jaywave

Joint sponsor possible tax issue

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
52 minutes ago, jaywave said:

went back to her taxes, it was the same amount she owes for either filing as single and MFS.

Did she contribute to a Roth IRA that year?

Does she live in a community property state?

56 minutes ago, jaywave said:

Lastly, I'm not sure how this is perjury

The plan to dissemble to the Department of State on her marital status, to make a more compelling I-864 is what?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

The plan to dissemble to the Department of State on her marital status, to make a more compelling I-864 is what?

That's one heck of a stretch.  She's going to indicate she is married and count her husband in her household.  In what way do you see her lying to the DOS?  The only issue is with the IRS, which is easy to fix.  Grasping and straws here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 8/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, Mike E said:

Did she contribute to a Roth IRA that year?

Does she live in a community property state?

As far as I'm aware, no. My guess is that my mom can file as "Single" because maybe she is allowed to do so. Also, I believe my mom was legally separated. I'm not her tax guy who said she can file as "Single". I don't have much information about her and her ex-husband (my mom finally got the divorce approved) past. From what I can see in her taxes, her taxes were simple with just a W2 form.

@pushbrk

It looks like my mom finally got her divorce about two days ago. She got a letter in writing saying this "As the Decree of Dissolution has been filed with the Court and approved by the Judge the above-captioned case is now complete, and there are no remaining issues to be dealt with."

My guess is since she is now divorce, my mom doesn't have to put "1" anymore because she is now not currently married?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, jaywave said:

As far as I'm aware, no. My guess is that my mom can file as "Single" because maybe she is allowed to do so. Also, I believe my mom was legally separated. I'm not her tax guy who said she can file as "Single". I don't have much information about her and her ex-husband (my mom finally got the divorce approved) past. From what I can see in her taxes, her taxes were simple with just a W2 form.

@pushbrk

It looks like my mom finally got her divorce about two days ago. She got a letter in writing saying this "As the Decree of Dissolution has been filed with the Court and approved by the Judge the above-captioned case is now complete, and there are no remaining issues to be dealt with."

My guess is since she is now divorce, my mom doesn't have to put "1" anymore because she is now not currently married?

If she is divorced as of the date she signs the affidavit, she would not enter 1 for a spouse.  Just think in terms of what is true in the present tense, and the answers are easy.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.