CamilleER

"Document Was Returned to USCIS" Case Status

10 posts in this topic

This is my first time posting on here, so I apologize if this question is in the wrong forum! 

My fiance and I filed form I-129F back in September 2023. I contacted the Texas lockbox after a few weeks of no response, and they emailed me my receipt number and said they would resend the receipt notice as the first one was returned to them (I had just moved to a new place and the post office wasn't delivering my mail yet but I fixed that issue). I finally received NOA1 in November 2023. 

Now, when the receipt number was first emailed to me I checked the status right away and it said "document was returned to USCIS by the post office on October 11th" which was expected. I know USCIS takes a while to update case statuses as well. However, when I checked again in December, I now have the notice "Document was returned to USCIS by the post office on December 11th." I have sent two e-requests now and haven't heard back. I have no idea what document they tried sending, or if the website is just wrong. 

If anyone has experienced anything similar, please tell me. I thought I saw a thread on here about the same issue a little while ago, but I can't find it again.

Anything is helpful. Thank you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 1/27/2024 at 8:02 PM, CamilleER said:

This is my first time posting on here, so I apologize if this question is in the wrong forum! 

My fiance and I filed form I-129F back in September 2023. I contacted the Texas lockbox after a few weeks of no response, and they emailed me my receipt number and said they would resend the receipt notice as the first one was returned to them (I had just moved to a new place and the post office wasn't delivering my mail yet but I fixed that issue). I finally received NOA1 in November 2023. 

Now, when the receipt number was first emailed to me I checked the status right away and it said "document was returned to USCIS by the post office on October 11th" which was expected. I know USCIS takes a while to update case statuses as well. However, when I checked again in December, I now have the notice "Document was returned to USCIS by the post office on December 11th." I have sent two e-requests now and haven't heard back. I have no idea what document they tried sending, or if the website is just wrong. 

If anyone has experienced anything similar, please tell me. I thought I saw a thread on here about the same issue a little while ago, but I can't find it again.

Anything is helpful. Thank you. 

try emma chatbot. Your NOA1 is bouncing back to post office each time. Try talking to post office on why you may not be recieving mail too

I-129f filed: 2022-10-21  ||  NOA1: 2022-10-24  ||  NOA2: 2023-09-21
NVC Received: 2023-10-13  ||  NVC in transit: 2023-10-24  ||  NVC Ready: 2023-10-26 

Medical: 2023-11-24  ||  Interview: 2023-12-14  ||  CEAC Issued: 2023-12-18  ||  VOH: 2023-12-20
Entry to US: 2024-02-14 || Married: 2024-02-29

---

AOS filed: 2024-03-18 ||  NOA1: 2024-03-20 || Biometrics: 2024-04-01
EAD NOA2: 2024-04-02  ||  EAD Received: 2024-04-24
GC Approval: ...

Hello,

Oh my goodness I can't believe I have found someone who is going through the same thing as me!!!

I have also been met with constant 'Document Returned to USCIS' status updates. No matter how many times I tell them the correct address or send an e-request the mail just keeps being bounced back and we have had 3 of these status updates in a month despite only requesting the document ONCE. We think a few cases are getting hit with major admin errors.

We have decided to call mid February and ask for a Tier 2 officer to tell us what on earth is going on with our account. To prep for this we have done the following:

1) Put my fiancés name on the post box (someone USPS won't deliver governmental post if its not clear)

2) Signed up for informed delivery (we know this works now as we have had other post come through on it)

HOWEVER...WE know this is not a postal issue. You already have a copy of the NOA1 which means they can successfully send post to you... the same is happening to us so I know how frustrating it is for people to tell you it's a postal issue as you also have a copy of it so it can't be a postal issue!)

We think what might have happened is the address has been printed wrong on the original NOA1 and because no one is checking it just keeps getting sent back and forth. My fiance has never had any postal issues before this and he has lived in his apartment for a while so I would suggest to do the same thing as us and call and ask for a tier 2 officer.

Let's keep in contact as I really think we are the only two in history to get this kind of situation where the address is right, we can receive post but we are still getting this status update.

5 hours ago, NizoPark said:

Hello,

Oh my goodness I can't believe I have found someone who is going through the same thing as me!!!

I have also been met with constant 'Document Returned to USCIS' status updates. No matter how many times I tell them the correct address or send an e-request the mail just keeps being bounced back and we have had 3 of these status updates in a month despite only requesting the document ONCE. We think a few cases are getting hit with major admin errors.

