HappyVegan

Non-US Spouse is Filing a I-751 Divorce Waiver - When can the US sponsor start their life over?

4 posts in this topic

I have a general question based on this timeline:

1. I-751 is filed and is pending (with both petitioner and sponsors signature)

2. Wife petitions husband for divorce 4-5 months after filing (No abuse/DV involved).

3. Wife files a divorce waiver with an attorney.

How soon after the divorce waiver is signed can the US sponsor start their over.  Will the US sponsor ever been able to do a spousal visa in the future? Or do they have to wait for the divorce waiver to be filed and the previous I-751 be cancelled?

~~ Topic moved to Effects of Major Family Changes” forum to be among similar threads ~~

2 minutes ago, HappyVegan said:

Will the US sponsor ever been able to do a spousal visa in the future?

Yes. As long as you’re legally free to marry.

3 minutes ago, HappyVegan said:

Or do they have to wait for the divorce waiver to be filed and the previous I-751 be cancelled?

No. Also it doesn’t get canceled, it gets converted to a divorce waiver petition.

You are still be on the hook for I-864 until one of the criteria for it to end is met. So far from what you have described I don’t see that it has ended, so make sure if you do sponsor someone in the future to also include your ex spouse in a new I-864.

5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved to Effects of Major Family Changes” forum to be among similar threads ~~

Yes. As long as you’re legally free to marry.

No. Also it doesn’t get canceled, it gets converted to a divorce waiver petition.

You are still be on the hook for I-864 until one of the criteria for it to end is met. So far from what you have described I don’t see that it has ended, so make sure if you do sponsor someone in the future to also include your ex spouse in a new I-864.

Thank you for the information. Yes the I-864 would then be effective for 2 people. That is good to know.

~~ Duplicate thread removed; please keep all related questions in one thread as to keep the discussion in one place and to avoid cluttering the forums ~~

10 minutes ago, HappyVegan said:

Are there any limits on the number of K1 visas or I-I30 spousal visas you can file? Has anyone been in this position before and has filed numerous applications.  The difficult thing about International Dating is you start off with the perfect most amazing wife and then bad outside influences can quickly destroy a marriage.  Or other guys are relentless in trying to steal your wife because she is beautiful.  As a US sponsor there is nothing you can do in these situations and become helpless.

No limits (except K1 but plenty of people have received a multiple filer waiver to sponsor more that 1 fiancé) but the more you do, the more it might be scrutinized. This will depend on the circumstances of course. 

If international dating has proven difficult, you should look into the local dating scene.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.