woki1986

K1 entry, 13 year resident, divorced

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I am posting here after a long time because I have questions.

I entered the USA on a k1 visa in 2010 and I am on my 2nd G.C. at this point.

I was divorced in 2020, before I renewed my Green card for the second 10 year stint to start.

I still have all of the paperwork from the immigration filing process, copies of everything that my ex filed. Supporting paperwork and everything.

I don't intend on becoming a citizen at this time and will keep renewing cards unless something changes. I have a new partner, whom has two children from a previous marriage. We have been in a relationship for 3 years.

Do I 'need' to keep all of the old paperwork? Original applications, lifting of conditions, etc.  Is there anything related to the Green card that I need to do? I have gainful employment, pay my taxes. I'm just not married any more.

Do I have to worry that I'm not married any more? I was married for 10 years and have been here in the states for 13 total.

Also I'd like to change my user name...

8 minutes ago, MattHeartCass said:

Do I 'need' to keep all of the old paperwork? Original applications, lifting of conditions, etc.  Is there anything related to the Green card that I need to do? I have gainful employment, pay my taxes. I'm just not married any more.

I would strongly suggest to keep copies of all immigration related documents you listed above. One day you may need to apply for US citizenship and at that point USCIS can ask you any question about your past immigration history, petitions, etc.

You don't need to keep physical copies though for pay stubs, bank statements etc. You can scan them and store on your computer / in the cloud / USB drive.

I would keep original USCIS notices as well as make copies of them just in case.

You never know when you may need all of these docs again.

Essentially, USCIS can accuse you of anything many years later, and you need to prove you got your status legally etc. I'd keep those documents even after becoming a US citizen, because you never know who would be in administration and what they may do to immigrants.

8 minutes ago, MattHeartCass said:

Do I have to worry that I'm not married any more? I was married for 10 years and have been here in the states for 13 total.

No need to worry

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from K1 P&P - the OP is long past the K1 visa process.~~

Mod hat off

It is always good to keep your records until you are done with all of it. 

To change your username go to your profile-account setting and you will see your display name. You change it there. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.