We have decided to call mid February and ask for a Tier 2 officer to tell us what on earth is going on with our account. To prep for this we have done the following:

1) Put my fiancés name on the post box (someone USPS won't deliver governmental post if its not clear)

2) Signed up for informed delivery (we know this works now as we have had other post come through on it)

HOWEVER...WE know this is not a postal issue. You already have a copy of the NOA1 which means they can successfully send post to you... the same is happening to us so I know how frustrating it is for people to tell you it's a postal issue as you also have a copy of it so it can't be a postal issue!)

We think what might have happened is the address has been printed wrong on the original NOA1 and because no one is checking it just keeps getting sent back and forth. My fiance has never had any postal issues before this and he has lived in his apartment for a while so I would suggest to do the same thing as us and call and ask for a tier 2 officer.

Let's keep in contact as I really think we are the only two in history to get this kind of situation where the address is right, we can receive post but we are still getting this status update.

Thank you so much! This is super helpful information. I think I'll try calling tomorrow, because this has really been stressing me and my fiance out. I can let you know what they say (provided it works out).

16 hours ago, CamilleER said:

Thank you so much! This is super helpful information. I think I'll try calling tomorrow, because this has really been stressing me and my fiance out. I can let you know what they say (provided it works out).

Thank you so much please do keep us updated! 

it’s been stressing me out too I feel like we will be stuck in this loop forever especially since newer months are being approved now! 

On 1/30/2024 at 5:28 AM, NizoPark said:

Thank you so much please do keep us updated! 

it’s been stressing me out too I feel like we will be stuck in this loop forever especially since newer months are being approved now! 

I called this morning, I only spoke to a Tier 1 officer so obviously he didn't tell me much but he did let me know they have been having server issues so there is a high chance the case status is a mistake. He told me to send in another e-request (I explained the last two went unanswered) and if that one isn't resolved I should call again and they will connect me with a Tier 2 officer next time. 

So, looks like I'll be waiting another month, but hearing anything from a real person who works there is better than nothing imo. In your case I would definitely ask to speak with a Tier 2 officer like you planned since this has been an issue for you for longer. 

12 hours ago, CamilleER said:

I called this morning, I only spoke to a Tier 1 officer so obviously he didn't tell me much but he did let me know they have been having server issues so there is a high chance the case status is a mistake. He told me to send in another e-request (I explained the last two went unanswered) and if that one isn't resolved I should call again and they will connect me with a Tier 2 officer next time. 

So, looks like I'll be waiting another month, but hearing anything from a real person who works there is better than nothing imo. In your case I would definitely ask to speak with a Tier 2 officer like you planned since this has been an issue for you for longer. 

Just from my own experience this is what we were told the first three times we called and we ended up with multiple 'Document Returned' statuses on our account because the mail keeps being sent back (it takes just over a month for post to be sent out and returned) so I would refrain from sending any more e-requests as it might be causing multiple NOA1s to be sent out and then returned which is only going to cause more issues for you account (this is exactly what's happened to us).

My advice would be to pause, wait for a month and see if you get any more status updates and then call again next month and ask for a tier 2 officer. I can almost guarantee they did respond to your e-request but the post sent out is being returned.

I have a post on here about my experience if you want to read it. Might help you! We are going to call second week of February and ask for a Tier 2 officer immediately so will keep you updated!

14 hours ago, NizoPark said:

Just from my own experience this is what we were told the first three times we called and we ended up with multiple 'Document Returned' statuses on our account because the mail keeps being sent back (it takes just over a month for post to be sent out and returned) so I would refrain from sending any more e-requests as it might be causing multiple NOA1s to be sent out and then returned which is only going to cause more issues for you account (this is exactly what's happened to us).

My advice would be to pause, wait for a month and see if you get any more status updates and then call again next month and ask for a tier 2 officer. I can almost guarantee they did respond to your e-request but the post sent out is being returned.

I have a post on here about my experience if you want to read it. Might help you! We are going to call second week of February and ask for a Tier 2 officer immediately so will keep you updated!

Ah, I see. I think my situation may be a bit different though as I'm not convinced there actually is another piece of mail floating around somewhere (unless it's a second copy of the NOA1? not sure) but I definitely will be calling again if it's not resolved by March. Thank you for your input and I will be looking out for updates from you! 

9 hours ago, CamilleER said:

Ah, I see. I think my situation may be a bit different though as I'm not convinced there actually is another piece of mail floating around somewhere (unless it's a second copy of the NOA1? not sure) but I definitely will be calling again if it's not resolved by March. Thank you for your input and I will be looking out for updates from you! 

I think we do have similar situations because as far as we know it's only the original copy floating around still however we got 3 'document returned' statuses. We did not request that many documents! We are unconvinced there are multiple documents being returned and sent but I suppose that's why we have to call to figure out what's actually happening haha!

I hope we both get it sorted soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.