stupid48

I-130 application proof of marriage advice

9 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I've been having a long distance relationship with someone since the beginning of 2020 (I'm a U.S. citizen). I've travelled her direction a few times over the years (covid made it difficult for the first two years). We got married this January in Singapore. I will retire in about 15 months but in the meantime, I thought I would submit an I-130 to get her here. She is still in Singapore because her daughter in in school. I'm doing the online form and it asks for proof of marriage but all I really have is the pictures of our wedding, marriage cert, and an affidavit from my Mom. We don't have any shared accounts or shared properties since we live in different countries. The best proof I have is the history of our relationship before marriage (texts, pictures, travel plans, etc...). I don't see anywhere on the form where I can attach this sort of evidence. The proof of marriage and the additional proof of marriage section does not have an option to attach relationship evidence.

Can someone give me advice on what I should do?

Thanks much, Chris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The process from submitting I 130 to  interview is taking 18 months to 2 years 

you do not need to show shared accounts for the petition\

U will need income statements I 864 for the 2nd stage and possible a joint sponsor if retired

but u do need to file taxes as married (MFJ or MFS)

study the guides seen by hitting the word guides above in the blue bar to see the steps for the process

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, stupid48 said:

Hello there,

I've been having a long distance relationship with someone since the beginning of 2020 (I'm a U.S. citizen). I've travelled her direction a few times over the years (covid made it difficult for the first two years). We got married this January in Singapore. I will retire in about 15 months but in the meantime, I thought I would submit an I-130 to get her here. She is still in Singapore because her daughter in in school. I'm doing the online form and it asks for proof of marriage but all I really have is the pictures of our wedding, marriage cert, and an affidavit from my Mom. We don't have any shared accounts or shared properties since we live in different countries. The best proof I have is the history of our relationship before marriage (texts, pictures, travel plans, etc...). I don't see anywhere on the form where I can attach this sort of evidence. The proof of marriage and the additional proof of marriage section does not have an option to attach relationship evidence.

Can someone give me advice on what I should do?

Thanks much, Chris

You have things like passport stamps and boarding passes as primary evidence of the time you've spent together in person.  Throw out that affidavit from your mother.  Can't help and can hurt.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

53 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

You have things like passport stamps and boarding passes as primary evidence of the time you've spent together in person.  Throw out that affidavit from your mother.  Can't help and can hurt.  

Thanks for the advice.   I think what I don't understand is that on the online I-130, there's no ability to attach images or pdf's that would indicate the history of our relationship.   Do i wait for preliminary approval before I would have to provide those?

Timeline
17 hours ago, stupid48 said:

Thanks for the advice.   I think what I don't understand is that on the online I-130, there's no ability to attach images or pdf's that would indicate the history of our relationship.   Do i wait for preliminary approval before I would have to provide those?

Of course, there's a way to upload evidence.  Works the same way as uploading the I-130a.  You have that ready, right?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

12 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Of course, there's a way to upload evidence.  Works the same way as uploading the I-130a.  You have that ready, right?

Yes, I did upload the I-130a.   When I go to the "Proof Of Marriage" section, the valid file types are:  "Marriage Certificate" and "Other".   I suppose I can use "Other" but at the top, it only says to "Upload a copy of your marriage certificate".  It really doesn't say to use it to upload anything else.  In the "Additional Proof of Marriage" section, the valid file types are: "Deed", "Lease", "Bank Account Statement", "Birth Certificate" and "Affidavit".

Timeline
32 minutes ago, stupid48 said:

Yes, I did upload the I-130a.   When I go to the "Proof Of Marriage" section, the valid file types are:  "Marriage Certificate" and "Other".   I suppose I can use "Other" but at the top, it only says to "Upload a copy of your marriage certificate".  It really doesn't say to use it to upload anything else.  In the "Additional Proof of Marriage" section, the valid file types are: "Deed", "Lease", "Bank Account Statement", "Birth Certificate" and "Affidavit".

Use it to upload anything else.  It doesn't say don't...

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.