Madao

Green card was undeliverable by USPS and returned to USCIS, Requested resend card, but no response from USCIS yet

18 posts in this topic

Just my luck, I had my I-751 approved and it showed the card was being produced on Jul 25 and sent on Jul 27th.  A USCIS approval noticed arrived on Jul 31st.  On the day the card was to arrive via the tracking number, I got a letter from USCIS stating that the I-751 was approved.  This caused the confusion as I mistaken the tracking number that was given was for the approval notice and not the card which would be sent later on.  The approval notice was also sent from Lees summit, MO so it matched with the tracking number source.  On the USCIS and USPS site, it showed that that the letter was delivered to the mailbox also on the day the notice arrived(this I'm thinking was the approval notice, though I thought it was strange they had a tracking number for an approval notice).   It wasn't until Aug 4th, the status was updated to mail was undeliverable and returning back to USCIS.  This caused me to realized that the tracking number was actually for the greencard, and that was not in the mailbox that day even though the approval notice was delivered that same day.

Frustrating that this is happening, but I'm guessing that the letter was either delivered to a wrong address or not processed properly by the post office and returned (made more frustrating because of the 2 pieces of mail from USCIS, they delivered 1, the approval notice, and misplaced the other one, the greencard).  If I had known, I may have been able to do something, but the approval notice made me think the tracking number was for it instead of the greencard.  Anyways, I started a service request to resend the green card on Aug 6th, and an email said expect a response by Sept 6.  I checked today, Sept 5th, and it says the request to resend the card hasn't been assigned for processing.  USCIS says if they don't get a new address update by Nov 4th, they will destroy the card.  I updated my address (before I had it sent to my buddy's address) just in case on August 15th to see if that would help the processing, but I haven't seen any progress.

Anybody had to deal with resending a returned greencard and how long it may take?  If it approaches the destruction date, is there anything else I can do to avoid them destroying the card.  I will try calling on the 7th if nothing happens tomorrow, but is there anything else I can do to help it along before it runs out of time and they destroy the greencard?

Here is a quick timeline

Jul 25 - Card being produced

Jul 27 - Card sent

Jul 31 - Received USCIS Approval notice for I-751; USPS shows letter delivered

Aug 4 - Card marked/changed as undeliverable by USPS and returned to USCIS

Aug 6 - Filed Service Request to resend card

Aug 15 - Updated Address (before it was being sent to a friend's house which I've never had an issue with before)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 hours ago, Madao said:

Just my luck, I had my I-751 approved and it showed the card was being produced on Jul 25 and sent on Jul 27th.  A USCIS approval noticed arrived on Jul 31st.  On the day the card was to arrive via the tracking number, I got a letter from USCIS stating that the I-751 was approved.  This caused the confusion as I mistaken the tracking number that was given was for the approval notice and not the card which would be sent later on.  The approval notice was also sent from Lees summit, MO so it matched with the tracking number source.  On the USCIS and USPS site, it showed that that the letter was delivered to the mailbox also on the day the notice arrived(this I'm thinking was the approval notice, though I thought it was strange they had a tracking number for an approval notice).   It wasn't until Aug 4th, the status was updated to mail was undeliverable and returning back to USCIS.  This caused me to realized that the tracking number was actually for the greencard, and that was not in the mailbox that day even though the approval notice was delivered that same day.

Frustrating that this is happening, but I'm guessing that the letter was either delivered to a wrong address or not processed properly by the post office and returned (made more frustrating because of the 2 pieces of mail from USCIS, they delivered 1, the approval notice, and misplaced the other one, the greencard).  If I had known, I may have been able to do something, but the approval notice made me think the tracking number was for it instead of the greencard.  Anyways, I started a service request to resend the green card on Aug 6th, and an email said expect a response by Sept 6.  I checked today, Sept 5th, and it says the request to resend the card hasn't been assigned for processing.  USCIS says if they don't get a new address update by Nov 4th, they will destroy the card.  I updated my address (before I had it sent to my buddy's address) just in case on August 15th to see if that would help the processing, but I haven't seen any progress.

Anybody had to deal with resending a returned greencard and how long it may take?  If it approaches the destruction date, is there anything else I can do to avoid them destroying the card.  I will try calling on the 7th if nothing happens tomorrow, but is there anything else I can do to help it along before it runs out of time and they destroy the greencard?

Here is a quick timeline

Jul 25 - Card being produced

Jul 27 - Card sent

Jul 31 - Received USCIS Approval notice for I-751; USPS shows letter delivered

Aug 4 - Card marked/changed as undeliverable by USPS and returned to USCIS

Aug 6 - Filed Service Request to resend card

Aug 15 - Updated Address (before it was being sent to a friend's house which I've never had an issue with before)

What a bummer! Sorry to hear that after all the wait the card didn't reach it's rightful owner. 

I dont think there's much you can do... It's probably some USCIS internal guidline that a returned card cant be re-sent so they most likely will get you a new one... usually takes two weeks. Their website says 2-4 weeks after approval

I-751 Timeline

04/03/2023 - Filed (UPS Elgin, IL Lockbox)

04/04/2023 - Received by USCIS 💌

04/07/2023 - Text Message with Case # 📲

04/11/2023 - Online Status changed to being Actively Reviewed 👀

04/14/2023 - Two USCIS Letters - Biometrics will be re-used / Log-in Info (Potomac Service Center 😰)

04/17/2023 - NOA FORM I-797 - 48 Month extension 🕗

9 hours ago, Madao said:

but is there anything else I can do to help it along before it runs out of time and they destroy the greencard?

