7Coconut

Biometrics Appointment for I130 the Petitioner???

10 posts in this topic

I hope you're all doing well. I'm writing to seek advice or insight from anyone who might have experienced a similar situation.

Here's a brief overview of my situation:

1. My spouse, a U.S. citizen, filed a family-based green card application for me with a priority date (PD) of August 8, 2022. We filed I130 and I485 together.
  2. I didn't submit the I-693 because I thought I would bring it to the interview. The USCIS gave a Courtesy Letter but hasn't asked for it yet.
  3. I previously held an F1 visa.
  4. I completed the biometrics appointment in September 2022. I received my EAD card in April 2023.

The twist in the story is that, after a long period of silence and no updates, my husband got a notice in the mail asking him to complete a biometrics appointment. 

This seems unusual to me for a couple of reasons:

• I rarely saw anyone share any experience about a biometrics appointment for the petitioner. The only one I could find was back in 2009.
  • Comparing our timeline to many others who have shared their experiences online, our processing seems to be taking considerably longer.

Are there any potential reasons for this timeline and biometrics situation, and should we be concerned about any potential issues with our application? This journey has been quite confusing and stressful for us. Thank you in advance for your help and support!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 forum to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas****

This uncommon, but not completely unheard of.  Petitioners are sometimes asked for biometrics, but not often.  Does petitioner have a previous history of sponsoring immigrants?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

16 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 forum to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas****

This uncommon, but not completely unheard of.  Petitioners are sometimes asked for biometrics, but not often.  Does petitioner have a previous history of sponsoring immigrants?

Thanks for your response. No, the petitioner never sponsored anyone else before.

1 hour ago, 7Coconut said:

Are there any potential reasons for this timeline and biometrics situation, and should we be concerned about any potential issues with our application? This journey has been quite confusing and stressful for us. Thank you in advance for your help and support!

It is rare, and there can be various reasons. One of them is Adam Walsh Act.

Make sure to have a serious and heart to heart chat with your spouse to confirm he did not have issues with law related to that legislation...

Edited by OldUser

3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

It is rare, and there can be various reasons. One of them is Adam Walsh Act.

Make sure to have a serious and heart to heart chat with your spouse to confirm he did not have issues with law related to that legislation...

Ohh noooo. I would be very upset if he had issues relevant to this law. In such a situation, would he still be eligible to continue the I130 application?

16 minutes ago, 7Coconut said:

Ohh noooo. I would be very upset if he had issues relevant to this law. In such a situation, would he still be eligible to continue the I130 application?

My understanding is, probably no. I believe there's a special provision in the law for this case. I'd consult with immigration lawyer if this is the problem.

20 minutes ago, OldUser said:

My understanding is, probably no. I believe there's a special provision in the law for this case. I'd consult with immigration lawyer if this is the problem.

Thank you for the information!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

AWA is enforced for K1 fiance petitions.  I have not heard it being applied to I-130.

I assume that is because for a K1, the gov. want to help prevent the marriage to a potential DV abuser.  For I-130, the couple are already married.

38 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

AWA is enforced for K1 fiance petitions.  I have not heard it being applied to I-130.

I assume that is because for a K1, the gov. want to help prevent the marriage to a potential DV abuser.  For I-130, the couple are already married.

Thank you for the explanation! Yeah, we're married and I've been living in the US for a few years. I also looked up my husband's name in the state's public criminal records and didn't find anything...

• 5 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.