Mardy

employment while AOS is processed ?

11 posts in this topic

my visa expires on sept. 2, so does this mean that I am not allowed to work until I received my EAD? Even if I already have my SSN ?

Finally I'm a 🇺🇸 Citizen!!  

06/10/2008- GC

02/28/2017- N-400 sent!

03/02/2017- Received

03/07/2017- Cashed

03/07/2017- NOA

03/30/2017- Biometrics

04/03/2017- in line for interview 

08/21/2017- Notice for interview  

08/25/2017- Received letter for interview date

09/26/2017- INTERVIEW!! (PASSED!!)

09/29/2017- OATH TAKING CEREMONY

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your work authorization expires you are not suppose to work. A SSN in NOT a substitute for valid work authorization.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your visa expired they day you entered the USA, K-1 is a single use visa.

What is the expiration date on your I-94 card? That is the last day you can work if you got temp EAD stamp, after that you need regular EAD, applied for with AOS or after applying for AOS in order to continue to work legally with DHS permission.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It is true that the K1 is a "single use visa" in a way that you can enter the USA on that particular visa only once.

However, you are wrong when you say it expires the day you enter the USA. That is not the case. The K1 has a specific expiration date: 180 days from the day the visa was issued.

K1 visa holders come to the US to marry a US citizen (within 90 days of arrival) and that is only possible on a valid and unexpired K1 visa.

Timeline

It is true that the K1 is a "single use visa" in a way that you can enter the USA on that particular visa only once.

However, you are wrong when you say it expires the day you enter the USA. That is not the case. The K1 has a specific expiration date: 180 days from the day the visa was issued.

K1 visa holders come to the US to marry a US citizen (within 90 days of arrival) and that is only possible on a valid and unexpired K1 visa.

Unfortunately what you said is incorrect. There are two seperate and distinct "clocks" as it relates to a K-1 visa. The first is the visa expiration clock which requires you to present yourself at the border to request entry (6 mos.) and the second is the marriage to your USC petitioner (not just any USC) clock (90 days). Do not confuse the two, as they are not dependant on each other.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Unfortunately what you said is incorrect. There are two seperate and distinct "clocks" as it relates to a K-1 visa. The first is the visa expiration clock which requires you to present yourself at the border to request entry (6 mos.) and the second is the marriage to your USC petitioner (not just any USC) clock (90 days). Do not confuse the two, as they are not dependant on each other.

I am aware of the two "clocks" that you mentioned.

I still believe though that it is incorrect to say that the visa expires on arrival day. With a K1 visa you maintain legal status while in the US for as long as the visa is valid - which is 180 days. Whether you get married within 90 days of arrival or not, you still have the option to remain in the country until expiration date. You are allowed to stay in the country as long as the K1 is unexpired.

Am I still interpreting it wrong?

If so, I'm willing to learn.

Edited by ChristinaH

Timeline

I still believe though that it is incorrect to say that the visa expires on arrival day. With a K1 visa you maintain legal status while in the US for as long as the visa is valid - which is 180 days. Whether you get married within 90 days of arrival or not, you still have the option to remain in the country until expiration date. You are allowed stay in the country as long as the visa is unexpired.

Yes you are interpreting wrong... The visa is a document that simply grants you permission to present yourself at the border to request entry and that date is indicated as your visa expiration. After that, as it relates to the USA, the I-94 then takes over and provides you the length of your authorized stay (in K-1 speak, the day to which you must be married on or before).

If you wanted to take the K-1 visa to its extreme limits you would not have to get married until almost 9 mos from visa issuance (6 mos. to physical entry into the USA + another 90 days for marriage to occur).

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I still believe though that it is incorrect to say that the visa expires on arrival day. With a K1 visa you maintain legal status while in the US for as long as the visa is valid - which is 180 days. Whether you get married within 90 days of arrival or not, you still have the option to remain in the country until expiration date. You are allowed to stay in the country as long as the K1 is unexpired.

The K-1 is a single use visa valid for 180 days from issuance, it expires 180 days from issuance if not used, if it is used it is voided at the POE so it is essentially EXPIRED by the POE, at that point the K-1 has 90 days of the I-94 card issued at the POE to get married. Two different clocks.

So a K-1 could wait 179 days from issuance of the K-1 travel to the USA, and still have 90 days to marry. The expire date on the VISA is only how long a person has to enter the country and has nothing to do with how long a person has until they marry.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Where do you get I-194 card???

10/11/2007 AOS packet mailed

10/12/2007 AOS packet received

10/22/2007 NOA for I-485, I-131, I-765

11/15/2007 Biometrics appointment.(Received 10/26/07)

11/15/2007 I-765 touched yeah!!

11/27/2007 I-765 touched, I-485, I-131

11/28/2007 I-765 approval notice sent and card ordered

11/28/2007 I-131 approved

12/8/2007 1-765 Received card in mail. Thank GOD

12/15/2007 I-485 Case Tranfered

12/18/2007 I-485 Touched

12/27/2007 I-485 Touched

1/10/2007 I-485 Touched

1/11/2007 I-485 Touched

3/13/2008 RFE received in mail (I-693)

3/14/2008 I-485 Touched

3/19/2008 RFE Mailed to California Service Center

4/01/2008 RFE Received and case resume

4/02/2008 Touched

4/08/2008 Touched

4/15/2008 Card Production Order

4/21/2008 Card received in mailbox!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.