curiousimmigrant3

Changing US embassy interview location

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. We submitted our IR1 almost 3 months ago in Brazil where I reside and am a citizen. Now we’ll be moving to europe as I have a pending residency request which is moving forward. So in the next couple of months I should also hold a Portuguese residency and we’ll be living there until the US visa is approved and issued.

My question is:

1) is it possible to change the US embassy interview location once the IR1 has been submitted?

It seems like it is but we’d need to send a written request to rhe embassy. If you have experiences doing this I’d appreciate to hear about it.

2) If it is possible, is it easy/attainable or does it add more time to the process? Or possibly less time depending in the embassy/country backlog?

Thanks in advance for the answers. We need to know this because this will affect our move and logistics in terms of extra flights and luggage we’d need to take with us.

1. based on ur post u already submitted i-130 3 months ago. so what does it mean change embassy once IR1 has been submitted? usually u move to another country, hold PR over there, u can send letter to USCIS to request change of venue/embassy location IF by the time you moved, ur -130 hasnt been approved yet. 

2. it depend on the specific country

2 hours ago, curiousimmigrant3 said:

Hi everyone. We submitted our IR1 almost 3 months ago in Brazil where I reside and am a citizen. Now we’ll be moving to europe as I have a pending residency request which is moving forward. So in the next couple of months I should also hold a Portuguese residency and we’ll be living there until the US visa is approved and issued.

My question is:

1) is it possible to change the US embassy interview location once the IR1 has been submitted?

It seems like it is but we’d need to send a written request to rhe embassy. If you have experiences doing this I’d appreciate to hear about it.

2) If it is possible, is it easy/attainable or does it add more time to the process? Or possibly less time depending in the embassy/country backlog?

Thanks in advance for the answers. We need to know this because this will affect our move and logistics in terms of extra flights and luggage we’d need to take with us.

1.) Are you the petitioner or the beneficiary? And do you live with your spouse/ will you be moving with your spouse?
You don’t have to do anything now. No need to inform USCIS you’ve moved. You will be assigned Brazil once the I130 is approved. Then you can contact NVC and request they change the consulate providing proof you live in Portugal now. If things remain the same you will interview in Paris, as Lisbon no longer processes immigrant visas. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Verrou said:

1. based on ur post u already submitted i-130 3 months ago. so what does it mean change embassy once IR1 has been submitted? usually u move to another country, hold PR over there, u can send letter to USCIS to request change of venue/embassy location IF by the time you moved, ur -130 hasnt been approved yet. 

2. it depend on the specific country

Change of Consulate is not a USCIS issue.  You do it at the NVC stage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.