linzzee

Social Security Number

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi

I have just found out that to apply for a marriage licence in South Carolina you need a SSN. From what I have read on here the advice is not to apply for at least 2 weeks after you arrive. I arrive on 23rd August and am getting married on 15th September. Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience of this???

I can't believe this #######!!

My fiance has phoned the marriage licence place and they yes I will definitely need a SSN. :help:

Hi

I have just found out that to apply for a marriage licence in South Carolina you need a SSN. From what I have read on here the advice is not to apply for at least 2 weeks after you arrive. I arrive on 23rd August and am getting married on 15th September. Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience of this???

My fiance has phoned the marriage licence place and they yes I will definitely need a SSN. :help:

Get them to double check that fact. We had the same problem in Fl, and when they checked, the SSN was not required.

I just did a quick search and found this...

SECTION 20-1-220.

The application must be signed by both of the contracting parties and shall contain the same information as required for the issuing of the license including the social security numbers, or the alien identification numbers assigned to resident aliens who do not have social security numbers, of the contracting parties

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t20c001.htm

Real love stories never have endings...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Get them to double check that fact. We had the same problem in Fl, and when they checked, the SSN was not required.

SECTION 20-1-220.

The application must be signed by both of the contracting parties and shall contain the same information as required for the issuing of the license including the social security numbers, or the alien identification numbers assigned to resident aliens who do not have social security numbers, of the contracting parties

Good find :thumbs:

No way to speed up how long it takes USCIS after passing through POE to update the database , used by SSA to confirm your eligible to get an SSN.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
Hi

SECTION 20-1-220.

Thank you so much for that info. Sorry, one more question, when do you get your alien identification number?

Thank you so much for that info. Sorry, one more question, when do you get your alien identification number?

You're welcome. It should be on your NOA2

Real love stories never have endings...

Timeline
Called your A#

NOA2 from I-129F

NOA2.jpg

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline

Thank you both for your help. My fiance has phoned again and they are adament that I will need a SSN. I can't believe that this sort of thing is allowed to happen since there are so many people who arrive on a K1. I keep imagining that we are gonna have to go to a different state to get married before and then have the wedding on 15th September with all our guests. I just hope it doesn't come to that. :(

Timeline
Thank you both for your help. My fiance has phoned again and they are adament that I will need a SSN. I can't believe that this sort of thing is allowed to happen since there are so many people who arrive on a K1. I keep imagining that we are gonna have to go to a different state to get married before and then have the wedding on 15th September with all our guests. I just hope it doesn't come to that. :(

It is a federal law that both parties in a marriage should have SSN, though it is up to the various states how strictly they adhere to that law, most states only require that the US Citizen have a SSN.

This is why K-1s are considered "work authorized" so that the SSA will issue SSN to K-1, specifically for that federal requirement for marriage.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My husband and I got married in Austin, TX and he was not required to have a SSN. It took us all of 30 minutes to get a marriage license here in Travis County.

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Timeline
My husband and I got married in Austin, TX and he was not required to have a SSN. It took us all of 30 minutes to get a marriage license here in Travis County.
Texas is a different state than South Carolina, as I said most states only require an SSN from the US Citizen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you show them the written statute??? It's quite clear that SSN is NOT the only acceptable ID.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Show up to the county clerk's office with a print-out of the code of laws along with something from USCIS with the A# on it (if not on the K1).

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

North Carolina also allows marriage licenses to be issued without a SSN#.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
It is a federal law that both parties in a marriage should have SSN

It is? Do you have a link to that particular law?

Did you show them the written statute??? It's quite clear that SSN is NOT the only acceptable ID.

Warm Regards,

Samby

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/na...0,5899535.story

Title 42, 666 (a)(13)(A)

666. Requirement of statutorily prescribed procedures to improve effectiveness of child support enforcement

(a ) Types of procedures required

(13 ) Recording of social security numbers in certain family matters.— Procedures requiring that the social security number of—

(A ) any applicant for a professional license, driver’s license, occupational license, recreational license, or marriage license be recorded on the application;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/d...66----000-.html Edited by YuAndDan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.