Captain Ewok

Suggestions to improve the timeline system

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I do not believe it's a good idea to force people to fill in any timelines, especially new users when registering.

Some people are very concerned with their privacy and others don't mind sharing everything about their lives in open public (e.g. myspace.com). If you force people to fill in timelines to be able to register, I know with 100% certainty that you'll get lots of bad data in your sample size.

Whenever I'm forced to enter private data in any sort of registration process online, I purposely enter false or random data. Unless it's my bank or some government site where it's legally required, I've never given out my true birth date. Even when asking for gender, I'll usually put the opposite of my true gender. I like my privacy thanks.

BECAUSE of the fact that the current timeline entry system was NOT mandatory, I had decided a while back to fill it in with true and accurate data to help with the cause. Had it been forced upon me initially when I registered, I can guarantee I would have entered in random and false data. For that reason, I do not like the idea of making timeline data entry mandatory. It will only annoy certain privacy oriented people and will only increase false data in the sample size. I'd rather have a smaller sample size with true and accurate data than a larger sample size with lots of forced and false data thrown in.

I like the system as it currently is. I did receive the email Capt E. sent two days ago. I wouldn't mind receiving an email like that every once in a while but if sent too often, it's going to annoy some users. I'd suggest sending one out every 2-3 months.

I do believe the UI of the timelines could use some improvements. And there should be plenty of examples of what exact dates should be entered. As it stands now, it's quite confusing whether one should be entering the date a filing is sent off or the date it was received or the notice date or the date it was received in your home mailbox. There should be detailed explanations--with concrete examples--of exactly what dates should be entered in each field. We need consistency of data.

These are my opinions. Others are free to disagree.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the origins of this website was the lack of processing time data available from USCIS at that time. The founder of this site purposely integrated timelines into the site in order to gather the 'true and accurate data' Sir Lancelot is hoping to get from his smaller sampling.

Statistically, of course, it's best to draw as wide a sampling as possible.

I fully believe the 'filer' threads have cropped up because members are not getting the data they want from Steve's original timeline charts. I'm hopeful some of the suggestions listed in this thread will be put into place so that new users will be able to find the information they seek without bothering themselves with the task. Being able to find that data easily will allow those users to concentrate on other aspects of their case. They will have more time to read other sections of the site, which will help them prepare for their next immigration steps.

I personally don't believe any of the information VJ seeks of members could be regarded as 'private'. I do though think it might be regarded as 'unfriendly' to force the completion of a timeline from new users. That decision, however, is up to Ewok. As data gathering was one of the original distinctions of this website from other user groups, I would encourage him to give it thoughtful consideration.

SirL, under the system, you'd be perfectly free to lie and check in 'I have not yet filed.'

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

SirL, under the system, you'd be perfectly free to lie and check in 'I have not yet filed.'

It is not the "I have not yet filed" field I'm concerned about. It's the mandatory imposition of forcing timelines onto members that I'm concerned about. One is equally--if not more so--likely to enter random data than select "I have not yet filed" to circumvent a mandatory questionnaire.

A voluntary system would yield much higher quality of data as people would be pro-actively seeking out the timeline system to input their data. I'm concerned about the quality of the data as well the quantity. It seems to me some are only concerned about the quantity. And I don't believe that's a desirable goal.

Ultimately, Caladan is correct in that members will still be free to enter random or false data, but with the proposed system, it will be forced upon people and it is that intrusion that, I believe, would introduce much more random/false data than is truly necessary or desired.

AOS I-485

I-751

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Okay. So we could add a check box that says 'I prefer not to share.' On the other hand, I think the timeline function is less intrusive, personal question wise, than, say, your signature is, in terms of information. But I think something that at least makes people go up and do something with the timeline will help.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Okay. So we could add a check box that says 'I prefer not to share.' On the other hand, I think the timeline function is less intrusive, personal question wise, than, say, your signature is, in terms of information. But I think something that at least makes people go up and do something with the timeline will help.

It's not clear if you're referring to my signature specifically or generally to everyone's signatures. If you're referring to my signature specifically, I am giving more info this time around--in applying AOS--than last time around--when I applied for I-129F. During the I-129F, I had an empty signature file as I didn't want others knowing my info. But for AOS, as my wife is already in the country, I'm more willing to share my info.

Actually, I do have an idea to propose. I think it would be more comforting to some privacy minded individuals to offer their timeline info for aggregated statistics purposes rather than for individual display for others. That is to say, I think some people won't mind as much if they knew their info wouldn't be available for anyone to peruse but would only be used in aggregate form.

Just my two cents worth. I think when constructing a system, it's important to take into account the desires of the end users who actually use the system rather than just the desires of the designer/engineer of the system. :)

AOS I-485

I-751

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

N-400

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Well, if a user doesn't want their personal data listed, there's no harm in that. Their names just wouldn't show up in the list. But their statistics would still be counted. Sounds like a good solution to me.

Either way, I don't see the difference in a 'thread manager' gathering data and Ewok gathering it insofar as privacy goes. At the present moment, the data is out there for all to see. If we are really concerned about privacy, the filer threads would need to be erased from the forums and made non-searchable, just as the timeline data is being filtered.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
I fully believe the 'filer' threads have cropped up because members are not getting the data they want from Steve's original timeline charts. I'm hopeful some of the suggestions listed in this thread will be put into place so that new users will be able to find the information they seek without bothering themselves with the task. Being able to find that data easily will allow those users to concentrate on other aspects of their case. They will have more time to read other sections of the site, which will help them prepare for their next immigration steps.

