tnkim

Prior K-1 Visa application date question

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm filling out the I-129F application and ran into an issue.

A little bit of background information: I previously filed (and got approved) for K-1 visa about 10 years ago. After 9 years of marriage, my ex-spouse and I agreed to part ways and we had an amicable divorce.

So I met someone new and filling out the K-1 visa application for the second time. However, I totally forgot the exact date of my last filing. This information is requested on Page 4, question #46 on the I-129F application.

I know the approximate time period (give or take a month), but the exact date I have no idea. Should I put the approximate date?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, tnkim said:

Hello,

I'm filling out the I-129F application and ran into an issue.

A little bit of background information: I previously filed (and got approved) for K-1 visa about 10 years ago. After 9 years of marriage, my ex-spouse and I agreed to part ways and we had an amicable divorce.

So I met someone new and filling out the K-1 visa application for the second time. However, I totally forgot the exact date of my last filing. This information is requested on Page 4, question #46 on the I-129F application.

I know the approximate time period (give or take a month), but the exact date I have no idea. Should I put the approximate date?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, an approximate date is fine.  Thats what I did. Once you check that box saying you had a previous K1, they are just going to search there systems to validate that you didn't have more than 1 previous approved I-129F partitions. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, W199 said:

Yes, an approximate date is fine.  Thats what I did. Once you check that box saying you had a previous K1, they are just going to search there systems to validate that you didn't have more than 1 previous approved I-129F partitions. 

And actually, not only did they find that I-129F with my approximate date but they found a 2nd approved i-129F from 30 years ago that I had completely forgotten about because it was a very short relationship 30 years that   I broke it off before  it got approved and before she had her visa appointment at the embassy.. But I neglected to withdraw it 

No big deal, yhe they sent me a RFIE with the 2 receipt numbers and asking me to apply for an IMBRA filing limitation waiver.  After they received the waiver, they approved my case in less than a week.

Edited by W199

Timeline
21 hours ago, tnkim said:

Thank you for sharing. I have some anxiety regarding that issue and tried to search around without any concrete answers. So thank you for sharing your case.

I will proceed with the rest of the application.

As I said, an approximate date is fine, but you could for the heck of it, put in a FOIA request at https://www.uscis.gov/records/request-records-through-the-freedom-of-information-act-or-privacy-act to try to get it if you were curious. It may not work, but it is free and easy to do. It only has been taking me 1-2 weeks to get replies including searching me in their databases.  But to be successful, limit your request to only your info, or they will deny it if it would involve releasing 3rd party info. For example, "Please send me all my receipt numbers for any I-129F applications that I submitted"  Try to provide the exact name and address that you had placed on the I-129F.".   Uploading a certified or a letter signed under the penalties of perjury that you are who you are seeking" may help. They denied my request for my old I-129F record because they said it would include private 3rd party info. But when I complained, they said the real reason was that it was so old that it was merged with the beneficiary's immigration record, and I would need to make a new request for the beneficiary's record with their permission, etc..  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.