ap4295

Name Change for K1

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, Davemira said:

Ah. They dont know anything there..I would suggest going through with getting the ssn based on the I-94...You can always change last name  later.. Here in New York you are not allowed to change your middle name.. If youre name is Jane Smith Doe and you married John Brown...You can either use your maiden name or go with Jane Smith Brown...This is what i did.. I am a US citizen now ....so i changed my middle name based on the Philippine rule ..My US passport is like Jane Doe Brown...my driver's license is Jane Smith Brown....i did not apply for dual citizenship yet...its all good though on me..

Well, if we have to wait to change her name until she's a U.S citizen, it's no big deal. Waited long enough for everything else, what's one more thing right? We'll try to go again tomorrow. Hopefully we get a different person who knows what they're doing. Also going to bring in a memo from their own website that says K1 holders (and I-94 holders) are eligible for a SSN, and if they still want to argue I guess I'll be demanding to speak to a manager or something. I have rights dang it, and they should follow the law they are paid to enforce. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, we went again today and somehow got the exact same guy. Only this time we didn't mention being married and suddenly he was able to process a SSN for her just fine. Amazing lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.