Jenn!

Obesity Map

48 posts in this topic

Other two things in addition to HFCS would be the amount of exercise and the plate or portion sizes ..

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'd like to see the map played with the different definitions of obesity (body fat vs. BMI) taken into account, and to see how it tracks with things like factory closures and high-fructose corn syrup replacing sugar as a sweetener.

Yep. There are so many factors. With schools, for example, many have cut out or greatly minimized PE from their curriculum, but my hunch is that dietary change is the biggest factor.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i put on about 30 to 40 lbs in about 9 months after moving to the US....

i didn't eat like a pig or anything but I think one of the main factors of the weight gain was eating out..... i ate out a lot more then I did back in Canada...

and probably all the high fructose syrup that is in everything... :P

I haven't gain any weight since then though but I haven't lost any either ......

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I lost about 15 lbs when I moved to Italy. And believe me, I ate what I wanted!

Gained about 10 of it back when I moved back to the U.S., again not changing eating habits.

I fully believe there's something in the food, and HFCS does fit the bill!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
(UKC) myself....i wonder what it would show for brits Hmmm but i sure am glad my waistline has shrunk ......... lost 27lbs so far over the past 7 weeks :dance:

only 10 lbs to go till i reach my target weight :D

Congratulations!!!

I guess we're not going to be going out to eat as much, but OMG the food is good down there :innocent:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: Timeline

According to the BMI standards, you are considered overweight if your BMI is 30 or higher.

A 5'4" person is consdiered overweight at 175 lb

Calculate your BMI here : Clicky

I lost weight since i moved to America mainly because I don't like what I get to eat outside and at parties. I cook a lot so it meets my personal standards but since I don't always have time to cook I just don't eat or snack on fruits or sandwiches. I found that Mexican groceries have imported juices/sodas that don't contain high fructose corn syrup but "azucares", real sugar.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I lost about 15 lbs when I moved to Italy. And believe me, I ate what I wanted!

Gained about 10 of it back when I moved back to the U.S., again not changing eating habits.

I fully believe there's something in the food, and HFCS does fit the bill!

...and the only way to avoid it is to stop eating at most restaurants and read every label...it's in everything now.

According to the BMI standards, you are considered overweight if your BMI is 30 or higher.

I lost weight since i moved to America mainly because I don't like what I get to eat outside and at parties. I cook a lot so it meets my personal standards but since I don't always have time to cook I just don't eat or snack on fruits or sandwiches. I found that Mexican groceries have imported juices/sodas that don't contain high fructose corn syrup but "azucares", real sugar.

Obesity is 30 or higher. Being overweight starts at 25.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

BMI is not very accurate. There are regional variations, not everyone is going to have the same healthy weight range. Also someone who has low body fat but very good muscle tone, can score pretty high on the BMI scale.

But in general, weight has little to do with how healthy someone will be. That depends on their diet and lifestyle. An overweight person who exercises is probably going to be more healthy than a skinny person who doesn't.

But of course, there are people making money off of making people thing they are too fat. Everyone from diet food companies to pharmaceutical companies.

keTiiDCjGVo

oops... This is what I meant :unsure:

Though I do think the 'My BMI is high because I'm muscular' excuse is often used by too many obvious couch potatoes. If you're not working out, it ain't the BMI that's wrong.

oops... This is what I meant :unsure:

Yeah, figured. Sorry if I came across a little terse. :)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

were over weight of couse. they inject steriods in our cows to make them grow quicker so im sure that steriod is passed on to us thru meat and oils and of course we will grow faster too.

there is something my husband said about that bmi thing. he doesnt agree with it. i think its like if u are a body builder and have alot of musles that throws that off. i think something like if u have alot of musle weight and use the calculators it gives u a wrong bmi cuz ur not actually overweight in fat so if ur not fatty then how are u obese?

i dont know how to explain it. i guess if ur weight is lean body mass like musle then ur weight is musle weight and not fat so u can not be obese.

ok...forget it i dont know how to explain. i know what he means but i dont ow how to word it.

You can blame HFCS but people are plain lazy & portions are giant.

Cheesecake Factory is one example. When I was a kid, there were no Super Size portions. Even now, hubby & I often split portions of stuff. You don't need to eat it all! I can't stand that ad on McD's here - a 42 oz. coke for .69! WHO NEEDS A BUCKET OF SODA?

Hubby was saying how when he was a kid in England, he used to go ride his bike, and we did too in NY/OH. Now everyone is online & doing nada physical stuff.

Edited by devilette

Take a look at: http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/01862/...4/celebbmi.html

Many celebrities are according to BMI, overweight. How many of them look overweight to you? Do you consider Arnold Schwarzenegger obese?

keTiiDCjGVo