LucindaLou

APO Address

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello VJ-Community,

I have a quick question, is an APO address considered to be an American address or does my husband have to establish domicile in the US. We are currently both living in Germany, but he is still fully integrated in the American system as he is here through the SOFA agreement based on his job. Do we need to do anything in particular to establish domicile.

We have an American address that we are currently using for immigration purposes, but naturally he can't live in 2 places at once.

Timeline

The APO is usually just a temporary address used as long as he's staying in Germany. Use his real address in the US to establish domicile along with some other evidence like government orders, real estade paid taxes, utiliy bills, rental agreement, rental fees or whatever shows that he is still maintainig a domicile in the US. This along with a short cover letter worked perfectly for us.

Here is our cover page:

Mikey Mouse

CMR 999, Box 999

APO AE 12345

September 23, 2023

National Visa Center

RE:     I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support

NVC Case No: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Applicant:      Mikey Mouse

Beneficiary:   Minni Mouse

To Whom It May Concern:

I am currently stationed in Germany under Army Permanent Change of Station orders.  I have maintained my primary residence on Mars, Solar System, where we will live after my spouse’s immigration is complete or at the completion of my Army tour.

I am submitting additional documents supporting my domicile claim, temporary nature of my tour in Germany and intention to live permanently in the United States. Attached please find the following documents:

• Government Orders/Approved Tour Extension
  • Rental Management Lease Agreement
  • Real Estate 2022 paid taxes

If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (555) 555-5555.  Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

Mikey Mouse

Edited by Volli

Timeline

The problem we have is that he has a home of record address that has been sold by his parents, he lived in Germany since 2007 as a government employee. We can use the address of our friends where we will first stay for the time being. We also own a house in Huntsville, AL which is rented. 

He is currently applying for jobs, but does not have one yet. As a last resort he would take a transfer for his current job, but that cannot be done 3 months in advance. So there will be no orders. 

Am a bit stumped as to what to give to them 😞

Edited by LucindaLou

Timeline

Just give them exactly what you are most likely planning to do when you guys are returning to the US. I don't think they are so picky especially when he's just on temporary duty in Germany. So just tell them the truth and if the future plan is not 100% set yet, tell them anyway. What else are you supposed to do?

Timeline

Thanks for the help anyways! I think I need 3 weeks of holidays in the Caribbean once I finished this paperwork. Military life does not make NVC applications too pleasant 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

We used our APO address on some of our communication. The filing documents differentiate between physical and mailing address, if this helps. For my kiddos n-600 package, we used our APO address but USCIS changed it to a family address in the US. Not sure why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.