Converse34

Would you risk it?

39 posts in this topic

So Conrad is visiting me in Chicago this week. His interview is on London on Wed 8.8. We had planned this trip before we got our interview date and I have him returning on Aug 7th which lands the morning of 8.8. His flight gets in at 6am and our appointment is 10:30. Should I have him go back a day earlier and spend a night in a hotel or should I risk it and go as scheduled? What would you all do?

I should also mention we are in no real rush to travel. Planning a late Oct early Nov wedding so he just need to be here in Oct.

Edited by Converse34

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would have to go home the day before no way I could risk it. If the flight got delayed or worse canceled you can still do something about it. I would just be a quivering wreck especially given all the grief to get to this point and then find you missed your appointment, the embassy are pissed that you didn't show so throw in a ridiculous date for rescheduling.

However after saying all that it's easy for me to say with a clear head. If it were me with my clouded loved up judgment I would risk it for just that one more day with my honey.

So all in all a really unhelpful post that I thought to share with you.

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Hmm.. its possible if ALL modes of transport run to timetable! I assume he's getting into Heathrow? Remember that if the plane lands at 6am you should give yourself anything up to an hour to get through immigration and collect baggage. Add about an hour to get into central London (possibly longer as it will be a weekday rush). So - with a bit of luck - he could be where he needs to be by about 8-8:30am.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Because getting there is out of my control I wouldn't risk it. Of course I am one of those 'be early' people so it would be driving me nuts worrying if the airline schedule was on-time or not :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I agree with everyone who suggested an earlier arrival. There are to many variables out of your control with respect to air travel these days... is it worth the risk and hassle to you if he misses the appointment?

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Definately would not risk it. Would return a day early (at least). Good luck.

Jan 5, 2007: I-129F sent

Jan 16, 2007: NOA1

April 9, 2007: touched (in the afternoon- Monday)

April 9, 2007: RFE notice via email (11:30pm- Monday)

April 12, 2007: RFE hardcopy received in post(Thursday)

April 14, 2007: touched (Saturday???)

April 16, 2007: Sent off more evidence to CSC (Monday)

April 17, 2007: Package arrives at CSC (10am Tuesday) (post office receipt...no notice of receipt from CSC)

April 24, 2007: email notification that CSC received my RFE reply on Apr. 24

April 24, 2007: touch

April 25, 2007: touch

April 27, 2007: touch

April 27: 2007: NOA2!!! (8:20pm email)

April 28, 2007: touch

May 2, 2007: NOA2 Hard copy received in snail mail

May 10, 2007: NVC received petition

May 30, 2007: Packet 3 received in post, scheduled medical appt.

June 12, 2007: London Medical

June 4, 2007: Packet 3 returned to Embassy

June 22, 2007: Packet 4 received

July 25, 2007: Interview!!! ...Approved!

I would go back a day earlier if possible. You want your fiance to be in a good mental/physical state when they arrive to their interview. For most of us, even if the interview turns out to be a non-stressful event, the time immediately leading up to it is quite stressful. I would imagine that your fiance's nerves might be somewhat on-edge if they're worried about being late to the interview. And, I imagine that anticipation of the interview itself will also have your fiance nervous. If they go back a day early, then they are relieved from worrying about possible flight delays etc. And, they can get a good night of rest before they go in for this important inteview.

Peace to all,

Mark-N-AAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

I would go back a day earlier if possible. You want your fiance to be in a good mental/physical state when they arrive to their interview. For most of us, even if the interview turns out to be a non-stressful event, the time immediately leading up to it is quite stressful. I would imagine that your fiance's nerves might be somewhat on-edge if they're worried about being late to the interview. And, I imagine that anticipation of the interview itself will also have your fiance nervous. If they go back a day early, then they are relieved from worrying about possible flight delays etc. And, they can get a good night of rest before they go in for this important inteview.

Peace to all,

Mark-N-AAm

Whats one of them then?

I had a total of 1.5 hours sleep the night before my interview, does anyone sleep well the day before with all the what ifs firmly embedded in your brain?

Our Visa Journey

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/11 - Wedding!!

Got 10-year Greencard

So there are flights to LHR at 4pm, 6pm and 9pm. I have him on the 4pm - and although there are often delays at ORD, longhaul flights are usually given priority. Hmmm. I am still undecided. I will think about it over the weekend.

What is the worst that happends - we miss the interview and have to reschedule. Hmmm.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Yeah....well even with his loved up clouded judgement, I'd send his cute little butt back a day early becuase I am a worrier. We've had WAY too many delayed/cancelled flights between the 2 of us these past couple of years.

Our Visa Journey

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/11 - Wedding!!

Got 10-year Greencard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

i would definitely leave a day or 2 earlier. peace of mind is a great thing and i know if i arrived in london at 6am from a trans-atlantic flight i would be in no fit shape to be fully alert for an interview that very morning!

Good luck though!

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like he is flying United.

I have only ever arived early, I sued to go straight to the City and be there by 9.30.

So should not be a problem, and you have two later flights if there is.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but what is?

And not as if you have to be at your best for the limited interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.