nane1104

misconceptions and prejudices

137 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
When I was in school I told my friends that I was going to Colombia for summer vacation and one of them had this puzzled look on her face and then asked "How are you going to land?". She thought Colombia was all jungle. IDIOT! :rolleyes:

I think many people have this misconception about Latin American countries.. they have no idea our cities are just as big and as modern as other cities in the world. I've heard people asking if there's electricity over here? or if there's water in my house? I guess the idea of my country being all jungle comes from the fact that when they talk about Guatemala all they show on TV or magazines is Tikal (Ancient Mayan City) which is located in the middle of the jungle.. so people think the whole country is nothing but mayan ruins and jungle! LOL

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She gets the "do you speak spanish" with the follow-up "... oh ... they speak portuguese in brazil?"

also my co-workers only thought of bikinis :lol:

It's hard not to equate bikinis to Brazil :)

PS... ever see the movie Cidade de Deus (City of God)?

I think there is a difference if you just associate certain things to a country or region or culture of if you make assumptions or generalize like "all xy in xy are or do xy!"

Like you automatically associate the Oktoberfest to Germany and the Eiffeltower to Paris and the Staue of Liberty to the USA...

I've been to Germany a few times. Been to Munich but never during Oktoberfest. I equate Germany to quality engineering, fast cars, good roads, good beer, and well disciplined citizens.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline
LOL, no. That's a very specific german term and I believe, depending on the region, it even has different names, but that would be the most known. But no, I would not expect anyone to know that. It's just funny when people try to describe it.

Well, it is kind of a funny outfit. :yes:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
She gets the "do you speak spanish" with the follow-up "... oh ... they speak portuguese in brazil?"

also my co-workers only thought of bikinis :lol:

It's hard not to equate bikinis to Brazil :)

PS... ever see the movie Cidade de Deus (City of God)?

I think there is a difference if you just associate certain things to a country or region or culture of if you make assumptions or generalize like "all xy in xy are or do xy!"

Like you automatically associate the Oktoberfest to Germany and the Eiffeltower to Paris and the Staue of Liberty to the USA...

I've been to Germany a few times. Been to Munich but never during Oktoberfest. I equate Germany to quality engineering, fast cars, good roads, good beer, and well disciplined citizens.

:thumbs: the last one I wished...well, some are..you know..the famous exceptions, but yeah, in generalwe are pretty good in following rules and laws..lol

LOL, no. That's a very specific german term and I believe, depending on the region, it even has different names, but that would be the most known. But no, I would not expect anyone to know that. It's just funny when people try to describe it.

Well, it is kind of a funny outfit. :yes:

It is, I had one when I was 5! Silly. Wished I had a picture from that time. And I'm not even from Bavaria!!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

:thumbs: the last one I wished...well, some are..you know..the famous exceptions, but yeah, in generalwe are pretty good in following rules and laws..lol

I remember standing at a crosswalk and no one would cross the road against the light. Even when there was no traffic. I thought everyone was waiting for a parade or something.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

I remember standing at a crosswalk and no one would cross the road against the light. Even when there was no traffic. I thought everyone was waiting for a parade or something.

Hehe, yeah, that's a great example for the german law-obeying..lol

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Ppl are always asking my husband what language he speaks. I'm surprised that ppl don't know that Egyptians speak Arabic. Ppl also tend to think that Egypt is the same as it was in pharaonic times. He gets questions like, do you ride camels there? Oh and ppl also tend to think Egyptians dress in galabiyas (long white dress) and wear turbans like depicted in "The Mummy".

Edited by moody

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ppl are always asking my husband what language he speaks. I'm surprised that ppl don't know that Egyptians speak Arabic. Ppl also tend to think that Egypt is the same as it was in pharaonic times. He gets questions like, do you ride camels there?

Which kingdom did he live in? Upper or Lower Nile? ;)

LOL actually he's from the lower Nile (Nile delta) near the Mediterranean Sea.

Ppl are always asking my husband what language he speaks. I'm surprised that ppl don't know that Egyptians speak Arabic. Ppl also tend to think that Egypt is the same as it was in pharaonic times. He gets questions like, do you ride camels there?

Which kingdom did he live in? Upper or Lower Nile? ;)

Timeline
Ppl are always asking my husband what language he speaks. I'm surprised that ppl don't know that Egyptians speak Arabic. Ppl also tend to think that Egypt is the same as it was in pharaonic times. He gets questions like, do you ride camels there? Oh and ppl also tend to think Egyptians dress in galabiyas (long white dress) and wear turbans like depicted in "The Mummy".

I have to admit I wasn't sure about what language they speak either. My bad.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Some people from work were shocked when I told them I didn't know what a chimichanga was. I told them it was becuase I was colombian, not mexican. I honestly don't think they understood what I meant by that and they still think of me as mexican.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm trying to prep my fiancee as much as possible before she gets here, but I know no matter what I say or do she is going to face some insane stupidity, racism, prejudice, and miss a ton of things from China she takes for granted that are actually really nice to have that we don't have in the US.

Timeline
I'm trying to prep my fiancee as much as possible before she gets here, but I know no matter what I say or do she is going to face some insane stupidity, racism, prejudice, and miss a ton of things from China she takes for granted that are actually really nice to have that we don't have in the US.

Yepp. I am really happy to see that my husband more and more appreciates "german" things I introduce him to, anything from german dishes to some "german way of thinking"...it is interesting to mix both our backgrounds, specially since he is 50/50 african-american/filippino!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Oh and ppl also tend to think Egyptians dress in galabiyas (long white dress) and wear turbans like depicted in "The Mummy".

But don't they? I know not everyone does but I certainly saw many people that did on my trips there, especially outside of Cairo.

90day.jpg