EternalForeigner

I-551 stamp at US preclearance airport?

27 posts in this topic

Just now, JD2 said:

yea it was a real problem returning from abroad but eventually worked out.  glad her green card came quick

I can imagine. We had a tough enough time getting people like my daughters employer and bank employees to understand that our I-551's acted as temporary green cards even with the stamp - the employer in particular (Starbucks, who you'd think would know better!) were most insistent that she couldn't work until she had the physical green card. It took a lot of print outs from the USCIS website and arguing to make them realise, if she hadn't had hers stamped she'd have had no chance. 

2 hours ago, JD2 said:

yea it was a real problem returning from abroad but eventually worked out.  glad her green card came quick

Is there any way to get a proof of permanent residence in this case without needing for the physical green card to come through?

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/31/2023 at 1:21 PM, appleblossom said:

Really strange. I just can't see how that would work for anything else i.e. employment checks, bank checks, etc, as they won't be able to access the digital systems, so will rely on the actual stamp and date next to the visa. 

I wonder if there will be a push for SAVE verification or reliance on state issued ID?  Right now SAVE is only available to federal, state and municipal governments.  

It really makes no sense considering people get the ADIT stamp to affix to their passports.  Why wouldn't CBP stamp the damned passport?  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

1 hour ago, mam521 said:

I wonder if there will be a push for SAVE verification or reliance on state issued ID?  Right now SAVE is only available to federal, state and municipal governments.  

It really makes no sense considering people get the ADIT stamp to affix to their passports.  Why wouldn't CBP stamp the damned passport?  

State issued ID won't work as not everybody has a driving licence or similar though, and it wouldn't prove you're a GC holder anyway. It's definitely really odd if they really are no longer stamping passports, I just don't know how you're supposed to prove your status without that bit of ink! 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

State issued ID won't work as not everybody has a driving licence or similar though, and it wouldn't prove you're a GC holder anyway. It's definitely really odd if they really are no longer stamping passports, I just don't know how you're supposed to prove your status without that bit of ink! 

You can get a state issued ID that is simply that - an ID.  The states that issue Real ID's all use the SAVE ID due to obligation and I know 100% Texas ID's are only issued with visa or GC expiration dates coinciding with the state issued ID.  Regardless, its an unnecessary layer in an already convoluted and complicated process!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

12 minutes ago, mam521 said:

You can get a state issued ID that is simply that - an ID.  The states that issue Real ID's all use the SAVE ID due to obligation and I know 100% Texas ID's are only issued with visa or GC expiration dates coinciding with the state issued ID.  Regardless, its an unnecessary layer in an already convoluted and complicated process!

You can, but it's yet another cost, and not everybody can get one - my teenage son couldn't for example, so he'd have had no way of proving his LPR status without the stamp until the GC arrived. Luckily, we all have our GC's now, but it's far from ideal for anybody new arriving if they really have stopped stamping/endorsing visas. 

Timeline
On 1/3/2024 at 9:35 AM, appleblossom said:

You can, but it's yet another cost, and not everybody can get one - my teenage son couldn't for example, so he'd have had no way of proving his LPR status without the stamp until the GC arrived. Luckily, we all have our GC's now, but it's far from ideal for anybody new arriving if they really have stopped stamping/endorsing visas. 

If he was 14 and had his social, he should have been able to.  

Regardless, we agree, it's really problematic for people not to be receiving that stamp!  Bad decision, CBP & USCIS!  Bad decision!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

My parents just got their immigrant visas (IR-5) and the annotation says: "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" so they're clearly still doing endorsment stamps.

Edited by EternalForeigner

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

2 minutes ago, EternalForeigner said:

My parents just got their immigrant visas (IR-5) and the annotation says: "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" so they're clearly still doing endorsment stamps.

My wife's CR-1 said the same thing but she did not get a stamp on it.

1 minute ago, JD2 said:

My wife's CR-1 said the same thing but she did not get a stamp on it.

Did you ever end up getting that fixed? From what I've seen online was that some were able to make an appointment to get a stamp.

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

1 minute ago, EternalForeigner said:

Did you ever end up getting that fixed? From what I've seen online was that some were able to make an appointment to get a stamp.

We went back to the POE and talked to CBP and they said they don't stamp anymore.  It's all electronic.  I applied for an ADIT stamp and USCIS said no.  Then the GC came in the mail so we no longer cared.

Edited by JD2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.