursue a visitor visa and participate in the program during the visit period? However, I'm hesitant about opting for a visitor visa due to its significantly longer wait and processing times compared to the M-1 student visa, unless there is a way to make it quicker than actually waiting for 6 months or more for a response. 

Any insight will be helpful. 

Thank you for your time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you want a M1 here is a School that can issue one, I am sure many others can:

https://www.usaviationacademy.com/international-student-entry-process-flight-school-m1-visa/

I would ask the School why they are not able to and of they have any plans to do so, on the face of it they are not focussed on International Students.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Posted (edited)

I checked the school you sent me and apparently they offer a 12-month program. I did not see any accelerated programs they have to offer compared to the 4-week program I am enrolled in right now at the other aviation school. 
I will contact them and see if they can offer a similar program. 

Edited by Med Ali

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

If you want a M1 here is a School that can issue one, I am sure many others can:

https://www.usaviationacademy.com/international-student-entry-process-flight-school-m1-visa/

I would ask the School why they are not able to and of they have any plans to do so, on the face of it they are not focussed on International Students.

I checked the school you sent me and apparently they offer a 12-month program. I did not see any accelerated programs they have to offer compared to the 4-week program I am enrolled in right now at the other aviation school. 
I will contact them and see if they can offer a similar program. 

Timeline

Then go for a B, 4 weeks does not really fall within the F/M category.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

that is what I thought too, but like I said the wait time for the B type visa is way longer than that of M/F type. 

Can I use the fact that I am tied to a class start date (which is in September) and the visa letter provided by the school that I will be enrolled in to expedite the process of my B1/B2 visa application?

Timeline

You can not expedite a B you can ask for an emergency appointment.

Filed: Timeline
On 3/6/2024 at 9:08 AM, Boiler said:

If the primary purpose of the entry is to attend a school (especially in a formal program that will likely lead to some type of credentialling), a B is not the appropriate visa — it is an M1, even for a four week program.  The B use for “study” is for something along the lines of going on vacation to the US and while there you take a weeklong class in something of interest.

Timeline
16 hours ago, jan22 said:

If the primary purpose of the entry is to attend a school (especially in a formal program that will likely lead to some type of credentialling), a B is not the appropriate visa — it is an M1, even for a four week program.  The B use for “study” is for something along the lines of going on vacation to the US and while there you take a weeklong class in something of interest.

That is what I head in mind too. But the school I am going too informed me that they don't issue an I-20 for programs that are just four weeks long. In this case, my best chance is to go for a B type visa and while there, go take the course. 

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, Med Ali said:

That is what I head in mind too. But the school I am going too informed me that they don't issue an I-20 for programs that are just four weeks long. In this case, my best chance is to go for a B type visa and while there, go take the course. 

If the school cannot issue an I-20 for the program, they should not be admitting foreign students to it.  To apply for a B visa when the primary reason is to attend a month-long, presumably full-time, course of study is essentially fraud unless you explain the full reason for your visa application and what you plan to do — at which time the visa would almost assuredly be denied.

7 hours ago, Med Ali said:

Time to find a different program then. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.