14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi. Sorry if this is on the wrong forum, I've searched and I couldn't seem to find any other topics relevant. I'm not quite moving to the US yet...me and my fiancé are currently in the process of the K1 visa. My last visit to the US was December 2022 before we filed. I am wanting to visit again for Christmas for about 6 weeks but I'm a very nervous flier and Immigration Officers terrify me. I came through Atlanta last time and I was through in about a minute, no questions asked...I got engaged during my visit and left when I was supposed to. 

I have found a flight from LHR to BNA, direct with British Airways. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with CBP there and if I should be worried about anything...especially being grilled. I landed in Nashville domestically last December so I didn't get to experience their POE. TSA was lovely though. 

I appreciate if any advice could be given on their experiences or if I should expect anything. Again, sorry if I put this on the wrong forum. Thanks!

3 hours ago, RetroPeach12 said:

Hi. Sorry if this is on the wrong forum, I've searched and I couldn't seem to find any other topics relevant. I'm not quite moving to the US yet...me and my fiancé are currently in the process of the K1 visa. My last visit to the US was December 2022 before we filed. I am wanting to visit again for Christmas for about 6 weeks but I'm a very nervous flier and Immigration Officers terrify me. I came through Atlanta last time and I was through in about a minute, no questions asked...I got engaged during my visit and left when I was supposed to. 

I have found a flight from LHR to BNA, direct with British Airways. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with CBP there and if I should be worried about anything...especially being grilled. I landed in Nashville domestically last December so I didn't get to experience their POE. TSA was lovely though. 

I appreciate if any advice could be given on their experiences or if I should expect anything. Again, sorry if I put this on the wrong forum. Thanks!

Bring evidence of your ties to home.  Are you taking a 6 week holiday from work?  Bring a letter attesting to that, with the day you're expected to return.

They may wonder if you plan to work remotely here while on vacation.  If so, don't.  That is not allowed.

Do not bring "moving house" volumes of belongings.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Bring evidence of your ties to home.  Are you taking a 6 week holiday from work?  Bring a letter attesting to that, with the day you're expected to return.

They may wonder if you plan to work remotely here while on vacation.  If so, don't.  That is not allowed.

Do not bring "moving house" volumes of belongings.  

I had to leave my job to take care of my grandfather full time. However, I do have obligations in the UK and I can’t just up and leave. I don’t have an employment contract as such and I gave up my apartment to move back in with my grandfather…I am undergoing medical treatment in the UK though and I’m on various medications which I can’t access in the US. Not sure that would mean anything to them. 

I’ve taken note of all their immigration laws and I wouldn’t jeopardise our current visa application. I’ll be packing very light. Just 1 medium suitcase, I took the same last time and had no issues. I just wanted to know if anybody had experienced Nashville IO’s so I knew what to be prepared for.

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.  

1 minute ago, RetroPeach12 said:

I am undergoing medical treatment in the UK though and I’m on various medications which I can’t access in the US.

This is not a strong tie.  Especially since you have demonstrated immigrant intent, so presumably you can get the medication in the US.

IMO, the POE shouldn't dictate how you prepare to interact with CBP.  It's a crapshoot every time, regardless of POE.

Edited by SalishSea

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

This is not a strong tie.  Especially since you have demonstrated immigrant intent, so presumably you can get the medication in the US.

IMO, the POE shouldn't dictate how you prepare to interact with CBP.  It's a crapshoot every time, regardless of POE.

That’s what I gathered. Regarding medication, I moreso meant it would be an extreme hassle for me to contact a doctor there. I know how it looks to CBP and it’s a shame when I have no intentions of overstaying. You’re right though. 

Would they even be able to see our K1 application? We applied in May and I’m aware we still have a long time to go. Would it be something that would pop up on their screen after they’ve scanned my passport or would that only be after NOA2 stage. 

I can only hope I have another smooth entrance like last Christmas with minimal questions. 

1 minute ago, RetroPeach12 said:

That’s what I gathered. Regarding medication, I moreso meant it would be an extreme hassle for me to contact a doctor there. I know how it looks to CBP and it’s a shame when I have no intentions of overstaying. You’re right though. 

