ACalmCountry

My first RFE for I-751 help needed

92 posts in this topic

Ok thank you for your prompt reply . I just got off the phone from the IRS and the gentleman I spoke to seemed to think that the record of account transcript would be the best option as it includes both the tax return transcript you mentioned and the tax account transcript we already have. But I guess you are saying order the tax return transcript. Then we will have both serves same purpose. 

Edited by ACalmCountry

With all due respect to IRS, they do not know anything about immigration.

Just send what everybody sends and what USCIS usually asks for which is the tax return transcript. Don’t confuse USICS, just keep it simple. More paperwork doesn’t mean better.

5 minutes ago, ACalmCountry said:

But I guess you are saying order the tax return transcript.

You don’t need to order it. Just click download and print it out. That’s it.

41 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Tax return transcript. Download directly on the IRS website.

Ok thank you for your prompt reply . I just got off the phone from the IRS and the gentleman I spoke to seemed to think that the record of account transcript would be the best option as it includes both the tax return transcript you mentioned and the tax account transcript we already have. But I guess you are saying order the tax return transcript. Then we will have both serves same purpose. The original RFE says complete joint federal and state tax returns inc schedules /attatchmenrs and W2s so I was just confused as to which forms we needed. So to clarify we have the tax account transcript for each year    now we just need to download the tax return transcript for each year. Or just download the record of account transcript which has both.

Edited by ACalmCountry

Just the tax return transcript. Nothing more. W2s are required if you’re submitting a full tax return (not transcript but full return you sent off to IRS when you did your taxes). If that’s what you want to send, you can do that but that will be a lot of pages. Then you’ll have to include W2s and/or any schedules.

Edited by powerpuff

4 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Just the tax return transcript. Nothing more. W2s are required if you’re submitting a full tax return (not transcript but full return you sent off to IRS when you did your taxes). If that’s what you want to send, you can do that but that will be a lot of pages. Then you’ll have to include W2s and/or any schedules.

Just the tax return transcript? The letter is asking for complete joint federal and state tax returns inc schedules /attatchmenrs and W2s. 

This is all so confusing and stressful why can’t things just be made clear. They make everything so difficult. I thought I had this all worked out now I’m confused again.

21 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

With all due respect to IRS, they do not know anything about immigration.

Just send what everybody sends and what USCIS usually asks for which is the tax return transcript. Don’t confuse USICS, just keep it simple. More paperwork doesn’t mean better.

You don’t need to order it. Just click download and print it out. That’s it.

Ok.  Sorry. It’s the wording on the RFE that’s bothering me. I want to give them exactly what they ask for. Yes I understand you can download it directly. 

5 minutes ago, ACalmCountry said:

Just the tax return transcript? The letter is asking for complete joint federal and state tax returns inc schedules /attatchmenrs and W2s. 

This is all so confusing and stressful why can’t things just be made clear. They make everything so difficult. I thought I had this all worked out now I’m confused again.

I don’t know what the RFE is asking for exactly but usually when submitting financial documents to USCIS they either ask for a full tax return accompanied by W2/schedules/etc OR just a tax return transcript. You have to make a decision if you want to send just the tax return transcripts or if you want to send exactly what the RFE is asking for.

Just now, ACalmCountry said:

Ok.  Sorry. It’s the wording on the RFE that’s bothering me. I want to give them exactly what they ask for. Yes I understand you can download it directly. 

I see what you mean. If you want to give them exactly what they’re asking for then forget any transcripts; you have to submit full tax returns you submitted to the IRS back when you did your taxes along with any W2s/schedules/etc.

17 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

I don’t know what the RFE is asking for exactly but usually when submitting financial documents to USCIS they either ask for a full tax return accompanied by W2/schedules/etc OR just a tax return transcript. You have to make a decision if you want to send just the tax return transcripts or if you want to send exactly what the RFE is asking for.

I see what you mean. If you want to give them exactly what they’re asking for then forget any transcripts; you have to submit full tax returns you submitted to the IRS back when you did your taxes along with any W2s/schedules/etc.

Where would I get full tax returns including W2s and schedules? Once again excuse my ignorance of these matters my wife does our taxes. 

42 minutes ago, ACalmCountry said:

Where would I get full tax returns including W2s and schedules? Once again excuse my ignorance of these matters my wife does our taxes. 

She should have it then. For us, our tax preparer gave us copies after he did our taxes (it’s form 1040). W2 your employer mailed them to you or you can also find them on your employment portal. 

Edited by powerpuff
Typo

11 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

She should have it then. For us, our tax preparer gave us copies after he did our taxes (it’s firm 1040). W2 your employer mailed them to you or you can also find them on your employment portal. 

Yes I’ll ask her. The W2s for some years I may have I’ll check. I found this on the IRS website: 

Copy of Your Tax Return

To get a complete copy of a previously filed tax return, along with all attachments (including Form W-2), submit Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. Refer to the form for instructions and for the processing fee.

looks like it costs 47 for each copy and may take 75 days which may take too long as I have to have this in by early February.  Hopefully my wife had the returns. Thanks so much for your help today @powerpuff I really appreciate it. I’m trying to stay calm! 

24 minutes ago, ACalmCountry said:

Hopefully my wife had the returns. Thanks so much for your help today @powerpuff I really appreciate it. I’m trying to stay calm! 

You got this. :) 

25 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

You got this. :) 

Just spoke to the wife she does it through turbotax thank god so it should be pretty easy to get them. I was freaking out thinking id have to get them from the IRS because there is not enough time and its costly. It looks like i have my W2s so that's all good too. Once again i thank you @powerpuff for your help. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ACalmCountry said:

We managed to get our tax returns printed out so that’s fine (we also have the IRS tax transcripts). A quick question though the federal and state  tax return copies we printed out from turbo tax would they need to be signed? I have seen conflicting info on this in the site just curious what others think.  

Whether they should be signed depends if you filed electronically (no signature) or printed them out and mailed them (with a wet signature).

Reading your concerns, if I were you and wanted to cover all your bases, I would:

- Send the tax returns (including all W2s and schedules) as they appear in TurboTax to satisfy the wording of the RFE

- Also send in the associated tax return transcripts

In other words, if you’re worried about whether to send one or the other, just do both.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.