Captain Ewok

Suggestions to improve the timeline system

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Some people are more concerned about 'privacy' than others, different people have different ideas about what information is an invasion of their privacy and what information is not. I personally don't see how showing a set of dates creates an invasion of privacy that could be harmful to a VJ member.

Opting out or opting in, either way means that there is no requirement. For VJ purposes I prefer that opt out be implemented to replace the current opt-in process because of the value of timeline information to both the individual and to others.

One thing that is burdensome is having 2 independent timelines - at least I believe they are independent - one in the Immigration Timelines section and another in the member's personal info area. Some people may fill out one or the other, some people may fill out both, some people may fill out neither. I think it would be helpful if a single entry form could be developed that would populate both timelines. As several posters have noted, some guidelines to promote consistency of what is wanted for the date entries would be helpful - using proper USCIS terminology that can be referenced as to specific meaning rather than 'VJ-speak' and personal paraphrasing that can mean different things to different people

In this thread I see a lot of discussion on the value of timelines for helping people to learn how long they might expect their own case to take. The other value is that the timeline in each member's personal info area can be useful for giving a meaningful response to a question that was poorly written or contains insufficient information. It can either clear up confusion about the posted question or can indicate apparent inconsistencies in the situation that need to be cleared up before a meaningful answer can be given.

Yodrak

I'm not sure, either, how dates are an invasion of privacy. I think as long as we give people a chance to 'opt out' of creating a timeline, then there's no issue with requiring it of members.

VJ is a hot bed of information - timelines as well as 'how do I do this' type of info. Why else would you sign up for such a site other than to gather information?

Edited by Yodrak

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I totally agree with Yodrak, make it mandatory with an option to opt it out, instead of having it there and so many people ignoring it.

I also do think entering dates in a timeline is not invasion of privacy, and when you come to a public site to ask help about your case, which is personal, if you are unwilling to give out certain info (the same info you enter into a timeline) it's usually hard to offer that help. A background to some extent is necessary.

I also agree that future dates shouldn't be allowed, especially since people enter those future dates and don't bother to fix them later, which gives innacurate statistics.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
I also agree that future dates shouldn't be allowed, especially since people enter those future dates and don't bother to fix them later, which gives innacurate statistics.

:yes:

:blink::rolleyes:

"Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office :

Date Filed : 2008-10-30 "

:thumbs:

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

"Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office :

Thanks for checking up on me, I'm aware of my timeline! :bonk:

LOC is a lot different than K1/K3/AOS, etc.

Edited by devilette

Timeline

"Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office :

LOL-it's still a future date on a timeline, no?

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

"Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office :

Sure is!

You get a :star: for your fabulous detective work. :wacko:

Timeline

"Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office :

Sure is!

Thanks , just trying to keep VJ's wealth of info accurate, and seeing as you agree that timelines should not contain future dates, you'll be needing to change your timeline, huh? ;)

I mean-unless you want to appear to be a " do as I say-not as I do......" type, then I'm just being helpful here, that's all. :)

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I went to check mine to make sure I didn't make the same mistake, as I can see that it'd be tempting to write down the window opening date for lifting of conditions. :P Glad to know I didn't so my comment stands. :P

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
I went to check mine to make sure I didn't make the same mistake, as I can see that it'd be tempting to write down the window opening date for lifting of conditions. :P Glad to know I didn't so my comment stands. :P

:lol:

I also agree with Yodrak, yourself, Devilette and any others that said future dates should not be on timelines, BTW.

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

The problem with LOC is it's 2 years out. VJ has become a place to store all my immigration data if you will. I do not have a calendar for 2008 yet so I put it here.

Since it doesn't affect anything timeline-wise as it needs 2 dates to be working, per Capn, why does it matter for LOC?

There are about 25 people who ave future LOC dates, so I am not alone.

The problem with future stats, as Luis&Laura pointed out, is potentially skewed stats.

How does someone keeping track of their LOC date skew statistics? (In the same way POE data would skew them, I suppose?)

I'm just trying to be helpful here and keep us all on task, that's all. :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Since it doesn't affect anything timeline-wise as it needs 2 dates to be working, per Capn, why does it matter for LOC?

By entering my LOC filing date, I do not skew stats.

Capn's words:

I was just looking through all of the timelines at the CSC for China. I see many , many, many timelines that have not been updated in a very long while. And the Members have not visited VJ in just as long.

How does keeping outdated, NOT-Updated, Forgotten Timelines affect the VJ Database?

It does not affect it. We ignore partial entries and only calculate dates when both the start and end date in the calculation are present. Partial entries do not affect the statistics either.

Edited by devilette

Filed: Other Timeline

"Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office :

Sure is!

Thanks , just trying to keep VJ's wealth of info accurate, and seeing as you agree that timelines should not contain future dates, you'll be needing to change your timeline, huh? ;)

I mean-unless you want to appear to be a " do as I say-not as I do......" type, then I'm just being helpful here, that's all. :)

Heaven forbid she do that. :wacko:

There are probably thousands of people who don't enter in timeline info, they're certainly even more not alone.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline
Opting out or opting in, either way means that there is no requirement. For VJ purposes I prefer that opt out be implemented to replace the current opt-in process because of the value of timeline information to both the individual and to others.

I would be ok with that if it's truly an either/or and have the opt-out option prominently displayed, not just some tiny font size disclaimer hidden at the very bottom.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony