Ana_

Humanitarian Request approved, what is next?

22 posts in this topic

Hello, hoping someone can shed some light for me. My brother's case was approved and the petitioner passed. I realized years later that I could send a letter to request humanitarian reinstatement and be his sponsor. Sent the letter in June 2022, got a letter from USCIS in October 2023 saying case was reaffirmed and sent to NVC. Now when I enter in the CEAC, the Petitioner appears as the primary sponsor, is this how it is supposed to be? or should they have added me as the primary sponsor to the system? Tried contacting the NVC but they keep giving me conflicting information. 

1 hour ago, Ana MT said:

Now when I enter in the CEAC, the Petitioner appears as the primary sponsor, is this how it is supposed to be? or should they have added me as the primary sponsor to the system?

The petitioner is the primary sponsor.  After humanitarian reinstatement, you are the substitute sponsor -- https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM060114.html#M601_14_5

Send an inquiry to NVC on where to upload your financial support documents as substitute sponsor.  Emphasize that this case was approved by USCIS for humanitarian reinstatement.

• 4 weeks later...

I did and they just dont help me! I have contacted them numerous times, they even told me to talk to USCIS, well I did. USCIS tells me everything is good on their end and to contact NVC, I am so frustrated, i am updating my documentation under the petitioner/primary sponsor because this is a joke and we have been waiting for too long. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lymen said:

Hi Ana

i would like to apply for humanitarian reinstatement also but the form I-864 currently on the USCIS website has an expiry on 12-31-23. Do you know if it’s still valid to use this year?

It has a different date on the USCIS website. But also says to use it despite the date when you select ‘Edition Date’ from the drop down menu - https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

Good luck. 

On 12/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, Ana_ said:

Hello, hoping someone can shed some light for me. My brother's case was approved and the petitioner passed. I realized years later that I could send a letter to request humanitarian reinstatement and be his sponsor. Sent the letter in June 2022, got a letter from USCIS in October 2023 saying case was reaffirmed and sent to NVC. Now when I enter in the CEAC, the Petitioner appears as the primary sponsor, is this how it is supposed to be? or should they have added me as the primary sponsor to the system? Tried contacting the NVC but they keep giving me conflicting information. 

I want to add an update for those in the same boat. I added my documents under the principal sponsor/petitioner (the dead petitioner). NVC has now added me as a substitute sponsor and I have to resubmit my documents, they also N/A the requirement for the petitioner. Will update you once I get more info! 

AOS.PNG

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2024 at 4:39 AM, Lymen said:

Hi Ana

Did you receive a receipt notice from USCIS when you initially sent your request?

If so, after how long?

Hi there, I did not. I know some people have, so I was worried they did not get my letter, but they did. I sent my letter June 2022 and I got the reaffirmation letter (approval for humanitarian reinstatement) October 2023, so a little over a year. 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, Ana_ said:

Hi there, I did not. I know some people have, so I was worried they did not get my letter, but they did. I sent my letter June 2022 and I got the reaffirmation letter (approval for humanitarian reinstatement) October 2023, so a little over a year. 

Thank you so much for your response Ana. Hoping for the best🙏🏾

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.