rebeccajo

"Filer" threads

189 posts in this topic

I suggested the much criticized K1 subforum mainly because I saw some of the same hysteria that RJ mentioned - meaning people start to panic if their case is not adjudicated at the same rate as someone else's (who filed around the same time as them). I thought it'd be nice to have a section where people who have not yet filed could go to get answers w/out having to wade through the mass of 'tracking' threads.

I figured it was only a matter of time before those same type threads spread around the board. I think the idea of it for AOS is totally useless, quite frankly, and I have no interest in participating in the one I would 'qualify' for - mainly because I can't see what it would gain me. I may scan it to see the user names of folks who started AOS around our same time, but that's about it. That is information which, if I really wanted it (and these threads didn't exist), I could find via the VJ timeline.

I agree with RJ on this one, but I also am quite aware that this seems to be the direction folks here want to go in. Why, I have no idea.

I thought you suggested that cos it hurt you to see people gettign approved before you?

Essentially, that's true - which is sort of what I said above, without making it personal. Although I'm not sure I'd describe what I felt as 'hurt'; panicked or worried is probably a better term.

So you and D finally filed, eh? I thought it was supposed to be in January? Oh well, January, July - guess it doesn't make much difference.

You shouldn't try to not 'make it personal' when it was actually a personal motivation. It wasn't an issue for you until it was an issue for you, if ya get what I'm sayin.

Yep, D and I finally filed! TY. Although your little snark about Jan-July not making much difference was uncalled for. Don't be disillusioned that you truly know me, Tracy...or know our situation enough to be so flippant about our time delay. It's petty & uncalled for. You and Chas had a delay too, didn't you? Would 7 mos apart be 'not much difference'? How would you like someone making those comments to you?

I understand what you're saying. My original comment in this thread was in general terms, mainly because I didn't think it really mattered to the point I was trying to make about the 'filer' threads.

If you saw that as snarky, or petty & uncalled for, then that's your interpretation. I guess I hit a nerve - but the actual point I was trying to make was exactly as you stated - 7 months for those of us who are/were in long distance relationships is really not that long.

If you want to argue today, you're barking up the wrong tree. Find another person to play with - I can't be bothered.

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested the much criticized K1 subforum mainly because I saw some of the same hysteria that RJ mentioned - meaning people start to panic if their case is not adjudicated at the same rate as someone else's (who filed around the same time as them). I thought it'd be nice to have a section where people who have not yet filed could go to get answers w/out having to wade through the mass of 'tracking' threads.

I figured it was only a matter of time before those same type threads spread around the board. I think the idea of it for AOS is totally useless, quite frankly, and I have no interest in participating in the one I would 'qualify' for - mainly because I can't see what it would gain me. I may scan it to see the user names of folks who started AOS around our same time, but that's about it. That is information which, if I really wanted it (and these threads didn't exist), I could find via the VJ timeline.

I agree with RJ on this one, but I also am quite aware that this seems to be the direction folks here want to go in. Why, I have no idea.

I thought you suggested that cos it hurt you to see people gettign approved before you?

Essentially, that's true - which is sort of what I said above, without making it personal. Although I'm not sure I'd describe what I felt as 'hurt'; panicked or worried is probably a better term.

So you and D finally filed, eh? I thought it was supposed to be in January? Oh well, January, July - guess it doesn't make much difference.

I remember I suggested something like a separate forum just because you couldn't turn around without running into an NOA2!!!!11!!! post, which made questions fall off the front page too quickly.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

The new members intro PM could be based on this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=newmembers

but updated with newer guide information as well...

just a starting point at least.

This is excellent. :thumbs:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

When our petition was being processed, there were forums for each service center and I participated in the Texas Service Center forum during that time. I think it gave people a more accurate vision of how long their NOA2 might take. The problem with that though was that us TSC-ers at the time were annoyed that people going through VSC got very fast approvals while people waited a long time at TSC(and other centers).

