CFS

Documents Received Back After Visa Issuance Post-221(g)? + Wait Time for Stamped Passport

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

It seems like my spouse's visa has been approved based on the screen shot below:

I have a few questions:

1. For those who went through the 221(g) process - did you receive all the additional documents you submitted back along with the stamped passport? I'm asking because we'll need some of these documents (e.g. CENOMAR, NBI Clearance) for the GCP Seminar
  2. How long did it take for you to receive your passport back? My spouse is Manila-based

Thanks!!

Capture.JPG

Edited by CFS

• CFS changed the title to Documents Received Back After Visa Issuance Post-221(g)? + Wait Time for Stamped Passport
On 9/25/2023 at 1:07 AM, CFS said:
  • For those who went through the 221(g) process - did you receive all the additional documents you submitted back along with the stamped passport? I'm asking because we'll need some of these documents (e.g. CENOMAR, NBI Clearance) for the GCP Seminar
  • How long did it take for you to receive your passport back? My spouse is Manila-based

Congratulations!!!

Passports have been going from "Issued" to delivered in 3-5 business days in Manila lately.  They are generally being quite fast.   I believe the documents come back separately (?) but CFO would take copies anyways and doesn't need NBI Clearance, or Cenomar if you have a Philippine Marriage Certificate or ROM.  Mainly CFO just wants copies of the visa, marriage certificate or ROM, your passport and her passport.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

24 minutes ago, top_secret said:

Congratulations!!!

Passports have been going from "Issued" to delivered in 3-5 business days in Manila lately.  They are generally being quite fast.   I believe the documents come back separately (?) but CFO would take copies anyways and doesn't need NBI Clearance, or Cenomar if you have a Philippine Marriage Certificate or ROM.  Mainly CFO just wants copies of the visa, marriage certificate or ROM, your passport and her passport.

Thank you! Yes, I can validate the part about the turnaround times - we are getting the passport back via LBC on Thursday Sep. 28 (and CEAC showed the visa as "Issued" on Sep. 25). 

Based on what you said, we will need the CENOMAR/NBI Clearance because we cannot get a ROM (see my other posts - it's not possible/required in our case). @top_secret - how certain are you that 1) they send the documents back separately and 2) that the CFO accepts copies?

Edited by CFS

6 minutes ago, CFS said:

Thank you! Yes, I can validate the part about the turnaround times - we are getting the passport back via LBC on Thursday Sep. 28 (and CEAC showed the visa as "Issued" on Sep. 25). 

Based on what you said, we will need the CENOMAR/NBI Clearance because we cannot get a ROM (see my other posts - it's not possible/required in our case). @top_secret - how certain are you that 1) they send the documents back separately and 2) that the CFO accepts copies?

OK, wow - the CFO e-mailed me back literally 2 minutes after I asked them #2. You're right - copies are accepted and thus #1 is a moot point. Thanks!

12 hours ago, CFS said:

OK, wow - the CFO e-mailed me back literally 2 minutes after I asked them #2. You're right - copies are accepted and thus #1 is a moot point. Thanks!

Update - we actually got the passport with the stamped visa back today. So it was 2 days after we saw the "Issued" status on the CEAC site.

I'm amazed that the Embassy did not provide any further instructions regarding the PDOS/GCP. Thankfully, we knew about these requirements from reading about them on this forum....but how do the vast majority of people who 1) aren't on this site and 2) aren't working with an immigration lawyer know about this stuff? I'm literally thinking of people booking their flights and being stopped at immigration because of this 😬

Anyway...some more updates/questions:

1. The Embassy did not send back a physical packet containing the medical results. Instead, the visa reads "IV Docs in CCD", which apparently means that they will check the medical results virtually. I found an older thread in this site that talked about this too. I would just like to triple check (since there have been so many surprises) - should my spouse bring anything else besides the passport (with the immigrant visa & GCP stamp) to immigration besides this?
  2. Are there any other "gotchas/hard lessons" learned from anyone regarding the GCP process, exit from Manila, or entry into the U.S.? Again, given everything that's happened, we are super wary about unexpected surprises that can cause delays. Any inputs would be appreciated - thanks!

23 hours ago, CFS said:

I'm amazed that the Embassy did not provide any further instructions regarding the PDOS/GCP.

They do, actually -- under the section for "After The Interview" at https://ph.usembassy.gov/important-visa-information/

"Philippine law requires all departing Filipino emigrants or those leaving the country to settle permanently abroad to attend the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO).  Only emigrants aged 12 years and younger are exempted from attending the PDOS.  This is not a U.S. Government requirement.  This information is provided solely as a courtesy to visa applicants."

Also, applicants with issued IVs typically get an email from USEM notifying them that the visa is ready for delivery/pick-up.  That email should have a PDF attachment "MIV (Instructions)" which mentions CFO.

7 minutes ago, Chancy said:

They do, actually -- under the section for "After The Interview" at https://ph.usembassy.gov/important-visa-information/

"Philippine law requires all departing Filipino emigrants or those leaving the country to settle permanently abroad to attend the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO).  Only emigrants aged 12 years and younger are exempted from attending the PDOS.  This is not a U.S. Government requirement.  This information is provided solely as a courtesy to visa applicants."

Also, applicants with issued IVs typically get an email from USEM notifying them that the visa is ready for delivery/pick-up.  That email should have a PDF attachment "MIV (Instructions)" which mentions CFO.

Thank you, Chancy. We unfortunately did not receive such an e-mail 😕 but I appreciate your help!!

4 minutes ago, CFS said:

Was there anything unexpected/unusual about the GCP interview (if you had to go through that)?

Unlike you, ROM was required in my case.  The CFO counselor gave me grief over not having ROM, but eventually issued my certificate.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:31 AM, CFS said:

Are there any other "gotchas/hard lessons" learned from anyone regarding the GCP process, exit from Manila, or entry into the U.S.? Again, given everything that's happened, we are super wary about unexpected surprises that can cause delays. Any inputs would be appreciated - thanks!

I don't think you will have any problems with CFO.

P1620 travel tax at the airport catches some by surprize when they go to check in without it.🤣

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

6 minutes ago, top_secret said:

P1620 travel tax at the airport catches some by surprize when they go to check in without it.🤣

Thank you for letting me know! Another surprise! Is it this only payable via cash?

On 9/28/2023 at 3:02 PM, top_secret said:

@top_secret - thanks! You were totally right - the CFO/GCP process was very straightforward. They only asked:

• How did we meet?
  • For photos of the wedding
  • For photos of us with our family members 

I appreciate all your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.