6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, I just got sworn in and now have my citizenship certificate. I’m planning to travel to the Philippines this first week of Dec.  I was advised by the hotline of travel.state.gov to file in a facility first for my passport then if they’re not yet within two weeks before my flight, to call them back for an appointment at Miami Passport agency: 

- have any of you done this recently, how did it go?

- I asked them what happens just in case even with the urgent travel expedited passport appointment in Miami or any other agency, that the US passport is not ready before the flight date? They couldn’t answer. Can I use my Phil passport?

- any tips on the route I’m planning to take? Which is facility application first (clerk of county) then call for appt for urgent travel process in Miami. (can’t set an appt earlier than 2 weeks before flight)

thanks sooooo much to all of you 😊😊😊

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Do the Philippines allow dual citizenship? If you're still a citizen of your home country, you should be able to use that passport. I think the trouble is when you come back to the U.S. When you come back to the U.S., you will have to use your U.S. passport even if you have another passport; that's what I've read recently and heard from other people I know. I wonder if you can get your U.S. passport at an U.S. embassy in the Philippines. 

But with expeditated passport application, I'd think you will get your U.S. passport on time.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you so much @Coleman21😊 I’m not dual yet, but I still have my Philippine passport. I’ve already filed for my US passport with my local county clerk. I’m just worried about the timeframe. So that means I can use my Philippine passport to fly to the Philippines from the US, BUT I have to make sure I have my US passport when I fly back to the US. At least I know now that have the option to maybe have my US passport mailed to me while I’m in the Philippines. Just in case it doesn’t get to me here in the US, in time before my flight. Thank you again!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
4 hours ago, Manileña Heart said:

Thank you so much @Coleman21😊 I’m not dual yet, but I still have my Philippine passport. I’ve already filed for my US passport with my local county clerk. I’m just worried about the timeframe. So that means I can use my Philippine passport to fly to the Philippines from the US, BUT I have to make sure I have my US passport when I fly back to the US. At least I know now that have the option to maybe have my US passport mailed to me while I’m in the Philippines. Just in case it doesn’t get to me here in the US, in time before my flight. Thank you again!!

How come you are not dual yet? If you were sworn.. then you are a US citizen. Aren't you a citizen of the Philippines already?

Also:

> So that means I can use my Philippine passport to fly to the Philippines from the US

Technically (ie legally) you have to depart with a US passport, if you are a citizen (does not matter if you are a citizen of 10 other countries, too).

In practice, they do not check. So you show the TSA officer/airline your Philippino passport + they let you board (there is a small chance USCIS is conducting extra checks - I read it happens in Miami periodically. In that case... all bets are off - they may not let you board the plane. But you have to be REALLY unlucky. Also, if they catch you, they cannot punish you - there is no penalty for violating this law. At most you do not board the plane).

> BUT I have to make sure I have my US passport when I fly back to the US.

The airline will likely not let you board the plane (when flying back) without a US passport. However, if you can somehow make it to the border (either at an airport - by persuading the airline to let you fly, or land border - Canada/Mexico - or some port, if you come by boat), AND can persuade the immigration officer you are indeed a US citizen (eg via a copy/picture/... of the naturalization certificate/social security number... basically whatever evidence you have), you cannot be denied entry. The hard part is making it to the border.

You can also apply for an emergency passport w/ the US Embassy in Manila (this is typically issued in 1-2 days. It is of limited duration - basically just to get you back). Or you can apply, in Manila, for a real passport + hope to get it fast (I got mine, from another US embassy, in 9 days).

Edited by harry.st

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2023 at 5:54 PM, Manileña Heart said:

Can I use my Phil passport?

Under Philippine law, your PH passport was voided when you took your US oath.  You may go through the PH citizenship re-acquisition process, then apply for a new PH passport.  From https://newyorkpcg.org/pcgny/faqs/#dual-citizen-faq --

I still have a valid Philippine passport, which I renewed before I got naturalized as a US citizen. Now that I have retained/reacquired my Philippine citizenship, can I still use this passport?

No, your old Philippine passport was rendered null and void the moment you were naturalized as a US citizen. You must surrender it to the Consulate for cancellation. You are, however, eligible to apply for a new Philippine passport upon the successful retention/reacquisition of your Philippine citizenship.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:46 PM, Coleman21 said:

Do the Philippines allow dual citizenship? If you're still a citizen of your home country, you should be able to use that passport.

On 10/28/2023 at 5:52 PM, harry.st said:

How come you are not dual yet? If you were sworn.. then you are a US citizen. Aren't you a citizen of the Philippines already?

The Philippines allows dual citizenship, but it is not automatic.  A Filipino loses their PH citizenship the moment they take the US oath, rendering their old PH passport invalid.  They will need to go through the citizenship re-acquisition process and apply for a new passport.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
On 12/1/2023 at 10:31 PM, Chancy said:

The Philippines allows dual citizenship, but it is not automatic.  A Filipino loses their PH citizenship the moment they take the US oath, rendering their old PH passport invalid.  They will need to go through the citizenship re-acquisition process and apply for a new passport.

I understand that Spain does the same. What a waste of everybody's time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.