If people in the monthly filer threads understand that they will not all have similar timeliness if they are filing at different centers, but still want the support, then that's fine. If people are panicking when their petition is not done while everyone else's in that filers group is, I can see the problem there but still they should have realized that not every petition goes at the same speed. If the overall feeling is that a lot of people like them, and just a few don't, then I don't think they should go.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline
Lisa - Kindly read and attempt to comprehend my entire post. Doing so will fully explain to you what I meant. Not what you'd like to believe I meant.

becca...your first post here...'these threads need to be killed...they serve no purpose whatsoever' is what I'm referring to. Because YOU felt they were pointless, you have no problem coming and pizzing all over something that apparantly gives joy to many on here.

There is no 'job' for any of us at VJ. If people choose to go this process without a lawyer, THEY are responsible for finding the information....Not 'omG! there's an answer here! We can't have it buried for those who are gormless!' You're not a lifeguard manning a beach...what you're doing is essentailly making there be a higher level of micro management for those who are too lazy or unwilling/unable to use a search button. Which I find completely ridiculous. Because the same answer is given countless times over if one chooses to actually LOOK.

Your original post offended me and many here who take value out of those threads.

And many also agreed with it, but we are old gits so our opinion means nothing.... :wacko: Now that you've (finally) filed all of a sudden you know all about immigration & how VJ best works? :no:

No one said VJ was ever a job, Lisa. RJ has helped hundreds of VJers, so when she suggests something I hope admin listens. I do. It's not hard to see the recent craziness & lack of control on VJ is an issue.

Filed: Other Timeline
The red text however in the menu might be odd though so we probably would have to find another way to emphasize them ;).

LOL..........I don't think it matters what color you make it. As long as they are easier to see! Might be a good idea to somehow 'illuminate' the tabs above the happy couples as well.

The new members intro PM could be based on this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=newmembers

but updated with newer guide information as well...

just a starting point at least.

Great starting point! At first blush though, I'm thinking we might need to make it less wordy and more like 'sound-bytes'. But I admit I'm at work and haven't had the time to fully read it yet.

When our petition was being processed, there were forums for each service center and I participated in the Texas Service Center forum during that time. I think it gave people a more accurate vision of how long their NOA2 might take. The problem with that though was that us TSC-ers at the time were annoyed that people going through VSC got very fast approvals while people waited a long time at TSC(and other centers).

If people in the monthly filer threads understand that they will not all have similar timeliness if they are filing at different centers, but still want the support, then that's fine. If people are panicking when their petition is not done while everyone else's in that filers group is, I can see the problem there but still they should have realized that not every petition goes at the same speed. If the overall feeling is that a lot of people like them, and just a few don't, then I don't think they should go.

Service Center threads make a lot more 'sense' than 'monthly' threads,IMO. At least the 'work flow' for all petitioners in that thread will be similar.

Yeah, if people like these threads, I guess that makes up for any disadvantages. We can only hope they are occasionally stepping outside the threads for a 'real world' glimpse of their process.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Lisa - Kindly read and attempt to comprehend my entire post. Doing so will fully explain to you what I meant. Not what you'd like to believe I meant.

becca...your first post here...'these threads need to be killed...they serve no purpose whatsoever' is what I'm referring to. Because YOU felt they were pointless, you have no problem coming and pizzing all over something that apparantly gives joy to many on here.

There is no 'job' for any of us at VJ. If people choose to go this process without a lawyer, THEY are responsible for finding the information....Not 'omG! there's an answer here! We can't have it buried for those who are gormless!' You're not a lifeguard manning a beach...what you're doing is essentailly making there be a higher level of micro management for those who are too lazy or unwilling/unable to use a search button. Which I find completely ridiculous. Because the same answer is given countless times over if one chooses to actually LOOK.

Your original post offended me and many here who take value out of those threads.

And many also agreed with it, but we are old gits so our opinion means nothing.... :wacko: Now that you've (finally) filed all of a sudden you know all about immigration & how VJ best works? :no:

No one said VJ was ever a job, Lisa. RJ has helped hundreds of VJers, so when she suggests something I hope admin listens. I do. It's not hard to see the recent craziness & lack of control on VJ is an issue.

I wish people could discuss issues without making digs at each other. Not just saying this towards you D but everyone who has their little digs towards each other in this thread. The same people are always bickering with each other.

I am an "old git" and I didn't totally agree with becca. I know she has some valid points about people panicking but still if overall people like them, then leave them or figure out something else but don't just delete them all.

