Alytes

How to renew Nepal passport? Need to? Travel possible without?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

My Nepali husband's passport expires in May.  He has a 2-year conditional green card that expires in October.  We would like to travel outside the US to vacation.  We followed the steps listed on the Nepal passports website for setting up an appointment at the Nepali consulate in the US (NY or DC), for him to renew his passport, but there are no appointments available ever at either location.  No one answers email or phone calls.  Several other countries have appointments, so the website is working.  My understanding is that he doesn't need an active passport to renew his green card later this year, but please let me know if this is incorrect.  If he can't renew, then do we just never travel outside the US until he gets citizenship?  Does he/can he return to Nepal to renew the passport?  I also think I understand that he can return to US with only a green card, but most countries won't let him in without a green card and Nepal passport with 6+ months before expiry (I know there are different rules for entry in each country, also dependent on nationality).

13 minutes ago, Alytes said:

My Nepali husband's passport expires in May.  He has a 2-year conditional green card that expires in October.  We would like to travel outside the US to vacation.  We followed the steps listed on the Nepal passports website for setting up an appointment at the Nepali consulate in the US (NY or DC), for him to renew his passport, but there are no appointments available ever at either location.  No one answers email or phone calls.  Several other countries have appointments, so the website is working.  My understanding is that he doesn't need an active passport to renew his green card later this year, but please let me know if this is incorrect.  If he can't renew, then do we just never travel outside the US until he gets citizenship?  Does he/can he return to Nepal to renew the passport?  I also think I understand that he can return to US with only a green card, but most countries won't let him in without a green card and Nepal passport with 6+ months before expiry (I know there are different rules for entry in each country, also dependent on nationality).

He needs a valid passport, full stop.   There is no way around that.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Nobody will allow him on a plane without valid passport. Talk to Nepalese friends, groups online to see how people renew their passports. It's essential to renew it for international travel.

His Nepali passport is valid until May 2024, so I think he has to go back to Nepal to renew asap while it is still valid if the US consulates aren’t functioning. He doesn’t have any Nepali friends in US, though I’ve been trying to encourage him to find community. 

7 minutes ago, Alytes said:

His Nepali passport is valid until May 2024, so I think he has to go back to Nepal to renew asap while it is still valid if the US consulates aren’t functioning. He doesn’t have any Nepali friends in US, though I’ve been trying to encourage him to find community. 

Make sure he doesn't have to go through immigration in any other countries on the way to Nepal. Some countries require 6 month validity for passport to enter!

Timeline
21 hours ago, OldUser said:

Make sure he doesn't have to go through immigration in any other countries on the way to Nepal. Some countries require 6 month validity for passport to enter!

This is the problem we’ve been running up against. I think we figured out Nepali can transit through Doha, Qatar as long as their passport is valid, with no six month rule, and they are traveling on a single airline ticket. But I’m still terrified I’m going to muck it up. 

3 minutes ago, Alytes said:

This is the problem we’ve been running up against. I think we figured out Nepali can transit through Doha, Qatar as long as their passport is valid, with no six month rule, and they are traveling on a single airline ticket. But I’m still terrified I’m going to muck it up. 

Good luck to your spouse and let us now how it goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

While it is not recommended to be without a current passport, if he was to not leave the US until he naturalized, then he can live here without a current Nepalese passport. Usually expired passports are still valid for a ID purposes for a period of time 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 1/18/2024 at 9:34 PM, Alytes said:

I would be emailing the consulate to enquire about appointments 

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

While it is not recommended to be without a current passport, if he was to not leave the US until he naturalized, then he can live here without a current Nepalese passport. Usually expired passports are still valid for a ID purposes for a period of time 

Agreed, valid passport is not a requirement, but I'd renew it. You never know if you need to go to a family emergency back in Nepal etc.

I'd try much harder to renew inside of the US. On the other hand, if OP's husban hasn't been to Nepal for a while, it might be a good opportunuty to visit family. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.