CM&ST

Police Certificate - Required Documents?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, me and my fiance are near the end of the K-1 process. In August, he tried to get a Police Certificate but was told by the police that he needed a "Notice of Action" from the embassy, and then showed him an example document. At this time we hadn't completed the DS-160. Since then, we have completed everything and have an interview date scheduled. We have not, however, received any notice from the embassy. 

Does anyone have any experience with this process? Should we expect a form from the embassy, or will he have to reach out to them? I couldn't find any information about this and the embassy instructions don't mention this as far as I can tell. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

NoA you'd have received from USCIS, the first one when you filed, the second one when the I-129F was approved.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

4 hours ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

NoA you'd have received from USCIS, the first one when you filed, the second one when the I-129F was approved.

I had considered this already, and spoke to my fiance again. I showed him our NOA2 and that's not the document that he was shown by the police when he went in person. The document they showed should include our NVC-generated case number (BNK prefix) which NOA1/2 would not have. He says they told him this would be coming from the embassy itself. 

I'm not sure if they gave him bad information though. Has anyone else had to go through this in Thailand specifically?

10 hours ago, CM&ST said:

I had considered this already, and spoke to my fiance again. I showed him our NOA2 and that's not the document that he was shown by the police when he went in person. The document they showed should include our NVC-generated case number (BNK prefix) which NOA1/2 would not have. He says they told him this would be coming from the embassy itself. 

I'm not sure if they gave him bad information though. Has anyone else had to go through this in Thailand specifically?

It's been a few years since we did it, but I believe we just needed the NOA2 to get the police certificate; but it may have changed since then.  The USCIS should have also sent an email with an attachment that the I-129F has been forwarded to the US Embassy and mine does have the case number (BNK) as well as other stuff.  This should have been sent around the NOA2 timeframe.  Maybe that is the letter he needs.  It should have been emailed to you or him; mine was sent from nvc-do-not-reply@state.gov.

Otherwise, you may want to look over: https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/ and https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/news/REQUIREDDOCUMENTS(ApplyinpersonforapplicantresidinginThailand)_25.html

FYI, the email letter looked similar to what they had: 

Edited by Madao
Added more info

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We just went through this step.  Yes, you'll need the K1-FTP (They might call this a "NOA" or "NOA3".   Ours had been emailed to us from the embassy in Bangkok.

I couldn't find an English copy, but the documentation requirements should be here: https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/news/REQUIREDDOCUMENTS(ApplyinpersonforapplicantresidinginThailand)_25.html

Note:

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/   >  Open file "Obtaining a Thai Police Certificate (Thai/English)     Step 1 of the PDF file directs you to https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/   and then, finally https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/news/REQUIREDDOCUMENTS(ApplyinpersonforapplicantresidinginThailand)_25.html

Also note: If you are at all worried that your police clearance certificate will not be completed before your interview date, you can request and pay for it to be expedited. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much.

31 minutes ago, Stook said:

We just went through this step.  Yes, you'll need the K1-FTP (They might call this a "NOA" or "NOA3".   Ours had been emailed to us from the embassy in Bangkok.

I couldn't find an English copy, but the documentation requirements should be here: https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/news/REQUIREDDOCUMENTS(ApplyinpersonforapplicantresidinginThailand)_25.html

Note:

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/packets/   >  Open file "Obtaining a Thai Police Certificate (Thai/English)     Step 1 of the PDF file directs you to https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/   and then, finally https://pcscenter.sbpolice.go.th/news/REQUIREDDOCUMENTS(ApplyinpersonforapplicantresidinginThailand)_25.html

Also note: If you are at all worried that your police clearance certificate will not be completed before your interview date, you can request and pay for it to be expedited. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much.

Thanks! We had actually decided to try the K1-FTP right before this reply so it's nice to have some confirmation. My fiance will be filing for it on Friday. His interview date isn't until December 12th, so we should have time assuming it doesn't take two months. How long did it take to receive yours?

Timeline

Her police certificate was ready in 1 week, but we had expedited it, since her Visa interview was only a few weeks away.

By the  way, make sure your Thai fiancee has his "single status / marriage status" document. It will be needed at the visa interview.

My fiancee said there were a lot of other people getting rejections, because they were lacking necessary documentation at their interviews. Fortunately, we had everything in order and should have the visas within 10 days.

We had our interview in Bangkok today. We had ALL documents. But they wanted her ORIGINAL Thai birth certificate - not the translated one . So she has to go back to her hometown to get one mailed to the embassy. The embassy kept her passport, so I assume that’s a good sign.

Still, I’m very mad that they made her do this as the list specifically says translated version.

Timeline

My lady mentioned that several people at the interview appointment were missing required documents. 

You can only be mad at yourself. The listed does NOT say only translated version. It specifically says "Original and copy and translated copy", several times....

My lady says you can get the Birth Certificate and Single-Status papers from Bangkok.

Birth Certificate: Original and copy. You and each family member immigrating with you must obtain an original birth certificate or certified copy. If you were born outside of Thailand, please see the Reciprocity Schedule for information about how to request a birth certificate. Please place the English translation of this document on top of the original. o If an official Thai birth certificate is not obtainable, you should submit a Certificate of Birthplace (original and copy).

Delays suck, reading carefully is important to avoid them.  I'm sure you'll get your approval soon

Edited by Stook

Timeline
On 10/6/2023 at 12:15 AM, Stook said:

My lady mentioned that several people at the interview appointment were missing required documents. 

You can only be mad at yourself. The listed does NOT say only translated version. It specifically says "Original and copy and translated copy", several times....

My lady says you can get the Birth Certificate and Single-Status papers from Bangkok.

Birth Certificate: Original and copy. You and each family member immigrating with you must obtain an original birth certificate or certified copy. If you were born outside of Thailand, please see the Reciprocity Schedule for information about how to request a birth certificate. Please place the English translation of this document on top of the original. o If an official Thai birth certificate is not obtainable, you should submit a Certificate of Birthplace (original and copy).

Delays suck, reading carefully is important to avoid them.  I'm sure you'll get your approval soon

Correction: birth cert you can get in Bangkok. Single-status paper has to come from her hometown.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.