You know I think that no matter what there will always be 'filers thread' because it's not only the need to view quickly the latest updates on the process but also the need to chat with people who go through the same thing as the same time as you do, who share the same frustrations and joys, etc.

I do agree with Sir Lancelot that it would be nice to have a little help on what to fill. Like a '?' help mark somewhere telling you where to find the data you need to complete your timeline.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Good ideas everyone. I will be adding some of the ideas in the next week :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

You know I think that no matter what there will always be 'filers thread' because it's not only the need to view quickly the latest updates on the process but also the need to chat with people who go through the same thing as the same time as you do, who share the same frustrations and joys, etc.

I do agree with Sir Lancelot that it would be nice to have a little help on what to fill. Like a '?' help mark somewhere telling you where to find the data you need to complete your timeline.

I REALLY don't want to give the impression that I have a problem with the filer threads from the standpoint of sharing this 'marvelous' experience with our peers.

What I really do wish everyone could try to remember is this - we always HAVE had that atmosphere of support before we isolated ourselves into circles of people who 'filed' during a certain 30 day period. I hope people really don't feel a compelling need to draw their circle that tightly around them. We are all here to help, even if we aren't going through the exact same thing at the exact same moment.

We found friends on VJ years ago when it first formed. We really really did! If we didn't, many of us wouldn't still be here!

Edited by rebeccajo

Either way, I don't see the difference in a 'thread manager' gathering data and Ewok gathering it insofar as privacy goes. At the present moment, the data is out there for all to see. If we are really concerned about privacy, the filer threads would need to be erased from the forums and made non-searchable, just as the timeline data is being filtered.

Your point is valid. The data is out there as well when posted into "filer threads" but the filer threads at least are not mandatory. Anyone who doesn't want to share their info needn't post in the filer threads. Such is the case right now with the timeline as well and I'm fine with that, but a new system which would force a user to provide some info before being able to register or post, that's something I think may be problematic.

There are two very different issues here. I think you believe I'm somehow for "filer threads" as opposed to a timeline system inherently built into the website. I am not. I am opposed to a mandatory timeline system for privacy reasons. I am fine with a voluntary timeline system. I would be equally opposed to filer threads which would require any and every member on VJ to submit their info into those filer threads.

As for filer threads and their feel, I agree with what Cecy said. They have a kind of camaraderie atmosphere to them, in the same vein as a Class of 2007 or Class of 2008, which the timeline system of the website can never reproduce by itself.

I am not against the timeline system of the website at all. In fact, I have been very diligent of late in providing factual data into my timeline. But I will tell you outright that I do this because it's voluntary. If it was forced, I'd be much more apt to enter random data. I appreciate the timeline system built into the website. I just don't think it should be mandatory for everyone to fill it out. My only concern is with privacy and with faulty data, not with competition with filer threads.

One idea which may appease those who are against filer threads: I would be completely ok with posting some reminder messages in these filers threads from time to time to remind everyone to please fill out their timelines. I have nothing against that. Of any place on VJ, these filer threads will probably yield the most results when soliciting users to input data for their timelines.

AOS I-485

I-751

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

N-400

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

......As for filer threads and their feel, I agree with what Cecy said. They have a kind of camaraderie atmosphere to them, in the same vein as a Class of 2007 or Class of 2008, which the timeline system of the website can never reproduce by itself.........

.............One idea which may appease those who are against filer threads: I would be completely ok with posting some reminder messages in these filers threads from time to time to remind everyone to please fill out their timelines. I have nothing against that. Of any place on VJ, these filer threads will probably yield the most results when soliciting users to input data for their timelines.

I agree with you that a timeline system cannot create camaraderie. But I also don't believe filer threads create it, anymore than I agree Regional Forums create it.

Maybe it's the 'latent 60's hippie' in me, but I just really dislike 'segregation'. Life experience as well as VJ experience has taught me that I meet more interesting people and learn a lot more about everything if I reach outside of my comfort zone.

I kind of like the opinions of the 'classes' who went ahead of me, and those following me. Here and in my real life. I might not always like what I hear, but the insight is valuable if I allow it to sink it.

If the filer threads remain, the notation I would like to see to members is that they ask 'immigration related questions' outside of the thread so it can be read by all. By example, I mean a question about an RFE or a tidbit learned that helped them with their case. If 'monthly filers' really feel they get more satisfying social interaction in a smaller circle, so be it. But please share general knowledge and queries with the whole forum. More will benefit, IMO.

Filed: Timeline

Privacy about your timeline? Gimme a break. That is absolutely ridiculous. You need to submit private info in order to register to join the site - you do not have to put anything 'private' down for your timeline - initials will do.

VJ is a FREE site, with a wealth of information. It's hardly an invasion of privacy to submit anonymous data to help support the site you so freely use. :wacko:

Edited by devilette

I'm not sure, either, how dates are an invasion of privacy. I think as long as we give people a chance to 'opt out' of creating a timeline, then there's no issue with requiring it of members.

VJ is a hot bed of information - timelines as well as 'how do I do this' type of info. Why else would you sign up for such a site other than to gather information?

SA4userbar.jpg