okspider

Co-Sponsor Question

14 posts in this topic

I have a question. I am in a the k-1 visa process. I have a co-sponsor. It's my brother (and yes he knows what it means to be a co-sponsor and the responsibilities involved). I don't have a job right now. I haven't had a job in awhile. I am wanting to go back to Denmark and wait with my fiance' until our interview and stuff.

My question is this: If we have a co-sponsor even though I don't have a job it shouldn't be a problem for us to get approved correct? My brother (my co-sponsor) makes enough to sponsor like 6 people if he wanted. Also I do own a car worth about $5,000.00. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

But to sum that up. I am just wondering if me not having a job right now BUT ME HAVING A CO-SPONSOR. Will work just as well.

Visa Journey

04/20/2007 | I-129F Filed

03/15/2008 |Married!

AOS JOURNEY

04/25/2008 | AOS Filed/EAD Filed

09/11/2008 | Green Card Received *Sighs Relief*

03/15/2009| Happy 1 year wedding anniversary!

03/15/2010| Happy 2 years!

Removing Restrictions:

07/14/2010 | Biometrics for I-751

09/10/2010 | RFE

10/28/2010 | Interview in Cleveland *APPROVED*

Got Green Card. Done!

Married 6 years, March 15, 2014

As long as your brother meets the requirements, he'll be fine to sponsor your fiancee. There isn't a "co-sponsor" part per se - you'll have to fill out an individual I-134 for your brother.

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

As long as your brother meets the requirements, he'll be fine to sponsor your fiancee. There isn't a "co-sponsor" part per se - you'll have to fill out an individual I-134 for your brother.

Thanks!

Visa Journey

03/15/2008 |Married!

AOS JOURNEY

Removing Restrictions:

09/10/2010 | RFE

Got Green Card. Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You will be fine. My mom cosponsored for me and Ed bc i had just had our baby boy and was not working. She met the poverty line and we were approved just fine.

You will be ok :luv:

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
You will be fine. My mom cosponsored for me and Ed bc i had just had our baby boy and was not working. She met the poverty line and we were approved just fine.

Hi,

Since my fiancee in the US and I are in a similar situation (she is not working because 1 she is a full time college student, and 2 about to move and her step-dad is the cosponsor) I just wanted to ask if you still submitted an I-134 yourself. I read somewhere that the US fiancee has to be the primary sponsor, hence provide an I-134 as well.

Thanks,

Phil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

there's no problem i still dont have a job and i got approved on my I-129F and i am here in the U.S

but still looking for a job lol, well my spouse was my sponsor with no problem.

good luck

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Hi,

Since my fiancee in the US and I are in a similar situation (she is not working because 1 she is a full time college student, and 2 about to move and her step-dad is the cosponsor) I just wanted to ask if you still submitted an I-134 yourself. I read somewhere that the US fiancee has to be the primary sponsor, hence provide an I-134 as well.

Thanks,

Phil

The USC is not required to be the primary sponsor.

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

Phil

You sure about that one? So you only need one sponsor who meets the poverty line to fill out the I-134 and everything. And is there any way to show some means of sponsoring from sources other than from US citizens or residents? From family back in Germany in my case for example?

Hi,

Thanks,

Phil

You sure about that one? So you only need one sponsor who meets the poverty line to fill out the I-134 and everything. And is there any way to show some means of sponsoring from sources other than from US citizens or residents? From family back in Germany in my case for example?

I am not sure they are right because from what I have been reading the USC HAS to be the main sponsor. That doesn't mean that they have to be the only sponsor or the one with the money. But from what I understand the USC has to be a sponsor even if you need a co-sponsor. I e-mailed the Danish Embassy (which it might be different for every country) But they said that I had to fill it out too AND my co-sponsor. Even if I have no income.

Edited by okspider

Visa Journey

03/15/2008 |Married!

AOS JOURNEY

Removing Restrictions:

09/10/2010 | RFE

Got Green Card. Done!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

Phil

I am not sure they are right because from what I have been reading the USC HAS to be the main sponsor. That doesn't mean that they have to be the only sponsor or the one with the money. But from what I understand the USC has to be a sponsor even if you need a co-sponsor. I e-mailed the Danish Embassy (which it might be different for every country) But they said that I had to fill it out too AND my co-sponsor. Even if I have no income.

I've read that, too.

To the OP: I am currently a full time student and even though I do have a part-time job it isn't nearly enough to meet 125% of the poverty level. I am going to submit my information, even though it won't make the cutoff, but I'm also going to submit that of my co-sponsor, who does, with the help of real estate/assets, meet the requirement. I haven't been approved yet, but hopefully that will be enough.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Does someone else want to clarify this, in case I've erred? I'm pretty sure that the USC doesn't have to be the sponsor, but perhaps each consulate is different. ^_^

My presumption was that the I-134 was to be filled out by the person who was sponsoring the non-USC, and therefore it wouldn't be so much a "co-sponsor" as just a regular sponsor. While the USC is normally the first person to be the sponsor of the non-USC, I haven't read any documentation that requires that he/she fill out an I-134 even if the requirements aren't met.

Edited by Nini & Bee

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Does someone else want to clarify this, in case I've erred? I'm pretty sure that the USC doesn't have to be the sponsor, but perhaps each consulate is different. ^_^

My presumption was that the I-134 was to be filled out by the person who was sponsoring the non-USC, and therefore it wouldn't be so much a "co-sponsor" as just a regular sponsor. While the USC is normally the first person to be the sponsor of the non-USC, I haven't read any documentation that requires that he/she fill out an I-134 even if the requirements aren't met.

The USC has to fill out the paperwork as well - I think it's more to show why a co sponsor is needed, but I'm not sure. Same with AOS, I had to fill out an I-864 even though I wasn't even close to the poverty level required for the two of us, so my mom had to fill out a second one as she was the one with the goods the USCIS needed to satisfy their requirements.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks,

Phil

Yes, i still had to submitt the I-134. But not having income on there didnt hurt me bc i had the co-sponsor, and in my intent to marry letter i had it all in there about why i wasnt working bc it was in there about me just giving birth to our son. weather they read it or not, i still had to file the I-134

To clear things, even tho you have a cosponsor, you still have to file the I-134, you are the sponsor, the cosposor is just helping you. You still have to file the I-134

Edited by Ionescu

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Other Timeline

Depends on the consulate.

In the UK, the petitioner does not need to file I134 if another sponsor is forthcoming.

Some consulates don't even use the I134.

Each person should research their own consulates requirements. The OP did the correct thing when he contacted the Danish consulate and should follow their instructions.

Later on (and not long after US entry in most cases) the beneficiary will become a petitioner to adjust status. At that time (in family based cases) the original petitioner MUST be the sponsor and complete for I864. A joint sponsor (if required) completes an I864 of their own.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.