Would they even be able to see our K1 application? We applied in May and I’m aware we still have a long time to go. Would it be something that would pop up on their screen after they’ve scanned my passport or would that only be after NOA2 stage. 

I can only hope I have another smooth entrance like last Christmas with minimal questions. 

I always assume CBP can see all documents and notes related to US immigration, but they don't publish that info.

Most likely you'll be fine, as long as you prepare to demonstrate strong ties to home.

I'd say the caregiver to grandpa is not a strong tie, since obviously you're preparing to leave that role when you immigrate.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SalishSea said:

I always assume CBP can see all documents and notes related to US immigration, but they don't publish that info.

Most likely you'll be fine, as long as you prepare to demonstrate strong ties to home.

I'd say the caregiver to grandpa is not a strong tie, since obviously you're preparing to leave that role when you immigrate.

Thank you for your advice. I’ll just take what I can and best case scenario, they don’t ask for it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If they mention the I-129F or probe for similar information, say something like, "I got engaged during my last visit and left when I was supposed to.  Afterward, we filed the I-129F.  This visit is to build evidence of a bona fide relationship to satisfy the London embassy.  If I need to return early to care for my ailing grandfather, I will."  They could hardly object to such knowledgeable candor.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
4 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

If they mention the I-129F or probe for similar information, say something like, "I got engaged during my last visit and left when I was supposed to.  Afterward, we filed the I-129F.  This visit is to build evidence of a bona fide relationship to satisfy the London embassy.  If I need to return early to care for my ailing grandfather, I will."  They could hardly object to such knowledgeable candor.

You’ve really eased my mind. Thank you so much for your advice 

I visited my ex-husband a year after we got married and my CR-1 was at NVC. The officer who let me in was a woman about my age back then and she thought it was super cute that I was visiting while the visa was in progress. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience. As others have said, it's a crapshoot, but I think the odds are on your side. 

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ketsuban said:

I visited my ex-husband a year after we got married and my CR-1 was at NVC. The officer who let me in was a woman about my age back then and she thought it was super cute that I was visiting while the visa was in progress. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience. As others have said, it's a crapshoot, but I think the odds are on your side. 

Thank you for your response. Was this Nashville specifically or just a general experience?? I'm flying out on the 21st of December so hopefully I have no issues as it's so close to Christmas. I'm happy to hear your experience went well, hopefully I'm up against an IO as sweet as yours was haha.

3 hours ago, RetroPeach12 said:

Thank you for your response. Was this Nashville specifically or just a general experience?? I'm flying out on the 21st of December so hopefully I have no issues as it's so close to Christmas. I'm happy to hear your experience went well, hopefully I'm up against an IO as sweet as yours was haha.

General experience. I used to come in through Newark Liberty 🙂

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

When I was waiting for my IR-1 visa, I visited my husband a number of times while he was in the U.S.  I always brought a copy of my NOA, round-trip ticket, lease, employment contract, and even the latest tax return of my home country. Never once any IO asked about those or raised any concern on my visit. Though I haven't flied directly to Nashville but I don't think the POE made any difference.

If question was asked, you may say “My fiancee has filed a petition for me and we just received the receipt notice for the case (if you have). As you understand the processing time is very long and I’d like to see my fiancee during this time. Due to his work he is not able to come and visit me. Instead I am visiting him (like I always have), I have no intentions to stay here as I have to return to xxx"... something alone that line.

Timeline
On 8/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, mave said:

When I was waiting for my IR-1 visa, I visited my husband a number of times while he was in the U.S.  I always brought a copy of my NOA, round-trip ticket, lease, employment contract, and even the latest tax return of my home country. Never once any IO asked about those or raised any concern on my visit. Though I haven't flied directly to Nashville but I don't think the POE made any difference.

If question was asked, you may say “My fiancee has filed a petition for me and we just received the receipt notice for the case (if you have). As you understand the processing time is very long and I’d like to see my fiancee during this time. Due to his work he is not able to come and visit me. Instead I am visiting him (like I always have), I have no intentions to stay here as I have to return to xxx"... something alone that line.

Thank you for your response. I feel a bit more relaxed about visiting now. I should be fine. 

We’ve received the receipt notice already so I’m going to bring along with me the NOA1 just incase. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.