I've been through this process and the only thing that helped was contacting USCIS via online chat every. single. day. until one of the agents put in a resend request and that was taken immediately to processing. I got the card only days after that but it took around two to three weeks of incessant contact because most agents wouldn't do anything or refuse do it until they received the green card back.

My green card was lost by USPS and never returned to USCIS so I knew I couldn't wait for it to ask a request. Rooting for your green card to be delivered soon!

Edited by jackiegringa

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

51 minutes ago, jackiegringa said:

I've been through this process and the only thing that helped was contacting USCIS via online chat every. single. day. until one of the agents put in a resend request and that was taken immediately to processing. I got the card only days after that but it took around two to three weeks of incessant contact because most agents wouldn't do anything or refuse do it until they received the green card back.

My green card was lost by USPS and never returned to USCIS so I knew I couldn't wait for it to ask a request. Rooting for your green card to be delivered soon!

Thanks, this is good to know.  I will start calling tomorrow after their allotted time to respond to the service request.  The card was returned to them and they should have it because the USPS tracking number showed it was returned to USCIS on Aug 11th.  Hopefully with the returned card and outside the response time, I can get them to take actions without having to constantly bug them about it, but I'll do it if I have to.

10 minutes ago, Madao said:

Thanks, this is good to know.  I will start calling tomorrow after their allotted time to respond to the service request.  The card was returned to them and they should have it because the USPS tracking number showed it was returned to USCIS on Aug 11th.  Hopefully with the returned card and outside the response time, I can get them to take actions without having to constantly bug them about it, but I'll do it if I have to.

I'd start calling today. I think timing is the key.

Uhh, so I tried calling 1-800-375-5283, but all the automated voice assistant does it send me links to the website.  It'll disconnect me if I tell it I want to speak to a person too many times.  I didn't hear a menu option, it just asks what you need help with.

I asked to check case status and return green card, but neither helped.  I didn't see an online chat option anymore.  Is there a category to reach an actual person.  What's the best way to reach USCIS these days.  Is it even possible, lol; all it does is send you back to the website and disconnect you if you asks to speak to an agent.

19 minutes ago, Madao said:

Uhh, so I tried calling 1-800-375-5283, but all the automated voice assistant does it send me links to the website.  It'll disconnect me if I tell it I want to speak to a person too many times.  I didn't hear a menu option, it just asks what you need help with.

I asked to check case status and return green card, but neither helped.  I didn't see an online chat option anymore.  Is there a category to reach an actual person.  What's the best way to reach USCIS these days.  Is it even possible, lol; all it does is send you back to the website and disconnect you if you asks to speak to an agent.

Did you try saying "Infopass"?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Madao said:

So I just checked the USCIS website, and the chat option is still there. 

image.png.cad21df46cb31a411d93fbc8573e454f.png

It was in the top right corner. You may have to scroll down a little (past the header) to see the option.

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

11 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

image.png.cad21df46cb31a411d93fbc8573e454f.png

It was in the top right corner. You may have to scroll down a little (past the header) to see the option.

Edited 10 minutes ago by beloved_dingo

Yes, and at first it will be automated but you will be connected to a tier 1 agent after giving some info. Keep at it until they resend it! Don't over explained either, just I need my green card to be remailed, USPS sent it back in error is enough.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

1 hour ago, jackiegringa said:

Yes, and at first it will be automated but you will be connected to a tier 1 agent after giving some info. Keep at it until they resend it! Don't over explained either, just I need my green card to be remailed, USPS sent it back in error is enough.

Thanks, I went the phone route, which was a pain because it wouldn't let you talk to somebody unless you knew what to say.  The computer disconnects you if you ask too many times to talk to an agent. The guy on the phone said USCIS will resend the card out, but I'll keep checking up on it, but hopefully today or tomorrow the case up will be updated with card being resent.

Do they require signature or will it be left in the mailbox.  The guy said it requires a signature and the mailman was suppose to leave a note to pick it up at the post office if there isn't anybody to sign and returned if not picked up in 10 days.  The last time no note was left for pickup, USPS showed delivered in mailbox (which it wasn't), then showed undeliverable and returned about a week later.  If they send a tracking number again, I will definitely be looking for it on the day of delivery and visiting the post office the day after if I didn't receive it.

8 minutes ago, Madao said:

The guy said it requires a signature and the mailman was suppose to leave a note to pick it up at the post office if there isn't anybody to sign and returned if not picked up in 10 days. 

Great, hope it comes soon enough. Just as an anecdote, I was also told a signature would be required and I worked from home the day I saw it on informed delivery but it was simply left inside my mailbox like normal mail.

event.png

Current processes:

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Just now, jackiegringa said:

Great, hope it comes soon enough. Just as an anecdote, I was also told a signature would be required and I worked from home the day I saw it on informed delivery but it was simply left inside my mailbox like normal mail.

Mine was left in the mailbox too, despite hold mail request and forwarding 😃

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Madao said:

Thanks, I went the phone route, which was a pain because it wouldn't let you talk to somebody unless you knew what to say.  The computer disconnects you if you ask too many times to talk to an agent. The guy on the phone said USCIS will resend the card out, but I'll keep checking up on it, but hopefully today or tomorrow the case up will be updated with card being resent.

Do they require signature or will it be left in the mailbox.  The guy said it requires a signature and the mailman was suppose to leave a note to pick it up at the post office if there isn't anybody to sign and returned if not picked up in 10 days.  The last time no note was left for pickup, USPS showed delivered in mailbox (which it wasn't), then showed undeliverable and returned about a week later.  If they send a tracking number again, I will definitely be looking for it on the day of delivery and visiting the post office the day after if I didn't receive it.

Just so you know - we did not have to sign for my husband's green card. I think that is the usual experience, regardless of what USCIS says. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.