And I don't understand how when someone files their petition has any effect on what they know. Lisa and Tracy and many others have been on VJ for a long time before filing,and how long they wait to file is not our business, and they have been able to learn just as much while waiting, probably even more than those who sign up to VJ the day before filing, so I don't see how that has any bearing on this topic besides being a dig about when they filed.

Service Center threads make a lot more 'sense' than 'monthly' threads,IMO. At least the 'work flow' for all petitioners in that thread will be similar.

Yeah, if people like these threads, I guess that makes up for any disadvantages. We can only hope they are occasionally stepping outside the threads for a 'real world' glimpse of their process.

I agree there. :thumbs:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

I am an "old git" and I didn't totally agree with becca. I know she has some valid points about people panicking but still if overall people like them, then leave them or figure out something else but don't just delete them all.

It's interesting though, that even though people like the threads, many of the posters in this thread admit they eventually left filer threads after they became to difficult to migrate.

Meh........not everyone is going to like the same thing. I would though like to see some of the more enlightening conversations pruned out of those threads into a new thread. And that opinion holds for any lengthy thread - not just the filer threads.

I also believe that a 'monthly' mindset is creating a false sense of normal case progression amongst new members. The month you filed for a benefit has little to do with how your case should move along. We know this because of the wide disparity of performance between the two Service Centers. With AOS, it makes even less difference as District Offices are wildly different from one another in performance. Not to mention the dichotomy of AOS transfers to CSC, which causes some petitions to come to completion far earlier than others.

I understand the 'who you want to hang out' aspect of 'monthly filer' threads. But for some reason, there seems to be growing hysteria in our community regarding the speed in which cases are approved. I do not know what is causing this. I am wondering if the possible cause is members spending too much time within those threads, and not venturing out into the rest of the community to learn the full picture.

I think the idea is that we don't want these "filer threads" becoming the main staple of this community. As RJ reiterated, there seems to be a lot of people freaking out because their petition isn't getting approved in comparison to other people - a common filing date can't establish the norm in how quickly a petition receives a NOA2 due to location and unique factors to each case. While I understand the filer threads establishing a camarderie within the community and helping each other through the process, it leaves a false sense of perception and anticipation, hence why I believe we're seeing quasi-hysteria directed at the lack of approvals. What we can hope is that everyone is doing their research and being cognizant of the fact that each and every case is unique.

There's always going to be somebody out there that's frustrated at someone else's faster approval. And understandably we can't please everyone - but at least we can offer our opinions as to what will help the overall purpose of the site.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

I just noticed something............

Lisa, here's a thread you started the other day in the K1 forum.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80123

This is actually quite good and a bit like what I had in mind for a tutorial.

I'm pointing to the thread wondering if you would consider this 'micro-management' or 'immigration help-desk'? Seems to me it might help make things user-friendly.

I like your post. It would be nice to think you could allow for other people to make suggestions also. Not all suggestions are 'bad' just because you are not fond of the source of the query.

I'm pointing to the thread wondering if you would consider this 'micro-management' or 'immigration help-desk'? Seems to me it might help make things user-friendly.

I think it's great but Cap'n had a thread pinned in there already. We already have the guides. No one reads them, no matter how pretty or witty you make it.

Discussed here last week:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80060

It's a never ending circle. Noobs don't read, you point out the guides, noobs get mad they are not spoonfed. Monthly threads create hysteria. That July AOS one for example, ONE PERSON got an RFE, and then all the others assumed they would. No one who knows better goes in to correct the misinformation - so it spreads. :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I think it's great but Cap'n had a thread pinned in there already. We already have the guides. No one reads them, no matter how pretty or witty you make it.

It's a never ending circle. Noobs don't read, you point out the guides, noobs get mad they are not spoonfed. Monthly threads create hysteria. That July AOS one for example, ONE PERSON got an RFE, and then all the others assumed they would. No one who knows better goes in to correct the misinformation - so it spreads. :wacko:

I thought it was a great topic and even more I took the content she posted and moved it into the pinned thread :).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=300

That pinned topic is a launching pad of sorts that allows new K-1 people to get a feel of where to look when they are new to the process :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

I thought it was a great topic and even more I took the content she posted and moved it into the pinned thread :) .

I said I liked it but that content was already there - or in the Guides - just not as casually written. It doesn't change the fact that no one reads the guides! ;)